Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia 2009 - Abu Dhabi, UAE

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Scott -

The IIHF should let Hong Kong and the others play anyway.

There seems to be an unwritten rule in the IIHF, which is that any of the other rules can be, should be, and are ignored if it means that to enforce any or all of them would kill IIHF participation in a developing or non-traditional hockey country.

Right off the bat, Iceland and South Africa (and sometimes Croatia, depending on the season) do not have more than three teams in their IIHF sanctioned leagues. It's doubtful as to whether Armenia even runs a league. North Korea's league info. can't be verified by IIHF sources, I'm guessing, and is probably accepted by the IIHF on the honor system. Israel's league, while it has enough teams, is only 7 games long plus playoffs, after having been 10 games long last season and 8 games long for several seasons before that. Mexico's national league also does not have enough games to satisfy IIHF requirements, and is often started and finished within two weeks, or even a single week during the year. Lithuania, in some years, doesn't even run an IIHF sanctioned league. Yet, all of those countries participate in IIHF competition. I'm sure there are other examples, but those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Marc, what you mean as South Africa league? North Korea has 7-8 teams in highest league, as reported to IIHF. Mexico national league not exists. Greece had never junior national team, but, has (or, better say had), one of biggest arena in Europe with about 15.000 seated spectators.
    I mean, it is no problem for all team competing in Challenge cup of Asia to take part in World Championship. I mean, the biggest problem is affraid from very big losts.
    In fact, I am very wondering in results of Indian team. My vote:
    1. Mongolia
    2. UAE
    3. Hongkong
    4. Thailand
    5. Malaysia
    6. Singapore
    7. India
    8. Macau

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottY View Post
    Wow. thanks for the info. I'll check with the association and see what they say. thanks again!
    ScottY, good luck in Abu Dhabi.
    Danger - Al Dhaheri and Al Shamshi.

Quote Originally Posted by 27133 View Post
    Greece had never junior national team...
    ...except in 1990 and 1991, prior to launching their senior team. Once the senior team started, I don't think they had junior national teams. Dimitris could clarify this.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Both South Africa and Mexico have IIHF sanctioned championships.

South Africa usually has three teams competing, and Mexico has well over the prerequisite four teams, but not enough games per team. The whole league is usually started and finished within one week's time during the year.

If the IIHF enforced all of its rules with respect to non-traditional hockey countries, it would lose many members. The Division III and even the Division II competitions would be severely weakened due to the lack of available completely rules-compliant teams.

I had a small chat with our vice chairperson of our Association yesterday night. He did confirmed that IIHF did rejected our request to participate in the IIHF world championships, and Hong Kong has to have a Junior team *or* a women's team entered along with the men's team. He also said the IIHF is not as strict about the rink requirement now, but they're not letting our senior team to enter unless the junior/women's team requisite is met.

I'm not sure about Greece's situation, but I'm guessing at least for the first time they entered they had junior teams?

I certainly wish to be able to participate even if it means big losses. The experience will be great for our players, and it will definitely give more exposure to hockey in our region.

IHF Member

India India in the Swiss Newspaper "BLICK"

Cheers, Franco

I love India's uniform. Also, there helmets look so cool, not plastic or whatever they are made of now, but almost like one big cushion. And they goalie loooks cool. Wish I could read the article though.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

Quote Originally Posted by usausa View Post
    I love India's uniform. Also, there helmets look so cool, not plastic or whatever they are made of now, but almost like one big cushion. And they goalie loooks cool. Wish I could read the article though.
    The guy with his helmet on in the middle has a normal Bauer helmet, looks like the HT1000 series.

As for that wish, you have two remaining. Now care world hockey, (here) comes India!
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member

India india icehockey team

Indian Ice Hockey teams leaves for Abu Dhabi

Excelsior Sports Correspondent

LEH, Mar 12: The Indian Ice Hockey squad left for Abu Dhabi (Dubai) to participate in the IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia.

Chief Executive Councilor, LAHDC, Leh, Chering Dorje flagged off the squad at Bakula Airport.

Ajeet Kumar Sahu, Deputy Commissioner, Leh, Vice-President of Ladakh Winter Sports Club, officials of District Youth Welfare and Sports Department besides a large number of people were also present on the occasion.

Speaking to the media, Dorje said that it was proud moment for Ladakh that ice hockey from the region are representing the nation at the international level.

Keeping in view the tremendous potential of Winter Games in Ladakh, several measures have been initiated for creation of all-weather Ice Hockey Stadium of international standard at Leh.

