View Poll Results: Predict one Winning and one Relegating teams

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japan - to Promote up to the top level

    11 13.41%
  • Croatia - to Promote up to the top level

    2 2.44%
  • Ukraine - to Promote up to the top level

    33 40.24%
  • Estonia - to Promote up to the top level

    2 2.44%
  • Hungary - to Promote up to the top level

    32 39.02%
  • Lithuania - to Promote up to the top level

    2 2.44%
  • Japan - to Relegate down to Div II

    2 2.44%
  • Croatia - to Relegate down to Div II

    50 60.98%
  • Ukraine - to Relegate down to Div II

    1 1.22%
  • Estonia - to Relegate down to Div II

    12 14.63%
  • Hungary - to Relegate down to Div II

    1 1.22%
  • Lithuania - to Relegate down to Div II

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 318

Thread: 2008 IHWC Div I Group B Sapporo (JPN, CRO, UKR, EST, HUN, LTU)

  1. #101
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    I have searched the "entire net" for results of anyone steaming from Viasat sport. i just bought the channels so should be quite fun watching Hungary play in 1 ,5 hour:D,,

    Anyone knows where Ukraine players: Andrei Sryubko, Sergei Varlamov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Konstyantyn Simchuk and Ruslan Fedotenko is? are any one of theese players in the Ukrainian line-up?

  2. #102
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293

    Croatia

    Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    I have searched the "entire net" for results of anyone steaming from Viasat sport. i just bought the channels so should be quite fun watching Hungary play in 1 ,5 hour:D,,

    Anyone knows where Ukraine players: Andrei Sryubko, Sergei Varlamov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Konstyantyn Simchuk and Ruslan Fedotenko is? are any one of theese players in the Ukrainian line-up?
    Btw.. 0 - 4 to Ukraine vs Croatia, good goaltending by the Croatian goaltender so far.

  3. #103
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    893
    if we forget about the fact that ukraine scored 3rd&4th goal in only 21 seconds, im happy.

    0-4 is a same as 0-11 or 6-7, but its a decent start.

  4. #104
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SVK
    Posts
    27
    Croatia-Ukraine 0-4 (0-1, 0-1, 0-2)
    08:41 Dyachenko (Sryubko, Varlamov) 0-1
    33:48 Tsyrul (Kasyancuk, Klymentiev) 0-2, PP2
    52:06 Shakhraychuk (Klymentiev, Tsyrul) 0-3
    52:27 Karaulshchuk (Dyachenko, Matviichuk) 0-4

    GK: Belič - Karpenko
    SOG: 11-46 (7-22, 3-10, 1-14)
    PIM: 16-12
    Spectators: 593
    Referee: Reid (CAN)
    Last edited by Wbk; 13-04-2008 at 12:01.

  5. #105
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SVK
    Posts
    27
    Estonia-Hungary 3-5 (1-2, 2-1, 0-2)
    03:05 Ivanov (Petrov) 1-0, PP1
    07:48 Vas (Ladanyi. Horvath) 1-1
    11:10 Vas (Ladanyi, Tokaji) 1-2, PP1
    24:36 Makrov (Lahesalu, Kaljuste) 2-2, PP2
    34:03 Polozov (Sorokin) 3-2
    39:04 Kovacs (Groshl, Holeczy) 3-3
    45:30 Kovacs (Ennaffati) 3-4
    51:03 Fekete (Majoross) 3-5

    GK: Terentjev - Szuper
    SOG: 27-41 (5-22, 15-8, 7-11)
    PIM: 10-12
    Spectators: 978
    Referee: Meszynski (POL)
    Last edited by Wbk; 13-04-2008 at 11:59.

  6. #106
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    Lmao no 0 - 4 its not the same, but of course Ukraine out played Croatia and i dont think they lay so much power on the game either but for sure good for the plus minus statistics though^^ Just watched Estonias game, they played very well in the second period and goalie Szuper looked cold out. but not enuf stamina for TEAM Estonia in the last period though.

  7. #107
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    I watched the game on television and Hungary shot more then 41 shots .

