Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia 2009 - Abu Dhabi, UAE

The schedule for the rest of the tournament:

Wednesday 18-08-2009
    - Day off -

Thursday 19-03-2009
    Game#13 11:30 – 1:30 Mongolia vs. Macau (Placement Game)
    Game#14 2:00 – 4:00 Singapore vs. India (Placement Game)
    Game#15 4:30 – 6:30 Thailand vs. Hong Kong (SEMI FINAL)
    Game#16 7:30 – 9:30 UAE vs. Malaysia (SEMI FINAL)

Friday 20-03-2009
    Game#17 11:30 – 1:30 LOSER FROM GAME 13– LOSER FROM GAME 14 (place 8 & 7)
    Game#18 2:00 – 4:00 WINNER FROM GAME 13 – WINNER FROM GAME 14 (place 6 & 5)
    Game#19 4:30 – 6:30 LOSER FROM GAME 15 – LOSER FROM GAME 16 (place 4 & 3 )
    Game#20 7:30 – 9:30 WINNER FROM GAME 15 – WINNER FROM GAME 16 ( FINAL, place 1 & 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Thailand beat Mongolia 5-3, according to the official website, and Singapore beat Macau 6-1.
    Yes, and UAE beat Hong Kong 5-1. UAE advances as 1st in Group B undefeated. Hong Kong edges Singapore in goal differential and advances as 2nd in Group B.

If i remember correctly, Malaysia beat India 10-1. Congratulations for India's first goal!!

Quote Originally Posted by dilaks View Post
    Hey guys

thank you for your support to my team from India. We are new but are here to stay. we scored our first goal against Malaysia today. Losing is OK this is the first time we are playing on a proper surface.
    Congrats to your team!!! Your team is solid and some of your players are pretty good. I look forward to seeing your team every year!

Hey guys

thank you for your support to my team from India. We are new but are here to stay. we scored our first goal against Malaysia today. Losing is OK this is the first time we are playing on a proper surface.
    Happy to have you with us on the forums!
    And congratulations to the Indian team for that first goal, every little step is a step in the right direction.

IHF Member

Hong Kong information

Hallo Scotty,

News from Macau?

Which playce do you think Chinese Taipei would be ended when they has played?

Greetings,
    Rowan

Good luck

The Macau Mongolia game will be played in 10 hours.

Based on the team from last year's CCOA tournament I would say Chinese Taipei would definitely be one of the contenders along with Malaysia, Thailand, and UAE.

IIHF Result and standings after third day

Group A

Malaysia - India 10:1
    Thailand - Mongolia 5:3

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    GF:GA
    P
    1.Thailand
    27:5
    2.Malaysia
    16:11
    3.Mongolia
    15:9
    4.India
    1:34

Group B

Hong Kong - UAE 1:5
    Singapore - Macau 6:1

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    GF:GA
    P
    1.United Arab Emirates
    16:3
    2.Hong Kong
    13:6
    2.Singapore
    9:6
    4.Macau
    1:24

IHF Prospect
    Thanks Steigs

It was a struggle for us just to get there. No money and no practice on a proper surface. The team got all of two weeks to practice on a natural uneven surface with no boards. The first match against Thailand saw our players totally confused and out of place. They seemed to have no idea on how to handle themselves. however we had a strong session with them in the evening and the second match against Mongolia saw them coming out stronger and we actually made three scoring attempts in the 1st 4 minutes.

I think in every game they are improving.

what is moving is that all the teams are rooting for us. After every match we get many players coming over and boosting our morale.

The UAE federation helped us to no end to ensure that we played. they gave us free equipment and help at every possible opportunity. I hope they read this feed and accept our gratitude.

I'm back in India now but am closely following the team's progress.

IHF Prospect
    Hey Scotty

Cant get thru to the India team. do you have any idea of the ruesults of our game with Singapore ???

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Israel, being a Middle Eastern, Asian team, should play this tournament. They'd win it comfortably, unless China entered, and then it would be a dogfight between China and Israel (or if Japan or Kazakhstan entered, in which case those two teams would crush everybody).