To promote games in Ladakh, a District Olympic Association was formed recently.

greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member

IHF Member
    anywhere we can get results and mabye pics?

IHF Member

Asia Cup for Under-18s, the Asia Cup for Clubs and the Asia Cup for women, this year

ABU DHABI — The scorching Middle Eastern summer is just about to kick in, in the desert, and it is time for some ice. Abu Dhabi is fast becoming the sporting hub of the Middle East and now, it will add another feather to its cap. The National capital will play host to the 2nd Asian Ice Hockey Championship—Challenge Cup of Asia 2009.

Abu Dhabi pipped Chinese Taipei by winning the bid to host the championship. This will be the first time an international ice hockey championship will be held in the Middle East as the previous championships were hosted by East Asian countries. Held under the patronage of Shaikh Hazza bin Zayed Al Nahyan, chairman of the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC), the championship will be held from March 15 to 20 at the Zayed Sports City Ice Rink.

“India, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Macau, Mongolia, Hong Kong and hosts UAE will fight for honours in the championship,” Jumma Mohammad Al Dhaheri said on Wednesday.

Defending champions defending Asian champions Chinese Taipei will not be competing as they would be hosting the World Under-18 championship. The teams have been divided into two groups with Group A consisting of Malaysia, Thailand, Mongolia and India. Group B has Hong Kong, UAE, Singapore and Macau.

The UAE, which started competing since 1998, have won a couple of tournaments and are considered to be one of the top countries in Asia in ice hockey. This will be the first time that the UAE will be competing in the Asian championship. The first edition of the championship was held in Hong Kong.

The UAE is also looking to host the Asia Cup for Under-18s, the Asia Cup for Clubs and the Asia Cup for women, this year. Decisions on these will be taken at the International Ice Hockey Federation annual meeting to be held in May. “The limitless support received by the UAE sports sector in general, and ice hockey, in particular, from the President, His Highness Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan and His Highness Shaikh 
Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai and General Shaikh Mohammad bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, will help lead UAE towards being an international force in ice hockey,” Dr. Ahmad Mubarak Al Mazrouie, chairman of the UAE Ice Hockey Federation, also the chairman of the higher organising committee of the 2nd Asian Ice Hockey Championship, said. He also said the fact that UAE won the bid to host the championship is a reassurance of the confidence in the UAE and its capabilities to host such important events.

“The attention and the close follow-up of Shaikh Hazza bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to sports activities in Abu Dhabi gives us a sense of pride and motivates us to move ahead and achieve the objectives and goals of sports activities of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi,” Mohammad Ibrahim Al Mahmood, secretary general of the Abu Dhabi Sports Council (ADSC), said.

Greetings,

ROwan

IHF Prospect
    I wouldn't bet much on Mongolia... Personally I can see winned between Thailand and UAE
    there are many CZ and SK players playing for UAE

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSK View Post
    I wouldn't bet much on Mongolia... Personally I can see winned between Thailand and UAE
    there are many CZ and SK players playing for UAE
    From what I heard, the Czech players who represented UAE at the Arab Cup don't actually hold UAE citizenship, and thus aren't eligible for an IIHF tournament.

I'll give Mongolia the advantage of having faced significantly stronger opposition the last two years when they played the World Championships.

India roster

you find the india roster on there website http://www.icehockeyindia.com/teams.html#main
    Plus club teams.

Israel, being a Middle Eastern, Asian team, should play this tournament. They'd win it comfortably, unless China entered, and then it would be a dogfight between China and Israel (or if Japan or Kazakhstan entered, in which case those two teams would crush everybody).

Of course, the UAE wouldn't be brave or forward thinking enough to invite Israel. I wonder if Israel had asked to be included, and was refused, whether the IIHF would have the spine to revoke the tournament's IIHF status unless they were permitted to play.

Israel, being a Middle Eastern, Asian team, should play this tournament. They'd win it comfortably, unless China entered, and then it would be a dogfight between China and Israel (or if Japan or Kazakhstan entered, in which case those two teams would crush everybody).

Of course, the UAE wouldn't be brave or forward thinking enough to invite Israel. I wonder if Israel had asked to be included, and was refused, whether the IIHF would have the spine to revoke the tournament's IIHF status unless they were permitted to play.
    As far as the IIHF is concerned, Israel is a European country, as evidenced by their national champions' inclusion in the European league rankings.

IHF Member
    The whole point of the IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia was to have a tournament for national teams from Asian countries who are roughly at the same level. As such, I think it works well without China, Japan, Kazakhstan, South or North Korea or Israel... It was never meant to be "Asian Championships". There is Asian Winter Games for that. Although not part of the World Championship structure, I kinda consider the Challenge Cup of Asia being something like Division 3b.