  8. #108
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by LDK View Post
    Hi ,
    In order to improve the situation the national team must get to the elite division. I think if our NT goes rigth way , after 2-3 years we promote to higer level :)

    Now i am sure that this division is right place for this NT... minor league for Lithuania is to weak.
    Of course Div II is too weak for Lithuania in my opinion. You had a pretty good U-18 this year but to hope for the future development you need your u-18 team to maintain the same level year after year and I don't know how good will your youngsters be next year. Maybe they will relegate again...
    As for the men, qualifying for the Elite is not an easy task. Ok, it can happen. For example, I didn't expect France to qualify for the Elite last year and Lithuania also showed some quality a few years ago but it's too early for you to play in the Elite, I think. It can be like with Slovenia when they first entered the elite division and had terrible results. And it could happen with France this year too. Their u-18 and u-20 teams haven't produced anything particularly good in terms of results for the last few years.

    As for Elektrenai in the Latvia Open Samsung league, they need to strengthen their roster next year because they were pretty poor this year.

    PS: In Latvia too it's possible to watch the games from the tournament on Viasat, one of the sports channels. I don't have Viasat so I don't really know.

  9. #109
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187
    A video of goals of game Hungary-Estonia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99YSKFte8Uc

    Including disallowed goal of team Hungary and body-check performed by defenseman Szélig against Makrov. Check out beautiful goal scored by Polozov.

    Note that all goals of team Hungary were scored by our 2nd,3rd and 4th lines, our 1st line was unable to score today.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  10. #110
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    The goal Hungary made was false rejected, bullshit only i loved thebody check that maked that estonian player fly like a flipper ball hehe, i saw the game live and Estonia made a game of it for like 45 minutes. Now Japan crashes Lithuania 4 - 0 after 1st intermission, and i have to say what the hell is the Lithuanian goalie doing? He is to weak even to play in Div.3 qualify lol

  11. #111
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    A video of goals of game Hungary-Estonia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99YSKFte8Uc

    Including disallowed goal of team Hungary and body-check performed by defenseman Szélig against Makrov. Check out beautiful goal scored by Polozov.
    The hit was actually on Petrov, but what a hit it was. A hip check by the textbook, Szélig lined up Petrov and hit his thigh. Congrats to Hungary on opening their tournament on a positive. Krisz, is their any minor concern that line one didn't score, or will that fix itself as the tournament continues?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  12. #112
    IHF Member Tokyo Bucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    1,383
    yeah, that was a nice open ice hip check! thanks for the video! can't wait to go up to Sapporo.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

    Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

  13. #113
    IHF Member tanman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,932

    scores and standings after day 1

    Croatia 0 Ukraine 4 (0-1, 0-1, 0-2)

    Estonia 3 Hungary 5 (1-2, 2-1, 0-2)

    Lithuania 0 Japan 5 (0-4, 0-0, 0-1)

    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Japan100035-0
    2Ukraine100034-0
    3Hungary100035-3
    4Estonia000103-5
    5Croatia000100-4
    6Lithuania000100-5

    Day 2 Games
    Ukraine VS. Estonia
    Hungary VS. Lithuania
    Japan VS. Croatia
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

  14. #114
    IHF Member Kiraly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Surrey, Canada
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    Congrats to Hungary on opening their tournament on a positive. Krisz, is their any minor concern that line one didn't score, or will that fix itself as the tournament continues?
    I don't think there is anything to be worried about. Looking at the game summary, the Ocskay line did get 10 shots on goal. I think the good news is that the Hungarian team has four lines that can score.

    I also noticed that Janos Vas was not in the lineup. Once he arrives, his addition will only benefit the team.

  15. #115
    IHF Staff Marc Brunengraber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Islip, New York
    Posts
    9,944
    Krisz, thanks for the video.

    That hipcheck was perfect!

  16. #116
    IHF Member Dimash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Minsk, Belarus
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalwi View Post
    Lithuanian squad

    Head coach - Dmitrijus Medvedevas
    Coach - Vytautas Šlikas
    Team doctor - Vladimiras Charitonovas
    or dmitri medvedev :) btw he's belarusian.
    was born in the bssr (belarusian soviet socialistic republic :) where he spent most of his life and hockey career playing for neman grodno. in 2003 he was granted lithuanian citizenship.
    imo, he was a decent forward in the past and has matured into a good coach.
    Life is a game

  17. #117
    IHF Member ahtikullervo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    673
    Not a bad day, too bad we lost to Hungary still, but the game was fun.

