• Estonia - to Relegate down to Div II

12 14.63%
  • Hungary - to Relegate down to Div II

1 1.22%
  • Lithuania - to Relegate down to Div II

14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2008 IHWC Div I Group B Sapporo (JPN, CRO, UKR, EST, HUN, LTU)

IHF Member
    yeh thats true always been close games between us. anyway japs scored 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer86 View Post
    yeh thats true always been close games between us. anyway japs scored 3-1
    JPN just made it 3-2 with the goal from Masahito Nishiwaki at the 45:59 mark of the game. This should be a great 3rd period here.

BTW: CRO shocked EST in a shootout 2-1 to get their first win here.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    Great game, great spirit from team Japan, coming back from 3-0. Poor refereeing, many penalties given to Hungary for nothing, clear japanese goal disallowed in the 59th minute (it was 3-2 for HUN in 59th min, beautiful japanese goal was scored, goal judge did not light the lamp, thinking he hit the bar). Japan is victim of stupid rules, no video goalie in Div I. WCs. Hungary played good until 3-0, then we got tired, trying to defend our lead. I'm not proud of this win, Japan should have deserved to tie the game here.

Videos only tomorrow, I could not record the game.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

Interesting last 2 days coming up at the bottom end of this tournament after Croatia's win over Estonia. Lithuania's last two games are against both of those 2 teams. This is possibly going to be the most enteraining relegation battle we've ever seen in the Division 1 seniors...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

scores and standings after day 3

Croatia 2 Estonia 1 (SO) (0-1, 1-0, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0)

Ukraine 6 Lithuania 1 (4-0, 1-1, 1-0)

Hungary 4 Japan 2 (0-0, 3-1, 1-1)

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Hungary3000915-5
    2Ukraine3000913-2
    3Japan2001610-4
    4Croatia010222-8
    5Estonia001215-8
    6Lithuania000301-17

Day 4 Games
    Estonia VS. Lithuania
    Hungary VS. Croatia
    Japan VS. Ukraine
    Last edited by tanman9; 16-04-2008 at 17:35.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    http://sport.hrt.hr/htvsport/Opsirno.../04/16/001.xml

goals from cro-est game
    just click on real stream in top right corner

Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg View Post
    yes, borna rendulic is going to japan!
    probably youngest ever to play div1, he just turned 16.

croatia on tuesday morning is leaving for hong kong.
    they practice there for a 3 days and having some kind of skill competition with the host NT and will play a friendly.
    Borna didn't make the team? He is not on the final roster... Too bad, I was hoping to see how he did in Div I. It's a good thing you beat Estonia so Rendulic will have a chance to try again next year.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    shardik, borna is in japan and he would have been in a team if miroslav brumercik didnt came from slovakian playoffs. croatia put only 21 players in the list, leaving one space open. brumercik at the end managed to arrive on tuesday, so borna is just watching div1 this season. he will be on of the key players for the future.

another kid shined today. GWG was scored by 19-yo Michael Novak.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    Great game, great spirit from team Japan, coming back from 3-0. Poor refereeing, many penalties given to Hungary for nothing, clear japanese goal disallowed in the 59th minute (it was 3-2 for HUN in 59th min, beautiful japanese goal was scored, goal judge did not light the lamp, thinking he hit the bar). Japan is victim of stupid rules, no video goalie in Div I. WCs. Hungary played good until 3-0, then we got tired, trying to defend our lead. I'm not proud of this win, Japan should have deserved to tie the game here.

Videos only tomorrow, I could not record the game.
    Yeah, I think you've summed up very nicely what I read from Japanese fans too. Both them and you are very calm and levelheaded about this. It's just too bad for Japan now. The only hope remaining is for Japan to beat Ukraine and Ukraine to beat Hungary, and for the goal differentials to work out. That's a lot to ask for, but something really funky like that has happened before with the World Baseball Classic for Japan in 2006, so it's not impossible (but Japan maybe have used up its luck there :P )
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    Croatia 2 Estonia 1 (SO) (0-1, 1-0, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0)

Ukraine 6 Lithuania 1 (4-0, 1-1, 1-0)

Hungary 4 Japan 2 (0-0, 3-1, 1-1)

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Hungary3000915-5
    2Ukraine3000913-2
    3Japan2001610-4
    4Croatia010222-8
    5Estonia001215-8
    6Lithuania000301-17

Day 4 Games
    Estonia VS. Lithuania
    Hungary VS. Croatia
    Japan VS. Ukraine

Wouldn't it be correct this way?