As far as I know, the initiative for the Challenge Cup of Asia came from the six South East Asian nations wishing to have something more official than the various weekend tournaments being played in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Dubai, Singapore, etc., each year. All participating nations (plus Chinese Taipei, Kuwait and even Philippines) are active in these. Mongolia less so, but they too organize a yearly tournament in Ulan Bataar. IIHF supported the idea for the good of development of the sport in Asia and lent the name for the first tournament in Hong Kong last year. There seems to be more interest in this year's edition and I sure hope that continues.

There's an article about this on iihf.com: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...india/955.html

According to the malaysian ice hockey federation website, Malaysia win 4-2 against Mongolia.

Singapore/Hongkong : 1/1

IHF Member

IHF Member
    There's a blog by Aris Samad of the Malaysian team from Abu Dhabi:

http://swashbuckler5.wordpress.com/2...-of-asia-2009/

The game format seems to be 3x20min running time, and if the score is within 1 goal difference, the last two minutes will be stop-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Hobbes View Post
    There's a blog by Aris Samad of the Malaysian team from Abu Dhabi:

http://swashbuckler5.wordpress.com/2...-of-asia-2009/

The game format seems to be 3x20min running time, and if the score is within 1 goal difference, the last two minutes will be stop-time.
    Better than the 2-period system of last year...

by the way, i haven't seen an official tournament site. i'd have hoped there would be one where you could find all the daily scores and/or scoresheets, team roster etc.. anybody have that info handy, perchance?
    Last edited by Steigs; 16-03-2009 at 06:57.

IHF Member
    Group A

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    GF:GA
    P
    1.Thailand
    14:0
    2.Malaysia
    4:2
    3.Mongolia
    2:4
    4.India
    0:14

Group B

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    P
    1.United Arab Emirates
    7:0
    2.Hong Kong
    1:1
    2.Singapore
    1:1
    4.Macau
    0:7
    Last edited by Aldair; 16-03-2009 at 15:59.

Thailand 14 - India 0
    Hong Kong 1 - Singapore 1
    Malaysia 4 - Mongolia 2
    UAE 7 - Macau 0

Today marked the start of a tournament for ice hockey national teams you don't really hear about. Teams from Mongolia, India, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and UAE are in Abu Dhabi to compete for the 2009 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia.

The tournament started off with Thailand against newcomer India. It was touching to see team India overcoming many obstacles to make it to this tournament. They did not look out of place despite losing 0-14 to Thailand. Most of their players do have solid ice hockey skills and a few of them did stand out. While they will almost certainly finish last in Group A, they might not necessarily end up 8th place in the tournament. Thailand has a strong squad, but it remains to be seen if they can play up to their top capabilities against the other teams in the group.

The second game of the day has Singapore against last year's bronze winner Hong Kong. Singapore came off with superb physical play and fast skating, which caused the Hong Kong teams a lot of problems. Singaporean goalie Eugene Chin was as solid as ever and they played a great defensive game. Hong Kong pressured Singapore for most of the game but their offense did not connect. The game ended up as a 1-1tie.

Mongolia came in as one of the unknown teams as the most of the participating teams has never seen them in action. Interestingly their players do not look as skilled as some of the teams in the tournament, but they managed to fend off most of Malaysia's (last year's Silver winner) attacks. Malaysia won the game 4-2, and they looked really good as the look to be one of the contenders of this tournament.

The final game of the day showcased the hosts UAE versus Macau. After a grand opening ceremony (with indoor pyrotechnics), team UAE played macau to a 7-0 win in front of a great crowd. There must have been at least 400 fans in attendence for this game and the atmosphere was just great. Unfortunately the game wasn't as interesting as UAE cruised to victory without much effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Better than the 2-period system of last year...

by the way, i haven't seen an official tournament site. i'd have hoped there would be one where you could find all the daily scores and/or scoresheets, team roster etc.. anybody have that info handy, perchance?
    Unfortunately there is no official websites for scores and stats. Perhaps someone could lead us to one of the local newspaper as yesterday's opening was featured on the front (sports) page in one of them.

Detailed stats are likely unavailable. I've taken a look at the official score sheets as only goals, assists, and penalties were recorded.

:P and i just got interviewed by a British reporter working for a local press...

And as I am typing, Malaysia and Thailand are playing. Very physical game... 1-1 in the 2nd period.

IHF Member
    Unfortunately there is no official websites for scores and stats. Perhaps someone could lead us to one of the local newspaper as yesterday's opening was featured on the front (sports) page in one of them.