    I met kerusz and he is watching and will write his comments here for sure!

    We lost our momentum in this game letting the 3rd goal by Team Hungary in the final minute of the 2nd period. We have a young team and these highs and lows are kind of expected.

    IIHF president Rene Fasel was watching this and Japan-Lithuania game.
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

  18. #118
    IHF Member ahtikullervo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    673
    1 day impressions:

    Ukraine - solid, hard working, but without any spark od emotion. Efficent, but dull. Coaches very calm. Croatia did not create any emotions in Team Ukraine.

    Japan - very very fast in period 1, in last two periods nothing special. Fuel ran out or game done did not waste energy? Goalie looked very confident.

    Hungary - ups and downs, but won the game they HAD to. This team will fight for promotion.

    Estonia - had its chance, but blew it with the third goal of HUN in the end of 2nd period.

    Croatia - Vasja Belic kept it respectable.3 shots in the 2nd and 1 in the third tell it all.

    Lithuania - looked terrible in period 1, but better later on. Goalie seems very shaken and unconfident.

    - It was nice to see Estonian flag and fan in the audience.
    - It was fun to do first ever live broadcast in Estonian language from division I Worlds.
    - Japanese people are too polite!
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

  19. #119
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    I have bet €80 that Japan will beat Croatia with a Japan -3,5/+3,5, -3,5 for Japan. so they have to beat Croatia by 4 goals or more 4 - 0 , 5 - 1, 6 - 2 .. You think this bet is reasonable or am i lost in the jungle here? 1.70 in the odds by the way. Lithuania beat Croatia by 9 - 3 last time Croatia played in the second highest division. but then i think team Lithuania was a better team then they are now, yesterday Japan crashed Lithuania by 5 - 0..

  20. #120
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    Im watching Estonia - Ukraine, massive pressure from Ukraine but no strictly good scoring chances and 1 8 -4 shots after first period 0 - 0 :P Go EESTI!!

  21. #121
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    Ukraine beat Eesti with 3 - 1 close game i think that the Esonians did well in the second period i missed the third one. now im waiting for the start in Lithuanians game versus Hungary.

  22. #122
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187

    IHWC

    I made a 10 min long highlights video of Hungary - Estonia game, I tried to include everything, you can check it here:




    I can make the same highlights for all team Hungary games.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  23. #123
    IHF Member Niaure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Siauliai, Lithuania
    Posts
    60
    I'm going nuts with Lithuania's penalty minutes. You'll never reach any positive result half a game playing on penalty killing,witch is the worst in the World. I know, without leaders and main goalie we couldn't expect something high,but first of all we must reduce our penalty minutes,especially that most of the are absolutely stupid. At even strenght we look normally and loses would be in very respectful results
    ... If only Kasparaitis could play for his National team :083:

  24. #124
    IHF Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SVK
    Posts
    27
    Japan-Croatia 3-0 (1-0, 0-0, 2-0)

    08:34 Mitani (Keller, Kawai), 1-0 PP1
    41:05 Obara (Miyauchi, Saito), 2-0 PP1
    56:24 Suzuki (Keller, Kawai), 3-0 PP1
    Last edited by Wbk; 14-04-2008 at 15:01.

  25. #125
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post


    I can make the same highlights for all team Hungary games.
    It would be awesome, my interest of course is for Hungary Kazahstan match :)
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  26. #126
    IHF Member EVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    217
    Thanks Krisz. Very nice highlight video. It would be very nice if you made videos of other Hungary's games. It's nice to see that action in the rink compered with looking only the score board without knowing who the game goes.

  27. #127
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Thornhill, Ontario
    Posts
    912
    Leksandstars - where are you watching?

