2:3 - Shvartsman, 32.10
    2:4 - Lebedev, 34.10
    2:5 - Korotin, 41.50
    2:6 -Maklakov, 44.37
    2:7 -Margulis, 50.49
    2:8 -Margulis, 53.49

Bat-Yam - Maalot 1:3

Bat-Yam: Grinberg
    Maalot: Golodnitsky, Belo (Perel), Revnyaga (Raiter, Borobov)
    Last edited by Aldair; 15-03-2009 at 23:35.

Are the finals best of three again this year?

Hopefully some Youtube video appears......the videos out there are from this year's Haifa vs. Rishon (two weak teams) and last year's Rekhovot vs. Maalot (again, two weak teams, as Maalot was terrible last season but got a lot of new, strong players this year).

It would be good to show the public the stronger Israeli clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Are the finals best of three again this year?

Hopefully some Youtube video appears......the videos out there are from this year's Haifa vs. Rishon (two weak teams) and last year's Rekhovot vs. Maalot (again, two weak teams, as Maalot was terrible last season but got a lot of new, strong players this year).

It would be good to show the public the stronger Israeli clubs.
    Final is just one game, as it was before.

And video...Maybe this year there will be some video of the national sport channel, I've heard they will arrive to the game to make some report.

P.S. Semifinals stats were updated.

Weren't the finals best of three a year or two ago? I'm losing it......

from what age can you play there or even participate on the practices? cause maybe im going for a hockey academy on canada (probably banff or maybe even okanagan - penticton) and im looking for as much ice time as i can... if there is anyone that is playing there please e - mail me for any information on : rosenthalyuval@gmail.com

oh and by the way im 14.
    KS HORSES:c205:

Hi, Yuval, I'll talk to the "right people" about you :)

Israel Third place game, March 27

Bat-Yam - Metula 7:4

Israel Final Game, March 27

Maalot - Hertsliya 1:6 (1:1, 0:1, 0:4)

08' 1-0 Kosolapov (Volokhov)
    13 '1-1 Lebedev (Korotin, Khizhnyakov) PP
    34' 1-2 Lebedev (Maklakov) PP2
    41' 1-3 Margulis
    44' 1-4 Korotin (Maklakov)
    53' 1-5 Maklakov (Korotin)
    59' 1-6 Maklakov
    PIM: 9x2 - 5x2 + Match penalty(Lebedev); Att.: approx.200

Maalot: 20.Sordsky Avihu; 24.Harash Sagy, 4.Ginzburg Vadim, 23.Belo Sergey, 14.Borobov Anatoly,5.Raiter Genady, 3.Shlufman Vadim, 19.Raiter Denis, 71.Golodnitsky Slava, 70.Kosolapov Vlad, 40.Shrivker Leonid, 10.Volokhov Anton, 27.Serenko Sergey, 17.Perel Yakov, 33.Revnyaga Eduard, 8.Shvartsman Vitaly, 22.Kovler Dan, 94.Golodnitsky Dan.
    Hertsliya: 30. Loginov Alexander; 16. Retner Daniel, 7. Korotin Artyom, 66. Sverdlov Vladimir, 10. Kaminsky Bar, 5. Ratner Kats, 81. Rozenman Dmitry, 17. Merzon Alexander, 11. Kolomhza Nikolay, 32. Maklakov Ivan, 12. Lebedev Mark, 23. Margulis Evgeny, 18. Khizhnyakov Evgeny, 19. Chernyak Dmitry, 4. Margulis Dmitry

Hertsliya - Israel Champion 2008/09

Individual awards:

Best scorer: Eduard Revyaga (Maalot)

League MVP: Artyom Korotin (Hertsliya)

Israel Final ranking

PlaceTeam
    1 Hertzliya
    2 Maalot
    3 Bat-Yam
    4 Metula
    5 Haifa
    6 Metula Jr.
    7 Rekhovot
    8 Rishon

why such a bad season for last year champion Haifa?

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    why such a bad season for last year champion Haifa?
    Because the best players leaved the team. ( Revnyaga to Maalot, Korotin to Hertsliya)

Congrats to Hertzliya on winning gold in their first season!