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Ukraine3000913-2
    2Hungary3000915-5
    3Japan2001610-4
    4Croatia010222-8
    5Estonia001215-8
    6Lithuania000301-17
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

shardik, borna is in japan and he would have been in a team if miroslav brumercik didnt came from slovakian playoffs. croatia put only 21 players in the list, leaving one space open. brumercik at the end managed to arrive on tuesday, so borna is just watching div1 this season. he will be on of the key players for the future.

another kid shined today. GWG was scored by 19-yo Michael Novak.
    Thanks for the info. So you think that Borna could have replaced some other player in the roster if that had been possible? What do you think would have been Borna's role then? 3-4 line or extra attacker?

I am looking forward to following Borna's career. I think it is really cool that players from developing hockey countries come to Finland to train and become big stars for their countries. Borna for Croatia and Alejandro Pedraz and Juan Munoz for Spain will be great players in the future.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Thanks for the info. So you think that Borna could have replaced some other player in the roster if that had been possible? What do you think would have been Borna's role then? 3-4 line or extra attacker?

I am looking forward to following Borna's career. I think it is really cool that players from developing hockey countries come to Finland to train and become big stars for their countries. Borna for Croatia and Alejandro Pedraz and Juan Munoz for Spain will be great players in the future.
    Fourth line and in fourth line he should be with two older and more experienced players. My opinion. But I am sure that Borna will be on our senior roster next year...hope in div 1.
    Last edited by Spitfire; 16-04-2008 at 20:08.

IHF Member
    Congratulations for the Croatians and for both teams on the Hungary-Japan game. I have the feeling that we have deserved the win since we did not let Japan to play his fast game and did not let them to score in powerplay which was their strength during this tournament. On the other side, the Japanese team have worked excellent to come back after 3-0 and they actually did it - it's a pity that the referees annulled it. Sorry, I'm simply not ble to write more at the moment, excellent and very exciting game, with two well prepared and determined teams. The teams deserved a much better refereeing.

A couple of inconclusive photos of the disallowed 59th minute goal. One observer said that upon checking with his fellow cameraman and their photos, that the puck hit the left post, then either the cross bar or the right post, but that it should've been a goal had there been video replay. That's his words translated/paraphrased.

Maybe it hit the bar at the back of the net and bounced back out really fast, like it was mentioned in an earlier post, but it doesn't look like it from the photos.

My take is that, nothing's known for sure without proper review, especially if that's what the photographers have on their cameras.

In the post-game press conference, the tournament chairman said that it was decided 2 years ago when Sapporo was awarded this tournament that there was going to be no video replays. Coach Mahon expressed his dissatisfaction about this.

Division I play can be fast enough to necessitate video replay on close plays at goal, so it was a bad decision by IIHF and/or tournament organizers not to use video replay for Sapporo (even though they have all the video cameras and such anyways).

Oh yeah, and photos from the game are not up yet on the official site :(
    http://www.2008ihwcd1b.jp/en/schedule/

Japan needs at least 2 goal win over Ukraine tomorrow. Not possible, I would say...
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

IHF Prospect
    Congrats to Hungary, though Japan's loss was very heartbreaking.
    Regardless of whether the puck was in or not, I think this incident highlights the need for the officials to have access to video replay. So much is at stake for the national programs of the countries participating that it's not acceptable for so much uncertainty to be left unaddressed. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the fans, not to mention the team themselves.

Estonia has contributed to making the tournament interesting with their play, even though they are winless as yet. They still have a lot of potential to play spoiler and I look forward to their remaining games.