Detailed stats are likely unavailable. I've taken a look at the official score sheets as only goals, assists, and penalties were recorded.

:P and i just got interviewed by a British reporter working for a local press...

And as I am typing, Malaysia and Thailand are playing. Very physical game... 1-1 in the 2nd period.
    ScottY,

would be great, if you could "collect" all the gamesheets..... as you know (), I'm always looking for that.... would be great, if I could complete the stats like the last years Cup....

Thanks in advance for any help...
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Thanks for the updates Scott , did you play against Singapore ?

How did Mongolia/India end up ?

Your updates are much appreciated.

Geoff

IHF Prospect

Singapore

Hi Scotty, I heard that 3 of our guys got stiches on their faces. Must have been a very rough game out there. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your games.

Sorry I made a boo boo, the last time I reported it was Thailand leading 2-0 instead of tying.

The top two teams in Group A dualed out today with Thailand beating Malaysia with a convincing score of 8-2. With the win, Thailand is the first team to secure a berth in the semi-finals in this tournament.

Malaysia came out strong against Thailand and both teams played quite physically. Malaysia had two players from abroad helping out, including #19 Jamil who led the team's silver medal performance in last year's Challenge Cup of Asia; the other is #8 Luke who plays in Sweden. #8 is indeed the strongest player in their squad but unfortunately the rough game put him out of action along with with another Thai player.

Malaysia seemed to lost their will and Thailand put in goals after goals. Malaysia did answered with two goals at the end of the game, but it was too little too late.

The third game of the day featured Hong Kong against Macau. Hong Kong needed a win and score as much as possible to keep their hopes to fight for a playoff berth. The Hong Kong players came up very lively and beat Macau 11-0.

As of this moment UAE is playing against Singapore. It will be interesting in how UAE can break Singapore's super goalie.

I have not watched this morning's Mongolia - India game, but I will try to find out the scores.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Thanks for the updates Scott , did you play against Singapore ?

How did Mongolia/India end up ?

Your updates are much appreciated.

Geoff
    Yes I did play against Singapore. Considering that they have no rink to train on, they were absolutely amazing.

I am watching the Singapore-UAE game now, what's even more amazing is they are leading 1-0. Big slap shot from one of their two big defensemen.

Again, this game is already very physical.

IHF Member

results day 2 so far.

ABU DHABI // The South China Sea derby came to the ice of the capital yesterday as Macau and Hong Kong faced off in the Challenge Cup of Asia at Zayed Sports City.

However, while the two Special Administrative Regions of China are just a short ferry ride apart, there remains a gulf between the two nations on the ice.

As Chi To Scott Yang, the Hong Kong netminder for their 1-1 draw against Singapore on Sunday, said before the game: “Macau is a team we are supposed to beat. They understand we always beat them. It’s more of a friendly reunion.”

Macau were pointless in the 2008 Challenge Cup of Asia and started this year’s tournament with a 7-0 defeat against the UAE. Macau have never vanquished Hong Kong on the ice and it was a situation that they never looked like rectifying.

Danny Chiu opened the scoring for the Hong Kongers with just 35 seconds on the clock and two minutes later Wai Yuen Chu doubled the lead. The period ended 3-0 and the game continued in a similar vein as Hong Kong put pressure on the overworked Macau netminder Telin Chu.

The Hong Kongers were effective in generating traffic in front of Chu and the next periods both yielded four goals for Hong Kong as their netminder King Chi King Ho remained largely a spectator.

“I expected the win but didn’t expect this score,” said Yang, after watching his team’s 11-0 victory from the bench.

“It was an improvement from the Singapore game and we needed to run up the score in case goal differential comes into play. We did what we had to do.”

Apart from Macau and the tournament debutants India, the other nations in Abu Dhabi still harbour championship hopes.

But more importantly, the Challenge Cup of Asia is seen as an opportunity for the long-term growth of the sport in unlikely locales, including the UAE.

While ice hockey and the UAE might seem unusual, even incongruous, bedfellows, the metaphorical playing field at the tournament is more even than it appears. A lack of full-size rinks and a lack of affordable ice time are common complaints among the competitor nations.

Perhaps nowhere is this more stark than with Mongolia, who opened the day’s action with a 10-0 victory over India.

“We don’t have an indoor ice rink,” said Enkhbayar Shinebayar, the head coach.

“We can play outside only between December and February. During that time we can play on the natural ice but in the middle of February the ice is gone and we then do off-ice training,” he added.

Shinebayar was impressed with his opponents but felt his team should have done better against an Indian side, who occasionally displayed some tactical naivety.