I'm very surprised that they won, as I believe this year's version of Maalot had a stronger roster than Hertzliya, especially in goal since Maalot had national team backup Avihu Sorotzky as its starting goaltender.

Maalot had Sergei Belo, Ed Ravniaga, and Slava Golodnitsky besides Sorotzky, all of whom have national team experience.

Hertzliya's only 'name' players were Artiom Korotin, Ivan Maklakov, Mark Lebedev (all with national team experience), and Bar Kaminsky (Jr. national team experience).

Maalot had, prior to this season, been a very weak club for several years. The four players mentioned above made them an instant Israeli league power. Likewise, Hertzliya's top four players made them an instant power as well.

The other team that greatly improved was Bat Yam, which had been an extremely weak team for many years now (as it had morphed from a good solid club back in the early days of Israeli hockey into a development team run by national team starting goalie Evgeni Gussin for Israeli roller hockey players learning the ice game). Joining Gussin on this year's Bat Yam club was national team player Avishai Geller, as well as the other stronger players from last year's Rishon club. Accordingly, Bat Yam was a threat to win gold this season.

Also, as a result of all of the player moves as mentioned above, Haifa was greatly weakened (former national team backup goaltender Boris Amromin being its only 'name' player left), and Rishon (formerly Maccabi Lod) was completely decimated.

Metula used to be the base team for the Israeli national Jr. (U-18) team, strengthened for league play with a few players 18+ years of age. I'm not sure if that was still the case this year, or if Metula Jr. became the base club for the Israeli junior national (U-18) team. Metula Jr. was run by former Israeli Junior (U-18) player, and now men's Israeli national team player, Oren Zamir, who is now in his early twenties.

The Israeli league is very odd in that there is a very, very wide disparity in talent between the league's top and bottom players. The league features everything from guys who played minor pro in various countries (Gussin, Ravniaga, Geller), through players who are literally recreational players. Players range in age from 13 or 14 years old all the way into the 45 year old range. The teams (and therefore the league) have very little depth, and a team that gains three or four top players can completely turn its fortunes around in one season, as we saw in this past 2008-2009 campaign.

I will write a recap of the season. I have had the pleasure to correspond with, and gain information from, Lionel Gaffen, THE pre-eminent Israeli hockey writer and photographer.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 12-07-2009 at 16:20. Reason: national TEAM starting goalie....

IHF Member
    Hi,
    I'll be writing an article which will provide a little more information about the games played on Friday the 27th, now that I have a few game comments as well, and after having watched both games, and will post it, hopefully later today. I also have a number of photos that I can upload, if I can receive the information on how to go about it, as this is the first time I'm posting anything here.
    Thx.

Lionel Gaffen

Quote Originally Posted by lygafe View Post
    Hi,
    I'll be writing an article which will provide a little more information about the games played on Friday the 27th, now that I have a few game comments as well, and after having watched both games, and will post it, hopefully later today. I also have a number of photos that I can upload, if I can receive the information on how to go about it, as this is the first time I'm posting anything here.
    Thx.

Lionel Gaffen
    Hi lionel!! Welcome here, it's a pleasure to have you among our members! Feel free to post your articles, inofs from Israeli league are really few so every contribution is welcomed!
    I contacted you some years ago to ask permission to reprint an article from you for eurohockey. Happy to see your passion for icehockey continues

IHF Member

posting photos

Hi Davide,
    How do I go about posting photos, as once I've corrected some with Photoshop- white balance, etc., I'll have a number of them I'd be willing to post, if desired.

Lionel.

Hi Davide,
    How do I go about posting photos, as once I've corrected some with Photoshop- white balance, etc., I'll have a number of them I'd be willing to post, if desired.

Lionel.
    I'm not sure but I think the best way is to create your own album (look under "community" in red menu bar) http://forums.internationalhockey.net/album.php

and share with all members

Lionel! I'm so glad that you decided to join IHF!

As I told Lionel privately, his writings on Israeli hockey are, in my opinion, the best in the world and have always been a central reference point for me.

