Thread: Scandal with Krzysztof Oliwa after WC in Torun

IHF Member

Poland Scandal with Krzysztof Oliwa after WC in Torun

As report Polish media after World Championships DI in Torun there were incidents between former Polish NHL player Krzysztof Oliwa and present members of national team.

According to informations during the post-tournament banquet Krystian Dziubiński had fight with one of the hotel guests and was removed from banquet by security guard. Then came Oliwa and hit Dziubiński because in his opinion Dziubiński's behaviour was "disgrace for Polish national team member". Oliwa said "I spanked him".

Then it was Marcin Kolusz who was beaten by Oliwa. According to Oliwa Kolusz started to fuss in hotel and had chip on Polish coach Peter Ekroth shoulder. So Oliwa hit him and Kolusz has broken nose now. Kolusz said he was only talking to his friends and suddenly Oliwa came, sprinkled him with whiskey and hit out of nowhere. Oliwa said he hit Kolusz because Kolusz "showed no respect to national team coach". Then Patryk Noworyta acted in defence and was left a little wasted.

There are also rumours that when other team members came to clear situation drunken Oliwa treated them with bottle but that isn't confirmed. Oliwa is now advisor for Polish Ice Hockey Association and in Torun he was a TV pundit.Two years ago he was manager of NT but was removed because some players complained for his agressive behaviour. Polish Association took incidents in secret until Sunday evening but they had to react because it lived on its own on forums and portals with unofficial informations. But federation statement is quite funny-they announce inquiry but they stated that they have informations from "unofficial" sources. I don't believe officials weren't there.

Generally it's another affair with Polish national team after WC this season. In December it was alcohol when three players were banned for drinking on U-20 WC DI. Paweł Dronia ended with awfully harsh 6 months suspension.

What? What kind of person does that?! What a horrible person Oliwa is. Even if you have an issue with a player, you handle it much, much differently. You don't go around punching and hitting anyone who you feel has wronged you or the hockey federation.

I know he was a tough guy in the NHL, but you don't hear about players like Laraque, Shelley and Parros hitting anyone they have issue with.

Its very embarassing.
    Go Kings! Go Jamaica! Go Hockey! :D

IHF Member

Slovakian media

In slovakian media it sounds like Oliwa was the good guy.

I agree with grinder that Oliwa should handle it differently.

IHF Member
    For now some reports say Oliwa saved Dziubiński who started affair in night club and to calm him down he had to hit him. Oliwa gave interview in which he said he calm Dziubiński down and he doesn't know what Dziubiński did for the rest of the night. Some say Dziubiński has broken finger but he plays in Polish junior championships now. Oliwa said (but it was in tabloid so be careful) that drunken Kolusz wanted to come on with Oliwa's girlfriend and when Oliwa said some words he became agressive so he started fight. Kris said also that Kolusz called him after all and apologised but we don't know Kolusz's version because he cancelled his press conference. Officials from Polish federation say these versions are completely different.

All in all Oliwa isn't saint guy so it's possible he became agressive early and I'm still pretty curious why he behave like NT is his own team since he has nothing to do with them. There are also reports that he had fight during tournament after his birthday party with someone in club but dunno. Polish federation appoint special commitee to clarify this situation. Some people say it's biggest scandal in Polish hockey history and I think it's still more to come with this situation.

IHF Member
    So today Polish association announced penalties. For Marcin Kolusz and Krystian Dziubiński I think there are major penalties ;) Both were suspended for one year. In addition Dziubiński is fined by 8 000 PLN (about 1 750 euro) and Kolusz by 6 000 PLN what means over 1 300 euro.

Polish association started inquiry about Polish staff role in this affair and proposed to create rules of behaviour of National Team member. Disciplinary Committee also applied for dropping all players and staff salary for championship.

Krzysztof Oliwa is released from President's advisor role.

Very good think for polish hockey are those penalties, I hope it won't be only on a papper, but in real. Players playing for national team can't behave like those two players. I hope it was last incident around Polish National Team.

Thread Information