Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alexei Cherepanov passed away at 19

Russia Alexei Cherepanov passed away at 19

Tonight NYR's prospect Cherepanov was by accident hit by teammate Jaromir Jagr's elbow. Early reports claim that Cherepanov passed away at the hospital.

God i hope this isn't true!

http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/200...s-sent-to.html

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/5945963.html
    Last edited by Tobias; 14-10-2008 at 01:27.

its looking like it is true...RIP

TSN also reports that he has died. Wow this happens way too often. RIP Cherepanov.....

Can't imagine how Jagr feels. Apparently they were very close, Jagr was Cherepanovs idol.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252547&l...=secStory_main

How his agents has confirmed his death...so sad.

I'm speechless. He was my favourite player on the U-20 National team. He had all the tools to be the next Bure. R.I.P Alexei. You will never be forgotten. My condolences to his family. Today hockey died.
    Last edited by Sergei Makarov; 14-10-2008 at 16:09.

My condolences to Alexei's family and loved ones. Cherepanov was a name that kept popping up in Team Russia's U18 and U20 game box scores in the last few years and I expected a great career for him. The hockey world lost a heckuva player today. Rest in peace, Alexei.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and everybody else who was close to him. Its always a sad tragedy to see somebody in the hockey fraternity pass on. Rest in peace, Alexei.

From the first link Tobias posted:

"Afterwards Jagr was shouting 'Wake up Alexei' and was in tears."
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Tonight NYR's prospect Cherepanov was by accident hit by teammate Jaromir Jagr's elbow. Early reports claim that Cherepanov passed away at the hospital.

God i hope this isn't true!

http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/200...s-sent-to.html

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/5945963.html

but how he could die from hit by elbow??

Anyway, hockey world lost very talented young player. R. I. P.
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

Пусть земля ему будет пухом...
    Sorry4my_bad_english =)

reminds me of when Zholtok died....but he had a history of heart problems....this is so random

Quote Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
    reminds me of when Zholtok died....but he had a history of heart problems....this is so random
    And Jiri Fischer..

My deepest sympathies to Alexei's family, friends and teammates.
    His loss will be felt by hockey fans worldwide.

I was at the Islanders-Sabres game today with my wife when my brother called me with the news.

It's my birthday today, and I was practically in tears when I heard the news.

My heart breaks for him, his family, and his loved ones. My prayers go out to all of them; may G-d bless them all, including Alexei himself.

What a terrible, terrible tragedy.

He would have been a true superstar.

He had more total points in his rookie season in the Russian Superleague two years ago than Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin & Ilya Kovalchuk had in their rookie seasons, and his rookie goal total that season was (and still is) a Russian league record, surpassing the previous rookie record holder Pavel Bure.

I'm just gutted hearing this.

And Jiri Fischer..
    Fischer didn't drop dead though...

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    Condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and everybody else who was close to him. Its always a sad tragedy to see somebody in the hockey fraternity pass on. Rest in peace, Alexei.

From the first link Tobias posted:

"Afterwards Jagr was shouting 'Wake up Alexei' and was in tears."
    I was thinking of what to say and you hit it right on. I second what you said.

Also if someone gets hit at the right moment of the beat of the heart, the heart can stop suddenly like that. Its the same you may here when someone gets hit in the chest with a baseball for instance. But you also have to wonder was there a problem that had never been diagnosed.

Very, very sad and i feel sorry about him. I condolense to his family and his friends. I expekted him to be our next star, but life is such, you never know what happends. I agree with all of you his lost will be huge, but he will allways lives in our hearts. Rest in peace. Алексей, мы никогда не забудем тебя!

I can't believe it.
    He was only 19 years old...
    Salavat - green rockets!

This is just unbelivable, i still can't get it through my mind. I can't even imagine how devastated his family and friends are, and how awfull Jagr must feel. Rest in peace.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

Rip
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

What a scary message from Russia. Condolences to his family & friends.