“I am happy with the game today, but I think we could have scored more. India showed spirit. They are like where we were a few years ago.”

In another one-sided encounter yesterday, Thailand defeated Malaysia 8-2.

In a feisty game, the scoreboard was untroubled until the Thais took the lead with eight minutes left in the first period.

Led by their captain and man-of-the-match Tewin Chartsuwan, the Thais then put away seven more goals, and with two minutes left looked on course for a shut-out before the battling Malaysians scored two consolation strikes.

To add to Malaysia’s woes, their influential forward Loke Ban Kin – the tournament’s best player in 2008 – left the ice injured.

Greetings,
    ROwan

Official logo of the tournament

Nice logo!
    Attached Images Attached Images

United Arab Emirates Last result of the second day

Singapore - UAE 2:4

IIHF Result and standings after second day

Group A

India - Mongolia 0:10
    Malaisia - Thailand 2:8

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    P
    1.Thailand
    22:2
    2.Mongolia
    12:4
    3.Malaysia
    6:10
    4.India
    0:24

Group B

Singapore - UAE 2:4
    Hong Kong - Macau 11:0

STANDINGS

GP
    W
    L
    T
    P
    1.United Arab Emirates
    11:2
    2.Hong Kong
    12:1
    2.Singapore
    3:5
    4.Macau
    0:18

Some photos

UAE team

More photos:

And a little more

Aldair, awesome pics!!!!
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

An article from UAE "the National"

An event of international repute will always leave its mark in a country that is not big on that particular sport.
    Rugby and cricket, for instance, are growing as sporting disciplines across the UAE, albeit gradually. And this is exactly why Mohammed Arif expects ice hockey to capture the imagination of the Emirati public.
    Arif, a key player in the UAE national team, is of the firm belief that the second Challenge Cup of Asia will have an impact in the long term.
    “We won the bid ahead of Chinese Taipei to stage this championship, which was a massive step forward in creating an awareness of such an important competition among the Emirati youth,” he said yesterday.
    “We already have a huge following even though most of the youngsters play for recreation. We need to make them play at more competitive levels so we have a larger squad to select for the national team.
    “The facilities are top class and so is the infrastructure in other Gulf states. We don’t have teams from the region, but after this championship we would have got their interest,” he added.
    The UAE, in the meantime, kicked off their campaign with an impressive 7-0 win over Macau, but Arif warned the tougher games were ahead.
    “A win is a win against any team,” said the UAE defender. “I was quite surprised Hong Kong were held to a 1-1 draw by Singapore. And it only goes to show how much Singapore have improved.
    “Macau were the least fancied team in our group and I thought they tried to keep the scoreline to the minimum. It was a confidence booster to get the campaign off to a winning start.”
    Ali Mubarak al Mazrouie scored in the opening minute and went on to complete a superb hat-trick for the UAE.
    Omar al Shamsi found the net twice for a 5-0 lead at the second break before Juma al Dhaheri and Suhail al Muhairi completed the rout with a goal each.
    Hong Kong scored a late equaliser for a 1-1 result with Singapore in the same group, while Malaysia overcame Mongolia 4-0 in Group A.

I have just found out there is an official website.

www.uaeihf.ae

I have always thought its uaeihf.org but instead its .ae.

Score and photos are there. looks like they update it daily.

IHF Prospect
    what's the score against UAE scottie?

I have just found out there is an official website.

www.uaeihf.ae

I have always thought its uaeihf.org but instead its .ae.

Score and photos are there. looks like they update it daily.
    good site, pity IIHF doesn't promote it on its webpage...

No boxscores, just the results...

Quote Originally Posted by GMoney View Post
    what's the score against UAE scottie?
    We play UAE 7:30pm local time. I am pressured as hell now :) I'll post the results later.

Earlier today Thailand beat Mongolia 5-2 (i think). So Thailand finished their group play in 1st place, Malaysia in 2nd place. Tonight's game UAE vs Hong Kong will decide the final standings in Group B.

That is a truly nice logo.

IHF Prospect
    Last game just finished, and the standings are:

Pool A
    1, Thailand
    2, Malaysia
    3, Mongolia
    4, India

Pool B
    1, UAE
    2, Hong Kong
    3, Singapore
    4, Macau

IHF Prospect

India UAE Asia Cup

Hey guys

thank you for your support to my team from India. We are new but are here to stay. we scored our first goal against Malaysia today. Losing is OK this is the first time we are playing on a proper surface.

Thailand beat Mongolia 5-3, according to the official website, and Singapore beat Macau 6-1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information