  28. #128
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    I have bet €80 that Japan will beat Croatia with a Japan -3,5/+3,5, -3,5 for Japan. so they have to beat Croatia by 4 goals or more 4 - 0 , 5 - 1, 6 - 2 .. You think this bet is reasonable or am i lost in the jungle here? 1.70 in the odds by the way. Lithuania beat Croatia by 9 - 3 last time Croatia played in the second highest division. but then i think team Lithuania was a better team then they are now, yesterday Japan crashed Lithuania by 5 - 0..


    sorry mate.

  29. #129
    IHF Member rusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rezekne
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    Leksandstars - where are you watching?
    Viasat Sport 3, I guess, it's largest satellite tv company in Scandinavia and Baltic region. I assume that participation of Estonia and Lithuania in this group has something to do with the fact that they are actually showing the games.

  30. #130
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187

    IHWC

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    It would be awesome, my interest of course is for Hungary Kazahstan match :)
    I cannot promise a Hungary - Kazakhstan game highlights, but I will make a Hungary - Ukraine for sure.

    Until then, Hungary - Lithuania goals:



    I tried hard to post Lithuania goals, but I did not find any.

    I will make a 10 min game highlights of HUN-LIT tomorrow.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  31. #131
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    what's the problem with game against Kaz? you don't have enough minutes on the camera to show all the goals by Kazakhs?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  32. #132
    IHF Member tanman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    3,932

    scores and standings after day 2

    Ukraine 3 Estonia 1 (0-0, 2-1, 1-0)

    Hungary 6 Lithuania 0 (2-0, 2-0, 2-0)

    Japan 3 Croatia 0 (1-0, 0-0, 2-0)

    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Hungary2000611-3
    2Japan200068-0
    3Ukraine200067-1
    4Estonia000204-6
    5Croatia000200-7
    6Lithuania000200-11

    Day 3 Games
    Croatia VS. Estonia
    Ukraine VS. Lithuania
    Hungary VS. Japan
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

  33. #133
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    Ukraine 3 Estonia 1 (0-0, 2-1, 1-0)

    Hungary 6 Lithuania 0 (2-0, 2-0, 2-0)

    Japan 3 Croatia 0 (1-0, 0-0, 2-0)

    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Hungary2000611-3
    2Japan200068-0
    3Ukraine200067-1
    4Estonia000204-6
    5Croatia000200-7
    6Lithuania000200-11


    Day 3 Games
    Croatia VS. Estonia
    Ukraine VS. Lithuania
    Hungary VS. Japan
    If you ask me Championship can finnish today.

  34. #134
    IHF Member Niaure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Siauliai, Lithuania
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Politicki View Post
    If you ask me Championship can finnish today.
    If you ask me, chanpionship CAN'T finish today
    ... If only Kasparaitis could play for his National team :083:

  35. #135
    IHF Member ahtikullervo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    673
    I have the first hand information - tournament did not finish today!!!

    Tomorrow no games, but after that some really good ones!!!
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

  36. #136
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Niaure View Post
    If you ask me, chanpionship CAN'T finish today
    Why not?

  37. #137
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293

    Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    Leksandstars - where are you watching?

    Im watching swedish viasat sport 3..

    im not ceratin which satellite they are on but,,
    condemned, Japan just won by 3 - 0:(:(


    lost my money. and no so little money either:/

  38. #138
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    I saw a funny thing about Japanese hockey. they got almost 80% more Senior players then Sweden have almost as much players as Switzerland, Germany and Austria have registered together, and still they are not so good,. It must have to do on the lack of interest from sponsors etc, if u play hockey and wanna be better u need to put away almost 100% focus for only hockey and with no pay checks if they not have in Japanese league that isnt possible, they need to bring home food to their childrens, am i right?? I think its money that is the difference, Asian player got good technique are very sppedy maybe not the roughest and stabile team japenese have a overall lenght in their country that is kindda tall^^

  39. #139
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    Shame on me tho, I thought Hungary was on group A
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  40. #140
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    I have searched the "entire net" for results of anyone steaming from Viasat sport. i just bought the channels so should be quite fun watching Hungary play in 1 ,5 hour:D,,

    Anyone knows where Ukraine players: Andrei Sryubko, Sergei Varlamov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Konstyantyn Simchuk and Ruslan Fedotenko is? are any one of theese players in the Ukrainian line-up?
    Sryubko and Varlamov are with the team. Simchuk has got a serious injury in the end of RSL regular season and isn't playing for a lot of time
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