Croatia has become something of a darling and I think many of the fans have taken a liking to them. I know that I certainly have. GK Belic outshone the entire team on Sunday (vs UKR) and has not let up yet. The rest of the team came across as a bit shaky to me in that first game, but seem to be improving with each tie-up. I hope they will give the Hungarians a headache on Friday and look forward to a solid performance on Saturday against Lithuania.

I am also enjoying the chance to meet some of the people on this thread here in person and other overseas fans. You guys rock!

Nip-pon, cha cha cha!

Damned, i dont want a team with like Hungary in Top Div. Go japan:)

Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    I do. They are making a good effort to lift their hockey program and needs to have a taste of the top division play to furhter that.

I want to see Hungary up there as well, for the same reasons that Bennison gave. They have put a great deal of energy into their hockey program in the past decade, and it would be a shame if it did not pay off.

See: http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...970#post111970
    Last edited by Jazz; 17-04-2008 at 08:42.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Prospect

IHF Member
    I don't know why you would want to say that. If they qualify they are more than welcome to try their luck among the elite.

Quote Originally Posted by GorazdR View Post
    I don't know why you would want to say that. If they qualify they are more than welcome to try their luck among the elite.
    Of course:D, i didnt mean to be rude but in my opinion i want to see Japan make it back since federation decided that 1 team from asia didnthave 1 spot waiting for them each year..

Anyone now about Janos Vas, is he injured i can see hes only played 1 game for Hungary so far?

since federation decided that 1 team from asia didnthave 1 spot waiting for them each year..
    Sorry, but that was the right decision. You should only be in the top division because your ability dictates that that is where your level is, and not because of your geography. It's not an Asian franchise!

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

IHF Member
    janos vas joined team hungary before the game vr japan

[QUOTE=leksandstars;112005]Of course:D, i didnt mean to be rude but in my opinion i want to see Japan make it back since federation decided that 1 team from asia didnthave 1 spot waiting for them each year..

QUOTE]

Having an Asian team (Japan) in the Pool A every year was was maybe a good decision when it came to sponsors.

However in terms of credibility and standard of play it was not a good move.

Match day 4 provides 2 crucial games. Lithuania will have to start showing some signs of life against Estonia, otherwise they’re in real danger of dropping down to Division II next year. And Japan has to beat Ukraine by 2 or more goals to retain any hope of winning this tournament and advancing to the top division. I’m sure the motivated Hungarians will have no problems dispatching the Croatian team.

Day 5 features the most likely “finals” of this tournament with Ukraine vs Hungary fighting to win it all and get promoted. Hungary’s Janos Vas (AHL Iowa Stars) should have his legs back after adjusting to the time zone and Japan by this final day of the tournament (he only recorded 3 shots on net in the Japan game). Ukraine is still the heavy favourites though. It’s as if the Japanese organizers and the Japanese Ice Hockey Federation scheduled this game knowing that it will be the de facto “finals”. Very strange move if you’re the host country, you should be doing the most, including scheduling, to win the tournament. What is home ice advantage for after all? But on second thought, it's probably to better fill up the arena, as attendance is best in Japan games, obviously, so they're hoping many would stay for the game afterwards. The potential relegation battle between Lithuania and Croatia could be interesting, and depending on how Japan did against Ukraine the night before, their match against Estonia will be a must win.

A good take on the tournament atmosphere by a resident gaijin. I'm guessing some of you met him.
    http://blog.jetblag.com/kurionekamak...php?itemid=850

Ok, flying up to Sapporo today. See you guys there! I'll be wearing my white Team Canada jersey and orange Nikko IceBucks #89 Martin Kariya jersey for the Japan games. Cheers! (One of the guys has my mobile number, but I'm sure I'll be able to spot some of you at the rink on Friday afternoon, we'll be there starting with game 2.)
    Last edited by Tokyo Bucks; 17-04-2008 at 20:25.

Croatia

I really dont care about result against Hungary. For me, most important thing is that nobody gets injured for saturday key game against Lithuania.