Of course, the UAE wouldn't be brave or forward thinking enough to invite Israel. I wonder if Israel had asked to be included, and was refused, whether the IIHF would have the spine to revoke the tournament's IIHF status unless they were permitted to play.
    i wish my country a very best of Luck for the tournament .. they may return home woth flying colours of tri colour .. proud to be an Indian . Show your ice in oyur blood .. ki ki so so largyalo

IHF Prospect
    The recognition of ice hockey in India hascame very late but still the time is ours , we can explore the world beneath us and show the world thta we are not behind any thing. We are on the top of The world and we will live up to this.
    and as a enthusiastic ice hockey fan in Ladakh , i would like to hear any news or updates from anyone about tournaments and Indian team

IIHF 19 March 2009

]For 5th place

India - Singapore 0:5

Mongolia - Macau 4:1

Semifinals

Thailand - Hong Kong 6:4

UAE - Malaysia 3:1

IHF Prospect
    I'd also like to add my congratulations to India for over coming so many obstacles and making it to this tournament. The 4-0 score against Macau is evidence that your team isn't far off the pace at all.

Congratulations to the IIHF for having the foresight to introduce and maintain this competition. The standard of hockey in most of these countries is very close as evidenced by the scores this year and last and improving each year, no doubt now influenced in part by this tournament. Provided support for this competition and the current format is maintained we will see teriffic development in these countries in the next 5-10 years.

Scotty, sorry for you that my faith in Thailand prevailed and that they took you guys out in the semis. 6-4, must have been a great game. Heres to Thailand going all the way and taking down the favourites!

I am very sorry that Chinese Taipei couldn't organize a team, they certainly would have been in the mix too (especially if we had won the bid to host!). Oh well, hopefully next year they will organize the selection process better.

IHF Prospect
    Hey Aldair

Any idea about the India Vs Macau match score. trying to get in touch with our team in Abu Dhabi but cant get thru.

akshay

IHF Member
    Today's results before the final game:

7-8th place: Macao - India 8 - 0
    5-6th place: Mongolia - Singapore 5 - 1
    Bronze game: Malaysia - Hong Kong 4 - 3

Today's win against India was Macao's first ever win in international hockey.

IHF Prospect
    THAILAND FIGHTO !!!
    ^^ !!!

IHF Member

UAE CHampion!

THAILAND UAE 3 vs. 5

Gold UAE
    Silver: Thailand
    Bronce: Malaysia

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    THAILAND UAE 3 vs. 5

Gold UAE
    Silver: Thailand
    Bronce: Malaysia
    it cool ^^ Silver but it ok

ps. i want to watch clip of this match anyboby can tell me where to find it

IHF Prospect

Hong Kong

If I recall, the 2008 tournament prohibited bodychecking - is that correct? Did this year's tournament permit bodychecking?

Hey guys

Quote Originally Posted by stanzin View Post
    i wish my country a very best of Luck for the tournament .. they may return home woth flying colours of tri colour .. proud to be an Indian . Show your ice in oyur blood .. ki ki so so largyalo
    Kaise-hai Guys!

Welcome to the forums. There are many hockey fans here in Canada that are descended from India, and they would be happy to see India make more effort with this sport.

I had a thought about trying to increase the profile of ice hockey in India, that I would like your opinion on, please read this post:
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...286#post137286

Cheers.
    Last edited by Jazz; 21-03-2009 at 03:15.

Congratulations UAE on the championship and Abu Dhabi on hosting what looked like a great tournament and something that furthers the development of the sport around Asia!

There were some blowouts, but none of the scores were of the ridiculous 20+ goal shutouts, so that's encouraging as well (and Macau's first international victory and India's first international goal, lots to celebrate here!)
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Thank you guys for posting up the score. My time over the past few days was very limited and I could not post anything.

I'll write up about the tournament a bit later, and post my photos for all to view.

Congratulations to UAE. They have a great team, and everyone in Abu Dhabi has been very friendly and warm.

ScottY, were you able to obtain copies of the gamesheets or have any stats? I also read that there were MVPs for each team for each game. Did you receive any awards?
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

IHF Member

Congratulations UAE

Sound like an excellent tournament. I wonder how the UAE team would fare if they played in the WC. Looking at their win over Mongolia and their 2-9 defeat against PRK in the 2007 AWG they would probably be quite competitive against Greece , Turkey and Luxembourg but not strong enough to challenge for promotion. Surely the IIHF would love to have them included. Given their facilities and financial backing they would be excellent hosts.