  41. #141
    IHF Member Tokyo Bucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    I saw a funny thing about Japanese hockey. they got almost 80% more Senior players then Sweden have almost as much players as Switzerland, Germany and Austria have registered together, and still they are not so good,. It must have to do on the lack of interest from sponsors etc, if u play hockey and wanna be better u need to put away almost 100% focus for only hockey and with no pay checks if they not have in Japanese league that isnt possible, they need to bring home food to their childrens, am i right?? I think its money that is the difference, Asian player got good technique are very sppedy maybe not the roughest and stabile team japenese have a overall lenght in their country that is kindda tall^^
    Yup, you've hit the nail on the head.
    The lack of sponsors means, lack of pro teams, which means lack of players who can continue their career as pros and maybe become late bloomers. Instead many promising players are dropped from the system if they do not blossom early enough in their careers to get noticed by the 4 Japanese pro teams in the AL.

    Theoretically AL teams can sign any Japanese, Korean, or Chinese player to their team and not have them count as an import. So, the 7 team AL should offer more opportunities for all players from these countries to continue playing pro, but in practice this option is rarely being used. Not having a second tier pro league beneath the AL doesn't help either.

    So, lots of registered players, but they're almost all on amateur club teams holding down regular jobs and can't concentrate on hockey.

    The new rules is more advantageous to fast and skilled players, so this helps Asian nations, rather than the trapping styles where physical size and strength is more important. But Asian teams also need better team work and hockey sense, and this can only come with playing more high calibre games, which there aren't enough opportunities to do so in Asia at the moment (so some Asian players are making their way over to NA and Europe, which helps, but more players need to go play overseas).
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

    Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

  42. #142
    IHF Staff Trim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Xingping, Shaanxi Province, China
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks View Post
    But Asian teams also need better team work and hockey sense, and this can only come with playing more high calibre games, which there aren't enough opportunities to do so in Asia at the moment (so some Asian players are making their way over to NA and Europe, which helps, but more players need to go play overseas).
    And then, as quite a few countries have experienced including Japan, those players aren't available to the national team as their clubs continue their seasons, compounding the difficulty in promoting and using their elite division status to showcase themselves and the sport to sponsors in the country. The players also miss out on sharing their overseas experience to their teammates to speed the overall program's learning.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

    I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

  43. #143
    IHF Member Tokyo Bucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    1,383
    Yeah, good point.

    I'm not sure what can be done to rectify that situation, other than a more unified calendar. A totally unified calendar is impossible, but it might be possible to align various national leagues schedules a little more. Then again, I guess the IIHF doesn't want all levels of IHWC tournaments going on at once (and we wouldn't either, as keeping up with all the different tournaments going on at the same time now is difficult enough), so we end up with the current situation.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

    Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

  44. #144
    IHF Staff Graham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    4,245
    Isn't the real cause about culture, and that the lack of money is just a symptom of the lack of hockey culture? Look at the number of people in the USA that play soccer/football. And yet, the USA are officially only ranked 21st in the world (and most would argue that they are nowhere near as high as that in reality) and that the MLS is still a very immature league compared to those in the Europe, Asia and South America. But, for most Americans, football is a hobby and not seen as a professional sport.

    I think that is true of a lot of the lesser hockey nations. The problem is that so many of them, Great Britain and Japan included, tried to fix the money problem without trying to fix the culture problem. As a result, they created a sport whose infrastructure couldn't support it. They all look across the Atlantic/Pacific and decide that they want to implement that pro league, but don't seem to recognise that the passion for the sport in Canada, the north-east of the US and Michigan was what allowed that pro league to exist, not the other way round.

    Ultimately, you can't really force it. You have to create a product that is exciting to the public. It doesn't actually have to be good quality hockey; if you've never seen the sport before you don't know what is good. You just need to create something that creates a passion and build from it. Instead of great pro players, which seems to be the focus more often than not, you need to create a culture where every community wants an ice rink, and that is where the non-traditional nations fall short in my eyes.