Go, Croatia

IHF Prospect

Lithuania

Estonia has just lost 4-1 to Lithuania. This is likely to mean that Estonia will go down (now 0-4 with one game left against Japan) and that Lithuania have managed to stave off relegation despite a lacklustre tournament up until now. Disappointing for Estonia fans, but a big relief for Lithuania fans - finally something to cheer about for them!

That was surprising, that Lithuania won that game, all games i watched Estiona have been sharper in almost every positions, maybe this that makes hockeyu fun, "anything can happen"

As I said, we had no preparation for this championship. Every game we look better and better. Even against Ukraine we played much much better than agaisnt Japan. We had a similar number of shots,less penalties than earlyer, only the goalie Kuzmicius was debuting and he is not the goalie of that level. Lithuanians are competitive team if they playing prepared. With all those circumstances and without some important leaders I expected minimum 4th place and I think it will be exactly this. Against Estonia our goalie Dauksevicius was sharp and saves came not only when the puck acidentally hit him like in earlyer games,but he catched it - here's the result
    ... If only Kasparaitis could play for his National team :083:

IHF Member
    Niaure, can championship finish today? :)

i just hope that japan will play full strenght in the last game. i cheer for them vr ukraine so they will have sth to play for on saturday

IHF Prospect
    Japan had better play full strength in the last game - no matter what the result tonight - as the fans wouldn't forgive them otherwise! They may have as many or more fans due to the timing of the game. Although their non-advancement may already be decided by then, I think increased awareness that the tournament is going on should help bring in some fans. There is a baseball game to compete with though...

Anyway, I don't think they will slack off regardless.

Niaure, can championship finish today? :)

i just hope that japan will play full strenght in the last game. i cheer for them vr ukraine so they will have sth to play for on saturday

Ehm... if it would really depended on us, I would accept that it would finish today,but just only when you would invite me to the BAR and regale me with lots of beer
    ... If only Kasparaitis could play for his National team :083:

The Japan v Ukraine game could have a very strong bearing on who gets relegated. If Ukraine win, Japan are guaranteed bronze but no better. For Estonia to avoid relegation, they must beat Japan. Whether an OT win will be enough will entirely depend upon the winner of Croatia v Lithuania. If Croatia win, Estonia need a win in regulation time. If Lithuania win, an OT win for Estonia will do.

However, if Japan end up with a game 5 that doesn't change their own standing, does that give us a "Kazakhstan" in the group and gift the Estonians the win that they need to stay up? Being on home ice, I would have hoped not. But, if Estonia hit them hard and early, it may be that Japan's good intentions disappear.

But another opportunity presents itself before that last game to condemn Estonia anyway. An overtime win for Croatia would relegate Estonia, regardless of the result in Estonia's last game. So, could we get Lithuania and Croatia agreeing to a 1-0 OT win for the Croatians?

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member
    0-1 down after second vr hungary. sog (9-9, 6-10) it could be better, but also a lot worse.

im hoping that liethuania wont play for baltic friends.
    results that croatia made so far are quite good, but we have to snatch two points, if we dont want to put our hopes on japan.

im hoping that liethuania wont play for baltic friends.
    But, by saying that, I think you are putting Lithuania into a no-win situation. If they win the game against Croatia (which they are currently likely to do, I would say), you accuse them of trying to help Estonia. Surely, it could just be that they are trying to win for themselves to ensure 4th place overall and a better ranking for the Olympic qualifiers?

A win in 60 minutes for either team or a Lithuanian win in OT, I wouldn't regard as suspicious.

Graham.
    ---

IHF Prospect
    Hungary 3-0 Croatia...

IHF Prospect
    So Croatia will be hard nut :D

IHF Member
    Croatia was a good opponent, congrats to them and good luck for their last game. I think they have to learn that a game lasts for 60 minutes and prepare themselves for that physically, they always had problems in the last periods. Anyway, I've seen a lot of improvement in their play.