It is a real pleasure to have you here, and I will look forward to your posts.

Of course, as I also said, if you want to do a season recap and save me the work, that would be great! :)

IHF Member
    Hi Davide,

Thx.- I just uploaded 4 photosto begin the album. Could you let me know if I did it properly?

Lionel.

IHF Member
    Hi Marc,
    Thx for the kudos. I just sent a piece off to the Post with photos- they may or may not publish it- you know the details. I'll write a more comprehensive piece on both games, if desired- the 3rd-4th placing as well as the Final ?
    As far as a season summary, as I may have mentioned earlier, I've been out of the goings -on this season, and have basically just covered the semis and the finals, which I'll be happy to write about. I'll also be doing an interview with Sergai Matin about the upcoming Worlds, if that'll be of interest as well.

Lionel.

IHF Member
    Do the photo albums show up in the Israeli hockey threads, or does one have to search for them?
    Lionel.

post link to your album here

IHF Member
    Here is the link to the album to the Final playoff game between HC Herzliya and HC Ma'alot of the Israeli Ice Hockey Federation league I've now added to. Lygafe.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...php?albumid=16

Lionel Gaffen / Fotomix
    Last edited by lygafe; 29-03-2009 at 14:34. Reason: additional photos have been added to album with clarification

IHF Member
    Herzliya emerges as Israeli National League Champions
    by Lionel Gaffen / Fotomix

In the final playoff games held at the Canada Center in Metulla on Friday, March 27, 2009. Bat Yam Piranhas played off against the HC Metulla team in the opening game for the 3rd place- bronze medallion, while HC Herzliya and HC Ma'alot battled it out for the League Championship.

The first game finished pretty much as expected, with the more experienced Bat Yam squad, led by Avishai Geller with Evgeny Gussin between the pipes winning by a 7-4 margin. The final score was not an indication of the closeness of the game, however, as the Metulla squad battled Bat Yam from the get-go. After the opening period, the score was tied at two. Metulla jumped into a 3-2 lead with a breakaway goal by Yoni Kniter [ according to Geller, the fastest man on the ice ], but thie joy was relatively short-lived, as Bat Yam fought back with three tallies in the space of seven minutes. With less than two minutes to go, Metulla notched thier fourth on a power play, leaving it at 5-4 heading into the final stanza
    The backbreaker came just at the beginning of the third period, with Geller knotting the prettiest goal of the evening, his second. As he swung down the right side, he received a pin-point pass, and without breaking stride, fired a wrist shot into the upper left hand side of the net, about an inch inside the pipe. The final Bat Yam goal was just the icing on the cake.

After the game, Geller added some insight into the strategy behind his team's win. "They're younger and faster than we are. Our game was to move the puck around more and play a little smarter than them. They had a 3-2 lead at one point, and it was a very close game- they were skating and shooting very well. It was a good, clean game."

When asked about this year's prospects at the World's- the IIHF World Championships, Division II, Geller stated," Our goal is to try to win a medal, but our prospects are not great; we hope to win a few games and ultimately to avoid relegation. It'll be a tough series this year, as we'll be playing without the Eizenman brothers and Max Birbraer, as far as I know." [ There'll be more to follow, as we'll be doing an interview iwth Sergei Matin, the president of the Israel Ice Hockey Federation ]

The Final, with Ma'alot coming in as the odds-on favorites, turned into somewhat of a slugfest, with Herzliya taking the championship by a whopping 6-1 margin.

Ma'alot jumped into a 1-0 lead at the 12:55 mark, with Vlad Kosolapov netting the goal, and while it looked as though Ma'alot would be off and running; this turned out to be their only tally in a very hard-checking and at times, a downright dirty game.
    A number of minutes later, Marek lebedev notched his first, of two on a power play, and the opening frame ended tied at one a piece.

With less than seven minutes to go in the middle period, Lebedev fired in his second on a power play that had two Ma'alot players sitting in the penalty box. Not long afterwards, Lebedev was given a game misconduct for a flagrant foul.