    Looking at the IIHF figures, Japan has 14,679 registered senior players against Sweden's 15,001. But, Sweden has 315 indoor rinks and 136 outdoor rinks against Japan's 137 and 124. That tells me that, regardless of the number of players involved, Sweden has ice sports as a corner-stone to it's sporting culture in a way that Japan isn't close to, yet.

    Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

  45. #145
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Isn't the real cause about culture, and that the lack of money is just a symptom of the lack of hockey culture? Look at the number of people in the USA that play soccer/football. And yet, the USA are officially only ranked 21st in the world (and most would argue that they are nowhere near as high as that in reality) and that the MLS is still a very immature league compared to those in the Europe, Asia and South America. But, for most Americans, football is a hobby and not seen as a professional sport.

    I think that is true of a lot of the lesser hockey nations. The problem is that so many of them, Great Britain and Japan included, tried to fix the money problem without trying to fix the culture problem. As a result, they created a sport whose infrastructure couldn't support it. They all look across the Atlantic/Pacific and decide that they want to implement that pro league, but don't seem to recognise that the passion for the sport in Canada, the north-east of the US and Michigan was what allowed that pro league to exist, not the other way round.

    Ultimately, you can't really force it. You have to create a product that is exciting to the public. It doesn't actually have to be good quality hockey; if you've never seen the sport before you don't know what is good. You just need to create something that creates a passion and build from it. Instead of great pro players, which seems to be the focus more often than not, you need to create a culture where every community wants an ice rink, and that is where the non-traditional nations fall short in my eyes.

    Looking at the IIHF figures, Japan has 14,679 registered senior players against Sweden's 15,001. But, Sweden has 315 indoor rinks and 136 outdoor rinks against Japan's 137 and 124. That tells me that, regardless of the number of players involved, Sweden has ice sports as a corner-stone to it's sporting culture in a way that Japan isn't close to, yet.

    Graham.
    Just one notice of your earlier post, for the record we both now also that Sweden is a larger country/bigger country on the area km2 or what to say i think u get what i mean, 137 ice rinks in a small country like Japan is quite promising to though,

    I think, 1 step in the right direction for Japenese hockey could be to expend the league to more team.. and play it so for a couple of years and then expend it again.

    Maybe really i think i got to much coffee or something lol..
    But the only thing i want is that more nations in hockey can compete in the already establihed nations..

    1 country that made hte most improvements in a 5 year assessment has to be Denmark if everyone elses agree, they took the step up to Top Division and have been there ever since.

    I really remember 5 - 2 against USA Also in the same tournament 2 - 2 vs Canada is saw that one live. as in numbers för Denmark they got under 4 000 or around 4000 registered seniors, but still theyve taken the step to establish a team in highest divisions also they take their junior national teams to top divsion both for U20 and U18, they got crashed pretty hard in the U20 tournament in december though but 1 way in right direction it got to be.

    Ive got a question for buck also, i saw Japan play in 2002 in sweden and it was a player every fans had on their shirt, #79 i think, Chris Yule, what about him is he still playing?

    And what about Fukufuji is he still playing in the farm team division playoffs?


    I really want Japan to promote to next years Top Division in Switzerland, that can really help em got more experienced on higher levels and playing much better opposition.

    And to tell something crazy as i am from Sweden and when Sweden team play i always watch, games against, Canada and USA can i almost watch, but when they play teams like Russia, Slovakia, Czechs, it so damn boring, now is the Pojistovna cup soon, and it so damn boring to see the teams playing each other. I love to see a game when a team is so much underdog like Belarus vs Germany, Latvia - Finland and the underdog play an upset i always wait for a big surprise every year in the IIHF WC but it never appear, maybe one - three games can schock the hockey world, but a worser ranked team under 7 never ma´ke the semifinal..
    Though we got Belarus in semifinal of the olympics beating Sweden..


    This year i am hoping for results that schock the entire hockey world like Denmark did against USA 5 - 2.
    But then i want that team to make the elimination round..