Best wishes

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Sound like an excellent tournament. I wonder how the UAE team would fare if they played in the WC. Looking at their win over Mongolia and their 2-9 defeat against PRK in the 2007 AWG they would probably be quite competitive against Greece , Turkey and Luxembourg but not strong enough to challenge for promotion. Surely the IIHF would love to have them included. Given their facilities and financial backing they would be excellent hosts.

Best wishes

Geoff
    I would love to see UAE. Like you said, given their results against Mongolia and North Korea, or just the 2007 AWG in general, they would not be out of place at all in the D3 pool. I think they could challenge for promotion, considering North Korea is usually a D2 mainstay (only bumped down because they didnt participate in 2007). Also, as you said Geoff, UAE is pretty good financially, so money I dont think would pose a problem. I think the tournament in general has showed the growth and development of hockey in Asia, especially in these financially challenged times. It must give some of these countries like Thailand and Singapore, even Hong Kong, that they could be competitive in D3 (perhaps a D3A and D3B, like the D1 structure with Europe in one pool and Asia in another). I would love to see them try to make it to WC. Hopefully, more countries can make this, like Taipei, Philippines. The South Asian Games hopefully will also aid the development and we can see how the really developing and young hockey nations stand.
    Also, it seemed a lot of teams came shorthanded or just had low roster numbers, like Mongolia seemed to only have like 15-17 players I believe. Otherwise, from what i can tell and from what I read, the tournament seemed great, the hosts seemed great, and the hockey was excellent. Good job UAE
    Can't wait until next year.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

IIHF UAE - the winner of IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia 2009

Final placeFlagCountry
    1 UAE
    2 Thailand
    3 Malaysia
    4 Hong Kong
    5 Mongolia
    6 Singapore
    7 Makao
    8 India

congrats to UAE, i kno those guys put in alot of hard work, in particular Mohamed Aref.

Last edited by usausa; 30-03-2009 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by usausa View Post
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...-asia/955.html

And how do make the links like THIS so i dont have to post the entire link
    (url=http://forums.internationalhockey.net)International Hockey Forums(/url)

Replace ( with [
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Thanks!

IHF Member

Question to Scotty (or, all other...)

Scotty,

I got all the official gamesheets, but unfortunatelly, they're some mistakes on it. Let's try to find out the correct information. Now, I allow me to ask you, if you can help.

Game Malaysia vs Mongolia 4:2 (15.03.2009)

on the official gamesheet is written , that the 2nd goal from Mongolia was shooted by No. 16. But a number 16 is not on the Teamroster.

the second PIM for Mongolia (at 16.52') was for No. 27. But a number 27 is not on the Teamroster.

Game India vs Mongolia 0:10 (16.03.2009)

on the official gamesheet is written , that the 5th goal from Mongolia was shooted by No. 16. But a number 16 is not on the Teamroster.

on the official gamesheet is written , that the assists for the 10th goal from Mongolia was given by No. 29. But a number 29 is not on the Teamroster.

the second PIM for Mongolia (at 15.50') was for No. 21. But a number 21 is not on the Teamroster.

Game Mongolia vs Singapore 5:1 (20.03.2009)

on the official gamesheet is written , that the first assists for the 4th goal from Mongolia was given by No. 16. But a number 16 is not on the Teamroster.

maybe you know more about this.....

Game Macao vs Hong-Kong 0:11 (16.03.2009)

on the official gamesheet is written , that the 9th goal from Hong-Kong was shooted by No. 17. But a number 17 is not on the Teamroster.

on the official gamesheet is written , that the first assists for the 10th goal from Hong-Kong was given by No. 81. But a number 81 is not on the Teamroster.

Game Thailand vs Hong-Kong 6:4 (19.03.2009)

the last PIM for Hong-Kong (at 08.44') was for No. 6. But a number 6 is not on the Teamroster.

Since they're no GK stats on the gamesheet, nor, which GK played in which game, maybe you can tell me in which games you played for Hong-Kong. Did you played in all games? Do you know maybe more about the othe GK's in the other games? Maybe, there is an "official-inofficial" statistic available?

Don't be shocked, that I'm asking such deep. But if I wanna have a complete and correct statistic, I have to search for every piece....