Why do young sportsmen die so often during/after sport events?
    I remember soccer players dieing on the soccer field, Sergeis Zholtoks ...

Tragedy.
    Dresdner Eislöwen - Buffalo Sabres - HC Davos - Dynamo Moscow - EC VSV

RIP Aleksei

Condolences to his family, friends and teammates.

Condolences to his family and friends too... I just can't believe when people die this young, especially healthy sportsmen, it makes me feel so bad :| i turned my computer on and first news was that a young hockey player has passed away, I was in tears too.

RIP Alexey

IHF Prospect
    My condolences to his family and friends!

RIP

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
    Aleksei Cherepanov forever in our hearts
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

RIP Alexei
    But there was no collision with Jagr

Quote Originally Posted by Sergei71 View Post
    RIP Alexei
    But there was no collision with Jagr
    According to this blog there was http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/200...s-sent-to.html

However it was a soft collision just when they were changing lines. Nothing that should have caused the heart attack. But i can't change the topic now.

So if a mod could change it, please.

According to this blog there was http://alexovetjkin.blogspot.com/200...s-sent-to.html

However it was a soft collision just when they were changing lines. Nothing that should have caused the heart attack. But i can't change the topic now.

So if a mod could change it, please.
    Depending on the details of the collision (and where he was hit, the temple for example), I'm thinking it might have been enough to cause a rupture of a blood vessel, which would of course bring the rest on... this is just speculation on my part though, and we'll have to wait for a proper report.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    No, there was no collision. Jagr himself confirmed that. Aleksei has collapsed on the bench
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    RIP Alexei.

You left us way too soon.

Your impact was global, and at the same time hits home, for you were not much older than the "kids" I coach.

Such a bright, young face of the sport, it is hard to comprehend.

Dont know how true this is, but TSN was reporting that the game ambulance had left the arena after the second period thinking the game would end without its needs. It was 15 minutes before it returned. If it is true there could be a lawsuit. truly sad news ether way.

Quote Originally Posted by buffmatt78 View Post
    Dont know how true this is, but TSN was reporting that the game ambulance had left the arena after the second period thinking the game would end without its needs. It was 15 minutes before it returned. If it is true there could be a lawsuit. truly sad news ether way.
    That's true. Vityaz structure and ambulance are under public prosecutor investigation.

Sad news that no ambulance in the world could save him. As founded, Cherepanov had myokardiopathie - a disease which some youngsters get after influenza. He had a rare chance even not being a sportsman.

Now the question to Avangard doctors - why they couldn't find Cherepanov's myokardiopathie.
    Salavat - green rockets!

In main croatian sport newspapers tomorrow will be little less than half page aobut Cherepanov tragedy
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post
    That's true. Vityaz structure and ambulance are under public prosecutor investigation.

Sad news that no ambulance in the world could save him. As founded, Cherepanov had myokardiopathie - a disease which some youngsters get after influenza. He had a rare chance even not being a sportsman.

Now the question to Avangard doctors - why they couldn't find Cherepanov's myokardiopathie.
    If there was no change in rhythm of his heart and his EKG and blood work was normal, usually an echo is not done. For all we know, all of his tests were normal and he felt fine. Its more common than we think for sudden heart problems to arise without warning, even to normal nonathletes.

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post

what? never heard that one. officially they say he had chronic ischemia.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    No, there was no collision. Jagr himself confirmed that. Aleksei has collapsed on the bench
    yeah, official word from tsn says the same
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=252611&l...=secStory_main
    no collision....anyone seen the footage to confirm?

So sorry to hear about this.