  46. #146
    IHF Member leksandstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lidköping, Sweden
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks View Post
    Yup, you've hit the nail on the head.
    The lack of sponsors means, lack of pro teams, which means lack of players who can continue their career as pros and maybe become late bloomers. Instead many promising players are dropped from the system if they do not blossom early enough in their careers to get noticed by the 4 Japanese pro teams in the AL.

    Theoretically AL teams can sign any Japanese, Korean, or Chinese player to their team and not have them count as an import. So, the 7 team AL should offer more opportunities for all players from these countries to continue playing pro, but in practice this option is rarely being used. Not having a second tier pro league beneath the AL doesn't help either.

    So, lots of registered players, but they're almost all on amateur club teams holding down regular jobs and can't concentrate on hockey.

    The new rules is more advantageous to fast and skilled players, so this helps Asian nations, rather than the trapping styles where physical size and strength is more important. But Asian teams also need better team work and hockey sense, and this can only come with playing more high calibre games, which there aren't enough opportunities to do so in Asia at the moment (so some Asian players are making their way over to NA and Europe, which helps, but more players need to go play overseas).
    Are you often go to games and see the elite league in Japan, what is the avg attendance and what is the capacity of the different biggest ice rinks in Japan. could be nice to know about to...

  47. #147
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187
    Hungary - Lithuania game 10 mins highlights:




    I liked Estonia playing better, Lithuania is a really undisciplined team, making stupid penalties, like the one after the first hungarian goal: Vas scores already 5-on-3, celebrates his goal, lithuanian player checks him from behind, and goes to the bench, giving an other 5-on-3 chance for team Hungary, who scores again. Dauksevicius was good, but he seemed to be tired at the end (I can understand, he faced about 50 shots), Szuper wasn't really tested by lithuanian players. I expected more from Lithuania, they will have a hard one against Croatia, who is performing very well so far in this tournament.

    Our 1st line was unable to score against Estonia, but scored 3 times today, 2nd line added 2 more, 3rd liner Kovács scored the penalty shot. The penalty shot was given, because goalie Dauksevicius threw his stick when Vas tried to shoot (you can see on the video). Check out #19 Ocskay, who scored his both goals the same way: looking in an other direction, like looking for the chance to make a pass, but made a shot instead. Goal of #24 Palkovics was a nice one: puck went over the net, bounced back in front of him, he did not wait for the puck to fall down, scored while the puck was still in the air. Break-away specialist Kovács scored his penalty-shot the same way he scored his breakaway goal against Estonia: top left corner.

    János Vas (Iowa Stars, AHL) will join the team today, most probably -if not jetlagged- he will play against Japan tomorrow. I expect him to be in the 2nd line, together with #11 Ladányi and with #10 Márton Vas (his brother). I expect Peterdi (current 2nd liner with Vas M. and Ladányi) to go to the 4th line, he did not show anything in this tournament yet. However János Vas played together with Ocskay and Palkovics in one line, back in 2005, in Div.I. WC in Debrecen, Hungary. So maybe coach Cortina will choose to put him in the 1st line.

    If we win against Japan, promotion will be decided on the last day, Hungary against Ukraine, if we lose against Japan, I don't think Japan is good enough to stop the ukraines.

    Still my opinion is that we are the only team which could stop Ukraine, while I admit, there is a huge chance for Japan to defeat us: playing on home ice, being hungry for promotion. Team Hungary doesn't like the japanese style: they skate fast, handle the puck well, they seem to be dangerous in PP. If we manage to stay out of the penalty box, if we play disciplined hockey, and try to skate as fast as the japanese, we can win that one.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  48. #148
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    37
    Who is the underdog in the game Belarus - Germany? Both teams are roughly on the same level. Both teams are normally too strong to go to relegation. They are able to make some surprise against the elite teams (last wc GER - CZE 2:0) but they are also able to loose against every country in the world cup...

  49. #149
    IHF Member Spitfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    Who is the underdog in the game Belarus - Germany? Both teams are roughly on the same level. Both teams are normally too strong to go to relegation. They are able to make some surprise against the elite teams (last wc GER - CZE 2:0) but they are also able to loose against every country in the world cup...
    wrong thread I think

  50. #150
    IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Turin, Italy
    Posts
    2,991
    Any good gallery for this tournament?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •