Thread: Kotaro Yamada

Kotaro Yamada

I was looking through the pictures on the NHL site on Yahoo.com when I saw Kotaro Yamada pop up under the Islanders' prospect camp. Apparently he's the captain of the U-18 team for Japan, but does anybody know anything else about him? It'd be great if he actually was able to further his hockey career by signing with the Islanders, or any other NHL team for that matter.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Prospect

Japan Kotaro Yamada

this was the closest i could find:

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php...gueid=&season=

this is a very good website. and it would be great to see him play some pro or junior hockey in north america next season.

IHF Member
    It's high time we see an Asian/Oriental forward in the NHL.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IceHockeyRULEZ View Post
    It's high time we see an Asian/Oriental forward in the NHL.

IHF Member
    But are they born in the Orient or raised in North America? I know Watanabe is an American and half Japanese.

IHF Member
    Who is that #10 in the Islanders uniform in the pic above. It's not Kotaro Yamada because this is him:

http://www.faceoff.com/Kotaro+Yamada...074/story.html

IHF Member
    its Richard Park....hes been in the NHL since 1994.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6207

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    its Richard Park....hes been in the NHL since 1994.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6207
    Of course. He played with the Minnesota Wild too.

But I checked the Isles roster and he's not there anymore.

Who is the guy in the Avalance jersey?

IHF Member
    thats you in the avalanche jersey.

Brandon Yip.of course

Park was an UFA after this past season. Yip is going to be in his second year for the Avs, and he played four years at Boston University. Devin Setoguchi has been pretty solid on the Sharks, say what you will about them being one of the top teams in the regular season. Yutaka Fukufuji was drafted out of the Japanese National Team and played a few games with the Kings. But still, it'd be nice to see more players of Oriental descent/directly from Asian countries; I'm part Taiwanese, so it'd be nice to see some variety in the NHL too, but that's just my Asian side speaking, haha.
    Last edited by Conesy; 31-08-2010 at 20:41. Reason: additional information

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Park was an UFA after this past season. Yip is going to be in his second year for the Avs, and he played four years at Boston University. Devin Setoguchi has been pretty solid on the Sharks, say what you will about them being one of the top teams in the regular season. Yutaka Fukufuji was drafted out of the Japanese National Team and played a few games with the Kings. But still, it'd be nice to see more players of Oriental descent/directly from Asian countries; I'm part Taiwanese, so it'd be nice to see some variety in the NHL too, but that's just my Asian side speaking, haha.
    Yes that's what I've been saying. There's no reason we couldn't see a skating speedster from the Orient.

I know that there have been world class Japanese marathon runners who run at a 5 minute pace for 26 miles! If you want to get an idea how fast that is then get on treadmill at 12 mph and you'll have trouble staying on for more than a couple minutes or maybe just a few seconds.

I know hockey is different but not THAT much different. You could have a decent Oriental forward in the NHL who could be a regular on the 3rd or 4th line or maybe even the 2nd line.

I think it will happen one day but it just hasn't happened yet.

Yes that's what I've been saying. There's no reason we couldn't see a skating speedster from the Orient.

I know that there have been world class Japanese marathon runners who run at a 5 minute pace for 26 miles! If you want to get an idea how fast that is then get on treadmill at 12 mph and you'll have trouble staying on for more than a couple minutes or maybe just a few seconds.

I know hockey is different but not THAT much different. You could have a decent Oriental forward in the NHL who could be a regular on the 3rd or 4th line or maybe even the 2nd line.

Well I doubt that physical parameters are the ones that restricts us from seeing more high class hockey players with oriental descent. Maybe height and body mass but even that is not a strong argument since there are many big asians as well.

IHF Member

actually,hockey is THAT much different. have you ever, or do you play hockey? running is completely different than being on skates..

richard park was decent. and an NHL regular for many years.. Brandon Yip looks like he will be a regular as well..

as long as hockey is looked at as a niche sport in those countries its likely we will never see a star "orient". From what I see, many of the Korean and Japanese players chooese to stay in the asian leagues. And when playing there against good but not great talent, the sport will only develop so much..

as long as hockey is looked at as a niche sport in those countries its likely we will never see a star "orient". From what I see, many of the Korean and Japanese players chooese to stay in the asian leagues. And when playing there against good but not great talent, the sport will only develop so much..
    Indeed! Using my personal anecdote, I've gotten a ton better playing against some top players in pickup hockey; applying this to the Japanese and Korean leagues, it would probably help raise competition both locally and (hopefully) the inevitable rise of national competition.

They have also Paul Kariya who have japanese roots

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbemaigre View Post
    They have also Paul Kariya who have japanese roots
    Yeah, he is half Canadian though.

I remember one time during an interview around the 94 Olympics when Kariya actually dissed his Japanese heritage! It wasn't a major diss or anything but maybe he got tired of people who kept asking him questions about it.

