Thread: African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey

African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey

First ever tournament will take place september 19th - 26th 2009 in South Africa, more info to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey_Algeria View Post
    First ever tournament will take place september 19th - 26th 2009 in South Africa, more info to come.
    I am really looking forward to this tournament, can't wait for the results!
    Which teams will it be? Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa?
    I know Egypt, Kenya and Ivory Coast has a rink, but I doubt they will play, or?
    What about Namibia?

More info

This is the first event of its kind within the African Continent. The very first addition of the African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey will be contested between 3 Countries. The Countries are South Africa, Algeria and Morocco.
    The tournament is scheduled to take place from Saturday 19th September to Saturday 26th September 2009.

The venue is Festival Mall Ice Rink which is situated withing Festival Shopping Centre in Kempton Park.

The games will be played from 17:15 to 19:30 daily.
    There will be practice sessions every morning starting at 7am with RSA having the ealy morning practices. Anybody who like to attend these sessions and watch the teams is more then welcome as they will be free.

The schedule for the 2009 edition of the African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey is as Follow:

Saturday 19 September 2009 - RSA vs Algeria 17:15
    Sunday 20th September 2009 - RSA vs Morocco 17:15
    Monday 21st September 2009 - Morocco vs Algeria 17:15
    Tuesday 22nd September 2009 - RSA vs Algeria 17:15
    Wednesday 23rd September 2009 - OFF DAY
    Thursday 24th September 2009 - Algeria Vs Morocco 17:15
    Friday 25th September 2009 - RSA vs Morocco 17:15
    Saturday 26th September 2009 - Final 17:15

The final game will be contested by the 2 teams with most wins or points at the end of the 6 preliminary games.

There will be a after party on the Saturday Evening after the game. The venue will be determined at a later stage.

The Rosters of the teams competing in the 2009 addition will be posted as soon as they are available.

There is little known about the Algerian and Moroccan National teams other then thay competed in the ARAB Cup in 2008. Both National teams have a number of players applying their trade as semi-professionals and professions in teams in Europe as well as in Canada.

The South African team will be made up of players who all play locally for this year. We are hoping that with some backing we will be able to get our players from Canada, Switzerland and Scotland for the 2010 installment of the championships.

We hope to have your support and to fill the rink everynight.

Come out and Support Team RSA.

a page on Facebook about Cup

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3016768&ref=ts

nice logo:

Any additional information from any of the teams as to who will be on the rosters for this tournament?

we should be carrying roughly the same team who played in france couple months ago, captain harond litim is out with a broken arm we're waiting to see if it will heal in time.

Hakim Boukhaloua who is our 2nd highest scorer but missed france should be back in the team.

When will this be finalised? And could you post the roster when it is?

I've spoken with a couple people in South Africa and their roster should be selected within a week or so, hopefully.

I'm curious to know what Morocco will look like as well.

This will be very interesting. Hopefully if things work out we'll be able to add teams (perhaps Tunisia as has been mentioned, or even Namibia outfitted with ice skates?)

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    When will this be finalised? And could you post the roster when it is?

I've spoken with a couple people in South Africa and their roster should be selected within a week or so, hopefully.

This will be very interesting. Hopefully if things work out we'll be able to add teams (perhaps Tunisia as has been mentioned, or even Namibia outfitted with ice skates?)
    we're waiting on some sponsorship and government issues before we confirm the team, it could be a small squad for couple reasons, 1 the tournament coincides with ramadan/eid, 2 the tournament coincides with the start of some leagues the players play in.

With the moroccans ive heard captain saad tawfik will be playing and also yassin ahrazem who i think was their top scorer in the arab cup. Ive also seen they have 2 new goalies.

We were considering namibia as a few of their players are supposed to play ice hockey in south africa, and tunisia were interested but only have around 10 players and are still in their early stage.

South Africa roster announced

Alexei Paizee
    Andre Marais
    Anton Pretorious
    Ashley Bock
    Berni Gouws
    Brendon Stevens
    Burton Matthews
    Chris Englebrecht
    Clinton Foy
    Cyle Labuschagne
    Damien Cordosa
    David Burger
    David Watson
    Deen Magmoed
    Franco Habib
    Gareth Miller
    Gary Bock
    George Lyon
    Gerard Habib
    Grant Van Eeckhoven
    Jack Valadas
    Jarryd Goodwin
    Kieren Edge
    Klyde Stevens
    Kyle Van Rooyen
    Marc Giot
    Michael Fraquet
    Ryan Marsh
    Uthman Samaai

Almost all the squad from last IHWC, will be a tough oppenent for Algeria and Morocco

official site is now up!!

http://www.africa-nations-cup.co.za

IHF Prospect

African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey

I am one of the committee members doing all the organising of the tournament and it has been quite a job getting it all organised. By tomorrow afternoon we will know for definate whether the tournament is taking place between the 19th and 26th September or whether we will need to postpone the tournament for a later date.

The challenge we have faced is the usual challenge of raising money for the tournament as is the case with the Algerian team. Unfortunately we are still trying to get in contact with the Moroccan team to get confirmations and without that we have to make a decision by tomorrow afternoon.

Keep your eyes on the website (www.africa-nations-cup.co.za) for an update...

hi barry and welcome here!!
    so the tournament isn't sure....pity. What's happens with Morocco? economic problems?

IHF Prospect
    I'm not sure. We are battling to get a response from them on whether they are coming or not but we have heard quite a ot through Karim from Algeria that they have their team all ready and waiting. If only they would confirm with us as we would hate for them to have flights booked and them arriving here with nothing to do.

As for Algeria they are battling to get money together for all their players despite some really good efforts on their part and commitment from some of their players. Either way this tournament IS going to happen whether it is in 2 weeks time or some time in the VERY NEAR future.