IHF Prospect
    Every time I hear about a young athlete dying because of a heart condition I wonder if they use those so-called "energy drinks" like Red Bull. The exorbitant amounts of caffeine are potentially very hard on your heart. I know among some athletes, they've become part of the daily game-day ritual. I'll be curious to know if anyone asks the question in this case.

what? never heard that one.
    Sorry, it's German and Russian term.
    In English it is called cardiomyopathy
    officially they say he had chronic ischemia.
    KHL.RU cites the official diagnosis: "острая сердечная недостаточность, миокардиопатия" which means "acute heart failure, cardiomyopathy".
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by luckylucky View Post
    If there was no change in rhythm of his heart and his EKG and blood work was normal, usually an echo is not done. For all we know, all of his tests were normal and he felt fine.
    My wife, who is a doctor, said that it is almost impossible to diagnose cardiomyopathy sometimes.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
    Every time I hear about a young athlete dying because of a heart condition I wonder if they use those so-called "energy drinks" like Red Bull. The exorbitant amounts of caffeine are potentially very hard on your heart. I know among some athletes, they've become part of the daily game-day ritual. I'll be curious to know if anyone asks the question in this case.
    Most energy drinks don't rely on caffeine to give you the boost. The amount of caffeine in a can of Red Bull is about the same as an average cup of coffee. Energy drinks rely on B-12, which in itself does not provide energy but it catalyzes the process of absorbing the energy from food, and taurine, which has several other uses in the human body other than energy as well.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Freakish One View Post
    Most energy drinks don't rely on caffeine to give you the boost. The amount of caffeine in a can of Red Bull is about the same as an average cup of coffee. Energy drinks rely on B-12, which in itself does not provide energy but it catalyzes the process of absorbing the energy from food, and taurine, which has several other uses in the human body other than energy as well.
    I don't think this is accurate.

In fact, because Red Bull has so much caffeine – it can actually dehydrate the drinker. That means if you’re physically exerting yourself and drink just a Red Bull, the lack of hydration could strain your heart.

In 2000, Ross Cooney, a healthy, 18-year-old basketball player from Limerick, Ireland, collapsed on the court and died after drinking four cans of Red Bull before a basketball game.
    http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ull/index.html

is the khl perhaps trying to cover up their allowing him to play with chronic ischemia?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post

http://www.wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

Red Bull (8.2 oz) - 80.0 mg of Caffeine

8 oz cups of:
    Coffee, Drip - 115-175 mg
    Coffee, Brewed - 80-135 mg
    Coffee, Instant - 65-100 mg

Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces) - 100 mg

This is obviously a tragic loss. A tragic loss for Russian hockey and for international hockey, but first of all a tragic loss for Aleksei's family. I know what it means to lose a child. I know what it means to lose a brother or sister. You never get over it!

I understand kedr's (wife's) message, but I still think the KHL and a number of other European leagues, including my own (the Danish) need to tighten up their medical check routines.

I'm deeply sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    I understand kedr's (wife's) message, but I still think the KHL and a number of other European leagues, including my own (the Danish) need to tighten up their medical check routines.

I'm deeply sorry.
    They did have anykind of heart monitor device to try to revive him to lessen instant contact at all? I was wondering because in Texas they passed a law a few years back that at all sporting events (including amture events) they HAVE TO have a heart defilbartior on sight in case of an emergercy.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

I think the KHL needs to look at putting in regulations like the NHL has, regarding ambulances (ok, that one's being looked at already) and keeping defribilators in WORKING condition, ready to act on a moment's notice in the rinks (which also apparently didn't happen)..

This tragedy, as Karsten has mentioned, goes far beyond the normal person's understanding (including my own, I must admit), but what makes it so much worse is the fact that it quite possibly could have been avoided if proper procedures had been followed.

I'm glad the prosecutor's office is looking into this, and I hope those found guilty of negligent behaviour are adequately punished. More importantly, I hope that this can be a lesson learned (far too late) and that this kind of situation will never happen again.

It's unfortunate, and sickening, that it sometimes takes such a high-profile person to suffer or die before proper action is taken. You would think that Zholtok's unfortunate passing would have taught somebody the importance of taking all possible precautions... It is times like these that I really have to ask myself questions about the human race's inability to learn from its mistakes.