Paul Kariya also has two brothers, Martin and Steve, both of whom were playing in Europe last I checked

IHF Member
    actually,hockey is THAT much different. have you ever, or do you play hockey? running is completely different than being on skates..

richard park was decent. and an NHL regular for many years.. Brandon Yip looks like he will be a regular as well..

Those are good points BUT it could happen if you have a very gifted skater from the Orient and he extrapolates those skills into ice hockey.

After all China, Japan, and Korea all do very well in Speed Skating at the Winter Olympics. I know that is very different from ice hockey BUT if they can use that speed in playing hockey as well there is chance, albeit small, they could crack the NHL as a skating player.

Paul Kariya also has two brothers, Martin and Steve, both of whom were playing in Europe last I checked
    Martin played last year with Dinamo Riga. Didn't produce as much as expected but I guess that was due to the trauma he got early in the season. And if you can't really tell that Paul is of asian descent then Martin is all out asian.

IHF Member
    Those are good points BUT it could happen if you have a very gifted skater from the Orient and he extrapolates those skills into ice hockey.

After all China, Japan, and Korea all do very well in Speed Skating at the Winter Olympics. I know that is very different from ice hockey BUT if they can use that speed in playing hockey as well there is chance, albeit small, they could crack the NHL as a skating player.
    im not speaking from a wealth of knowledge here, but if we try to apply what youre saying to countries that play inline hockey, or even Bandy ,then well see such nations as Brazil, Argentina and Mongolia producing great hockey players. But we probably wont. Ice Hockey is a completely different animal. Id love to see it too, I root for the underdog. But its very rare. It would really have to be a needle in a haystack , generational talent kind of player. It wont happen until those countries take the game seriously and want to really push it to the next level. I think its been touched upon on the website before, but the perceived reason why they do great at that Individual sport of speed skating is that its worth the time and money invested to win a medal. Japan, China and Korea may have to put 20+ years of extremely hard work into an ice hockey program to even make the olympics. Let alone win a medal against someone such as Canada, Sweden etc..
    Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 07-09-2010 at 19:38.

im not speaking from a wealth of knowledge here, but if we try to apply what youre saying to countries that play inline hockey, or even Bandy ,then well see such nations as Brazil, Argentina and Mongolia producing great hockey players. But we probably wont. Ice Hockey is a completely different animal. Id love to see it too, I root for the underdog. But its very rare. It would really have to be a needle in a haystack , generational talent kind of player. It wont happen until those countries take the game seriously and want to really push it to the next level. I think its been touched upon on the website before, but the perceived reason why they do great at that Individual sport of speed skating is that its worth the time and money invested to win a medal. Japan, China and Korea may have to put 20+ years of extremely hard work into an ice hockey program to even make the olympics. Let alone win a medal against someone such as Canada, Sweden etc..
    Some of it is just the disparity of hockey rinks, some more is due to the lack of equipment, etc. There are plenty of reasons why certain countries either don't touch hockey or that they struggle to really promote the growth of the sport.

But also, I will point out how Japan is a solid Division 1 team at the WC every year. Now, will they make it to the Elite level soon? That's debatable. Do they have the potential to reach it? Yes, but it will take a few more years and I think a bit of a push by the federation, IMO.

IHF Member
    Some of it is just the disparity of hockey rinks, some more is due to the lack of equipment, etc. There are plenty of reasons why certain countries either don't touch hockey or that they struggle to really promote the growth of the sport.

But also, I will point out how Japan is a solid Division 1 team at the WC every year. Now, will they make it to the Elite level soon? That's debatable. Do they have the potential to reach it? Yes, but it will take a few more years and I think a bit of a push by the federation, IMO.
    True and Japan has beaten many European countries at the World Championships.

IHF Member
    Japan hasnt been in the top division since they no longer had the asian qualifiers(I think the IIHF gave the asian teams a chance at an automatic spot from 98-04 in the top division.Usually only games between South Korea, Japan and China) Japan qualified every time and finished last in the top division all but twice.14th and 15th place.) .. The best theyve done since is a few 3rd place finishes in division I.

I think they are a staple at the div 1 level unless the ladder teams such as austria, kazakhstan, france, ukraine , italy ,,Slovenia, Hungary are terrible for a year or 2...

Looking ahead at 2011.. its gonna be tough..

2011 IIHF World Championship Division I

Group A in Budapest, Hungary, 17-23 April 2011
    Participants: Italy, Hungary, Japan, Netherlands, Korea, Spain.

Its going to be between Italy and Hungary. The Netherlands can beat Japan on a good day. South Korea has a chance to beat the netherlands and japan although unlikely. Spain will go down but not without a fight..

Bronze for Japan.

the cycle continues.
    Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 08-09-2010 at 08:59.

Hey well, a single break can do it this year, or any given year for that matter

Thread Information