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member

Blog from Indians Head Coach Adam Sherlip

great, that I found this.....

http://hockeyvolunteer.blogspot.com/...challenge.html

It's a hard job to be Head Coach of the Indian National Team...
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member

Indian GK - answer from Adam Sherlip

for all, who are interested. Here are the stats for the Indian GK:

Game 1: Wangtak 1 & 2 period, Gurmat 3 period
    Game 2: Gurmat 1& 2 period, Wangtak 3 period
    Game 3: Wangtak whole game
    Game 4: Gurmat whole game
    Game 5: Wangtak whole game

Phunchok Wangtak played 180 minutes / received 28 goals / GAA 9.33
    Naik Sonam Gurmat played 120 minutes / received 19 goals / GAA 9.50

Now I'm looking for the other goalies.....

Maybe it was in one of the messages, but if not, the games where all played 3x20 minutes by running time. No stop. PIM's where 3 minutes, because it was running time.... but I've calculated for my statistics "only" 2 minutes....

I try to contact Eddy Guay (Singapore) trough the Webpage http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php.

But I've to wait... my account is still not approved
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Prospect

Canada Help for contacting UAE Ice Hockey Association

I would like to contact the UAE Ice Hockey Association. Could anyone give me an email address or website. Thank you.

IHF Member

United Arab Emirates

Quote Originally Posted by tenaj View Post
    I would like to contact the UAE Ice Hockey Association. Could anyone give me an email address or website. Thank you.
    unfortunatelly, on the official page from the Association, there is no e-mail, but I found one on the IIHF page:

http://www.uaeihf.ae/main.php
    http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/countr...-emirates.html

uaeiha@gmail.com

Tell me, if you have success...... I need also some infos from the UAEIHA.....
    Cheers, Franco

Franco, have you figured out/solved the gamesheet mysteries?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usausa View Post
    Franco, have you figured out/solved the gamesheet mysteries?
    no, still waiting for help/answer......
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post

Best wishes

Geoff
    You know what, I'm not so sure about the comparative level of this tounament respective to DivIII.
    I know everyone's comparing the various teams' results against Mongolia as a barometer, but looking back at the rosters today, I'm seeing some serious logic errors in using this tournament to compare teams.

I've seen the Mongolian national team with a near-full-strength roster, and the team that competed here I am thinking was basically a selection camp squad for what would have been a DivIII team in April.
    My reasoning: look at the names missing from this squad. The country's top goaltender, three top defensemen, and the entire first and second lines of the national team were NOT COMPETING here.

Munkhbold, the starting goaltender from 2007 and 2008, was not between the pipes.
    On defense, the top pairing of Tamir and Boldbayar, also missing Munkhuu and Munkherdene, and Enkhbat. Those are the 5 players who've played top4 minutes in the last 2 years on defense.
    Missing on forward: first line of Bayarsaikhan, Purevdavaa and Altangerel. Second line of Neguun, Batzaya.
    Mishigsuren was the only forward that could arguably be on the top 2 lines in a full strength roster. In 2 years at Division III, he managed 2 points in 10 games. At the Challenge Cup he got 10 goals and 2 assists.

Anyone else think that with those missing players Mongolia wouldn't have had a damned good shot at winning this?

Unfortunately, this was a Mongolian roster that I would call half-strength at best. To use that to compare these other teams to Division III is probably not a very good indication of how these other nations would fare. Unfortunately, I think it would be a fairly ugly sight for most of them. UAE seemed to have a weaker roster than their AWG one as well, and maybe going at full strength they could play DivIII, and we haven't seen Chinese Taipei at this competition. But that's about it.

IHF Member

Malaysia 2010 event

Couldn't find the thread for this.

Anyone know the draw and have the fixtures ? Is there going to be a website ?

Some team news from Malaysia here ;

http://www.malaysiaicehockey.com/tea...ofasiateamlist

Regards,

Geoff

IHF Member

India excel

India are not participated at the Asian IIHF Challenge Cup 2010 in Taipei.

They could not raise enough money to traveller to Taipei.
    it is pitty!

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    Schedule and team rosters for the 2010 edition of the IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia are now available at

http://www.hockey-hotline.com/news_10/CCOA/index.htm

The games are 3x20min running time. In case of one goal difference, the last two minutes will be played stop-time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information