We are of course open to suggestions from anywhere around the world.

No Africa Cup....for now

Africa Cup will not be played in this month due to impossibility for Morocco and Algeria to arrange trip to SA.

Message written by Gary Bock (SA goalie and one of organizer) on Facebook:

Gary Bock 03 September at 11:20

Hi Everyone

It has been a long journey in getting everything together for the African Nation Cup, and we have had many challenges along the way, and it is now time to let everyone know what is happening and where we stand with regards the tournament. Regretfully Algeria and Morocco have been unable to get sufficient funding together to send their teams over to South Africa together which is largely due to most of their players living in Canada as well as most of their players being Muslim which added the complexity of the tournament overlapping with the Ramadan religious holiday. We have over the last few weeks been having talks with the Algerian and Moroccan team management and they have been pulling all stops to get the necessary funding, but have been to a degree unsuccessful in doing so. 9 of the Algerian players were willing to fund themselves, but that was not sufficient to host a successful tournament so the decision was made to postpone the tournament for a later date, which Morocco and Algeria are very comfortable with.

The proposed date for the tournament to take place is in March 2010 from 20th to 27th; however, the intention is to include more teams in the tournament so these dates may differ slightly depending on which teams participate. With time now on our hands in getting the tournament organized, we urge everyone not to be discouraged by the postponement, but to rather look at it in a positive light and seize the opportunity to approach one of the committee members with ideas and suggestions. One must remember that it is events such as the African Nations Cup of Ice Hockey that bring the hockey community together to build on an already challenging environment and the success of the sport lies with the participants of the sport and their ability to add a positive influence no matter how big or small.

The organisation of the tournament will still continue and once we receive dates from the other participating countries on when they will be able to travel from their home countries we will finalize the tournament dates. Items that influence these dates are as follows:

· Most players from the Northern African countries play in leagues (both professional and semi-professional) in North America and Europe whose seasons start in the next couple of weeks. They normally have a mid-season break which will give opportunity for them to come out to South Africa for the tournament. We have requested information on these dates from the teams so will be basing the schedules on their availability.
    · Teams participating in the tournament will be required to raise sufficient funding to get to South Africa; however, we as the organizing committee are trying to secure as much funding from sponsors as possible which will go towards getting the teams out here.

Disappointed it got postponed, but 6 months until march should give us enough time to get some funding together, we're continuing to work with the government for some backing, and the players very much want to see this tournament happen.

IHF Prospect
    I am one of the "organisers" of the tournament. At this stage it looks like the 4th International Break in season is schedule from 8th to the 14th February 2010 so we are looking at setting the dates for this tournament for 6th (Saturday) to 13th (Saturday) February to coincide with the break and to allow players competing in international leagues to play for their countries so that we have the strongest possible teams taking part.

Received today from SA player Gary Bock:

We have been in talks with the teams concerned and they are busy working on sponsorship.

New proposed dates are during the international break in February which will be from 6th to 14th February 2010.

We have 2 possible new additions to the tournament with Tunisa showing great interest and Namibia.

So what we are looking at is taking the tournament from a 3 team tournament to a 5 team tournament which will include :
    RSA
    Tunisia
    Morocco
    Algeria
    Namibia.

We are still looking for sponsorship

IHF Prospect
    We will keep you all updated on progress. We are in early talks with sponsors and broadcasters in South Africa.

Thanks Barry, Namibia should be really a great addition! Is there really a chance to see Namibia and Tunisia skating in SA?

IHF Prospect
    I think there is a good chance Tunisia will play as well a Namibia. Namibia have quite a few players that play in the south african league down in Cape Town and they have a very strong Inline Hockey league so it will be great to see them involved as well.

Is this still a possibility for Feb/March or has it been turfed?

Tunisia Hockey Facebook page reported Cup was cancelled...sad news...

according to the organisers its been postponed until october, after the holy month of ramadan, and has been moved to cape town.

IHF Prospect
    according to the organisers its been postponed until october, after the holy month of ramadan, and has been moved to cape town.
    Has this been officially confirmed (October 2010)?

IHF Prospect
    2010 Team roster:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morocco...10_Team_Roster

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    So Morocco doesn't have an IIHF-eligible roster available?

Is that the same Omar Ennaffati who plays/ed for Hungary?

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    Is that the same Omar Ennaffati who plays/ed for Hungary?
    yes, he is half moroccan half hungarian, his brother alex was also on the arab cup team.

So Morocco doesn't have an IIHF-eligible roster available?
    they do have moroccan trained players, not sure if enough to make a full team though.

Has this been officially confirmed (October 2010)?
    i doubt it, according to the moroccans an alternative is being discussed from the world hockey summit, wont say which countries are involved till its confirmed though.

IHF Prospect
    i doubt it, according to the moroccans an alternative is being discussed from the world hockey summit, wont say which countries are involved till its confirmed though.
    I am assistant captain to Saad Tawfik, I will find out and post here. We are meeting soon. Too bad about Cape Town...where is Algeria's next tournament?

I am assistant captain to Saad Tawfik, I will find out and post here. We are meeting soon. Too bad about Cape Town...where is Algeria's next tournament?
    i think our next tournament will be the same as morocco's which Saad proposed to us, a lot depends on budget and funding though.

IHF Prospect
    i think our next tournament will be the same as morocco's which Saad proposed to us, a lot depends on budget and funding though.
    I'm not aware of where and when that would be...can you tell me?

I'm not aware of where and when that would be...can you tell me?
    Ireland from what i've heard, still early stages though.

IHF Prospect
    Ireland from what i've heard, still early stages though.
    Yes, I've heard that too...lets keep our fingers crossed!

Thread Information