At the beginning of the final stanza, Evgeny Margulis made it 3-1, putting Ma'alot into a hole, and three minutes later, Artium Korotin knotted his only goal, although he assisted on two others. [ Herzliya controlled much of the play with superior stick handling and penetration, which began to manifest itself more and more in the third period, to the increasing frustration of the Ma'alot team ] A minute later, Sergei Belo was hauled down on a breakaway, and had a chance to close the gap with a penalty shot- which could have revitalized Ma'alot -he muffed his shot. Ivan Maklakov tallied the final two goals, as the fight just drained out of the Ma'alot team, as time ran out.

Sergei Matin commented that the Ma'alot team breakdown began to occur after the quick goal at the beginning of the third period, from which they never recovered. He also thought that if Belo had managed to score on the penalty shot, it could have turned the game around.

The League Champions have earned the right to take part in the International Ice Hockey Federation Continental Cup, for League Champions, to be held at the end of September.

Here is the link to the album to the Final playoff game between HC Herzliya and HC Ma'alot of the Israeli Ice Hockey Federation league I've now added to. Lygafe.

Lionel Gaffen / Fotomix
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...php?albumid=16
    Last edited by lygafe; 30-03-2009 at 20:54. Reason: name correction

Lionel:

One quick note. I believe it was "Metula" that Bat Yam defeated, and not "Metula Jr. / Maccabi Zair", in the semi-finals.

As I posted above:

"Metula used to be the base team for the Israeli national Jr. (U-18) team, strengthened for league play with a few players 18+ years of age. I'm not sure if that was still the case this year, or if Metula Jr. became the base club for the Israeli junior national (U-18) team. Metula Jr. was run by former Israeli Junior (U-18) player, and now men's Israeli national team player, Oren Zamir, who is now in his early twenties."

IHF Member
    Marc,
    I'll check it out- everyone that I spoke with during the playoffs referred to them as the junior national team; e.g., Liam Horowitz of the jr. national team was the goalie; it could be that there's a mix of both teams, and some people just got used to calling them the junior squad, and that's my error, if that's the case. Boris Mindel was coaching the team this game.
    Lionel

Lionel -

By your description, I believe that is the team that goes by "Metula." I think that many of the players are now 18 years of age or older, although there are some who are still probably U-18 eligible.

"Metula Jr." (also called "Maccabi Zair" and one other name I can't remember) apparently also has a mix of U-18 and older players (one being Oren Zamir, who is now 21 years old or so).

My guess is that "Metula", coached by Boris Mindel, is the base club for Israel's U-18 team (always called the "junior national team," since Israel never has had a U-20 team).

Perhaps now they are progressing towards being a base club for an Israeli U-20 (i.e., true "junior") national team as the players have aged, whereas "Metula Jr." may become a base club for the U-18's, but this is speculation on my part.

IHF Member
    Hi Marc,
    I made a correction in the piece- it's just the HC Metulla team; Sergei says the although many of the players are from the junior national team, other teams have a few of the national team juniors as well. As far as having a U- 20 team, that's not viable in Israel for a few reasons. One, at age 18, the guys go into the army for 3 yrs., leaving them with even more limited time, and two, it's mainly a financial thing, as the government sports ministry subsidizes sports up to the age of 18 in a case like hockey, but not afterwards, so it would become quite expensive, with no one to help foot the bill.

Lionel.

Lionel, can I use your excellent analisys at post #74 as recap for Israeli season for eurohockey?

IHF Member
    Hi Davide,
    With the greatest of pleasure. Please use my name as shown below.
    Our national team got off to a great start today, by beating N.Korea 2-1. May they continue in this fashion.

Lionel Gaffen/ Fotomix [ Lygafe ]

Hi Davide,
    With the greatest of pleasure. Please use my name as shown below.
    Our national team got off to a great start today, by beating N.Korea 2-1. May they continue in this fashion.

Lionel Gaffen/ Fotomix [ Lygafe ]
    Great! thanks a lot!
    Article is online
    http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...ague_champions

IHF Member
    Hi Davide,

I saw it- thx. If you want, you can add my link for the photos to the article, if there's an interest in photos in the Eurohockey.net.

Lionel Gaffen/Fotomix [Lygafe]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information