Thread: Salary in German ice hockey leagues

Germany Salary in German ice hockey leagues

Hey guys, can someone tell me how much money the players in the DEL, 2. Bundesliga and Oberliga are paid for playing a season? I know that most foreigners get far more and that there are tremendous differences between the different clubs but do not know exactly what German players are paid for example.

I appreciate any help.

IHF Member
    Nobody really knows or does want to tell. On in DEL average salary costs per team are about 3 million euros, which would make an average of 10 000 Euros per month per player.

I actually don't think that in general foreign players really earn a lot more than German players.

IHF Member
    Does anyone know about salaries in the 2GBun or Oberliga for Imports?

Yeah i want to know that as well!So how much do the players get in 2.Bundesliga(approximately) and what is the average budget of 2.Bundesliga team?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Two guys I played with played in the Oberliga. They were getting around 100 Euro per game (if they won), but a lot of time they didn't get paid for weeks on end. Team gave them an apartment, and sometimes food. Booster clubs for the teams helped the players get food sometimes. They both had an agent that got them spots on teams over there.

Some other guys I trained with knew a coach that was over there and got them spots, I don't think they got much money at all. Just food and house.

Well thank u for your kind reply.I hope that u still play ice hockey!Any info about 2.Bundesliga club budget and average salary?

German 2Bundesliga is roughly comparable to the British Elite League from what I'm guessing......Max Birbraer played there after having played a couple of seasons in the British EIHL, and then went back to the EIHL. Accordingly, the salary for imports would be a lot more than what the Oberliga would offer, but a lot less than DEL.

Ok thnx a lot!That answers my question!I found this data about salary in EIHL: 74,000 USD (54,000 euro) is average amount.So that should be it!Thank u once again.It's very hard to get such info so i appreciate this a lot!

IHF Member
    I know I am responding late to this thread, but one of the owners of a bar I used to work at was one of Derek King's (former Islander) best freind. I got to meet Derek a number of times.

He went over to Germany when Derek went there to play in the DEL and he told me that Derek was getting over $200,000 for the season. Plus house and car. In fact the whole team got a Mercedes. I am not sure what they are getting now.

In the meantime (more than a year after my initial post) I found a lot of examples for the diffent salaries. DEL is a great place for foreigners so we have a lot of former NHL players there. The best players get up to 350.000 euro which at the moment is 487.000 us dollars but thats only possible if you play for Berlin or Mannheim.

Other players get around 80.000-120.000 us dollars. The salary is very similar to the AHL, but good German players often get more so they refuse to play AHL after they are draftet by NHL teams if they dont see the possibility of playing in the NHL.

And in the 2. Bundesliga the salary is very similar to the ECHL (so thats why you see many players of these leagues in the DEL/2. Bundesliga).

To play in Oberliga as a foreigner is just for having the chance to live in Europe and maybe you get a 2. Bundesliga spot after it.

IHF Prospect
    Guys,how many international player can play in Germany Oberliga?

Thread Information