If in fact he had cardiomyopathy, none of a defibrillator, an ambulance, and elite physicians on site would likely have saved him.

However, it appears from early reports that none of these items were present at the rink when he initially collapsed - and that is unforgiveable.

Here's a TSN column asking many tough questions:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mck...s=topStory_nhl

Bottom line is whether avoidable or unavoidable, the world in general and the game of hockey in particular tragically lost a fine young man far, far too early, and it's just heartbreaking.

Karsten - you lost a child? As a father of two very young girls, you have my deepest condolences. I cannot even begin to imagine the depths of your pain, but you will always have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    They did have anykind of heart monitor device to try to revive him to lessen instant contact at all? I was wondering because in Texas they passed a law a few years back that at all sporting events (including amture events) they HAVE TO have a heart defilbartior on sight in case of an emergercy.
    every single rink in Ottawa, including the crappy Centennial (1967) rinks that look more like large temporary corrugated-steel sheds, have to have a defrib onsite, and a staffmember trained in its use must be on duty at ALL TIMES.... just because it might happen to be needed.

This is from the NY Times online hockey blog - a translation of the account of two Russian reporters who were at the game as the tragedy unfolded:

"In the Russian daily Sport-Express, this very vivid account by correspondents Andrei Kuznetsov and Aleksandr Shapiro conveys the despair and sadness that unfolded at the scene:

Men wept at the visitors’ entrance to the Chekhov arena. Avangard players and staff stood in a tight knot around Cherepanov’s stretcher as emergency workers neatly rolled it into the emergency vehicle. From tight lips escaped entreaties and cries: “Lyoshka, hold on. We are with you. We believe in you, Lyoshka!” Jaromir Jagr stood in his hockey sweater and skates for a few minutes before yelling so the whole street could hear, shaking his fists: “Lyoshka, wake up!” And then — he pressed himself against the wall. The Czech who had been uncle and mentor to Cherepanov in Omsk hid his red eyes behind his black forelock. And looking through that forelock, he watched the emergency vehicle pull away. As if he were trying to send some kind of additional recharge of life, for which the doctors fought.

However, the news from the local hospital was terrible. They tried to return Cherepanov to life with all means available. The heart of the young player was silent. Suddenly, it was reported that the man had begun to breathe, that the Chekhov doctors had managed to breathe life into him. … Alas, only for two minutes. Then again — failure. Two minutes … Another failure … The cardiogram then began to jump, but then again it went flat, a terrible straight line. Into the abyss.

Cherepanov’s heart stopped right on the Avangard bench at the end of the third period. For players and coaches this was a real shock. There had been no hard collision involving the Omsk forward. There were no blows to the head, no scary fall on the ice, no fights or strikes to the chest with a stick. But Cherepanov was unconscious — and four men carried him into the Omsk locker room. Understanding that a terrible tragedy was unfolding, the arena staff immediately took resuscitation measures.

It can be regarded as a crime, or as the everyday negligence of a distant Russian town. But the arena medical staff did not even have a working unit with electric shocks [defibrillation unit]. Conventional measures — such as adrenalin injections or chest massage — did not help. To the horror of healthy Avangard players and staff, the player’s heart started five times. Once he even came to consciousness and began to acknowledge his teammates. But then — it again stopped. By that time his heart had not been working properly for 15 minutes …

Of course, all functions like the postgame press conference were immediately canceled. To support the North Americans on the Hawks, Fleming and Grahame [Avangard coach Wayne Fleming and goalie John Grahame], in their grief came a staff member from Vityaz, Reid Simpson. Jagr stayed in the locker room, sitting there, motionless. He had experienced his most frightening shock in Russia. His teammates arose after a long time and shaved. On the bus, into a handset. To communicate to all the terrible news. … "

wow....gets scarier the more you read the details

does anyone have an amateur photos of cherry?

does anyone have an amateur photos of cherry?
    What kind of photos are you thinking of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information