Quote Originally Posted by kerusz View Post
    I think they have to learn that a game lasts for 60 minutes and prepare themselves for that physically, they always had problems in the last periods.
    But, the hardest opponents that they ever face is in the World Championships. Therefore, it's only natural that the weakest teams in the division fade in the last period as they have to skate a far higher tempo than they do in their own leagues. So, the only way to cure the problem is to improve the league, and that is a very difficult nut to crack.

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member

IHWC

Hungary - Japan goals here:

Including both disallowed japanese goals.

I will upload HUN-CRO goals this evening. I will make the usual 10 min highlights of both HUN-JPN and HUN-CRO tonight, will be up tomorrow morning the latest.

Sorry for being late, I had some technical problems.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

IHF Staff
    Thanks for the video Krisz, great work!
    Needless to say that it would be great for EBEL if Hungary promotes (and I'd be happy about that) but as far as I can see both goals not counted for Japan should have counted, right? If I'm not wrong the first was disallowed for the one JAP forward supposedly standing in the crease when the shot came in which I think he wasn't and the would be equalizer imho hit the post at the back of the net and just bounced out again quickly....that is really hard for Nippon and as a consequence there should be video reviews.

IHF Prospect
    Team Hungary ensured its 2nd place in the group with the Japan-Ukraine game remaining unfinished after regular time! If Japan earns the additional +1 point in overtime/shootout, an overtime/shootout loss would be enough tomorrow for Hungary to be promoted. Japan outshoot Ukraine 27-15 according to the IIHF website (after two periods), that's a bit surprising for me.

If we can't earn promotion tomorrow, we would probably finish in 19th place (meaning that we were the stronger second place team in DivI WCHs), which would mean in 2009 we would be playing against the weaker relegated team from Pool A, and the weaker 3rd in DivI 2008 (probably Poland instead of Japan).

These are good news I think.
    Last edited by akosspoo; 18-04-2008 at 15:48.

Bad news for Estonia. Japan now have something to play for tomorrow (silver)...

Graham.
    ---

scores and standings after day 4

Estonia 1 Lithuania 4 (0-1, 1-1, 0-2)

Hungary 3 Croatia 0 (0-0, 1-0, 2-0)

Japan 2 Ukraine 3 (SO) (0-0, 2-2, 0-0, 0-0, 0-1)

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Hungary40001218-5
    2Ukraine31001116-5
    3Japan2011712-7
    4Lithuania100335-18
    5Croatia010322-11
    6Estonia001316-12

Final Day Games
    Lithuania VS. Croatia
    Japan VS. Estonia
    Ukraine VS. Hungary
    Last edited by tanman9; 18-04-2008 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Bad news for Estonia. Japan now have something to play for tomorrow (silver)...

Graham.
    If Japan would have won the game in OT, then a chance for Silver would be a possiblity, But since Ukraine won, they will finish 3rd in the group.

Heartbreaking SO loss (2-3) for Japan in a very entertaining game that could have easily been 5-4 with many squandered chances going in both directions. Despite being outsized, outskilled, and outmuscled, the home team made it exciting with great speedy counterattacks and some almost-lucky bounces. Ukraine played their hardest so far in this tournament, so it’ll be interesting to see if they’ll finally come out full force against Hungary in the decisive game for the gold medal and promotion. The atmosphere in the arena for the UKR-JPN game gradually and steadily became more intense, and it was absolutely electric during the end of regulation, OT, and the SO which went into sudden death. That was good to see from the local supporters.

Lithuania finally woke up against Estonia with a 4-1 win. Estonia’s put in a very tight spot having to win against Japan to avoid relegation.

Hungary-Croatia was a bit of a snoozer with the Hungarians just waiting for the Croat legs to tire out, then pounding the goal for the sure victory. Croats need a club team or two competing in a higher calibre league to improve their national team, as domestic competition probably just breeds complacency. The winner of HUN-UKR match, the final one in this tournament, will be for the gold medal and promotion to the top division.

Was great to meet a fellow IHF member at the arena! And Keller's dad too!

GO Hungary
    Ice hockey in GREECE is back !!!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Thanks for the video Krisz, great work!
    Needless to say that it would be great for EBEL if Hungary promotes (and I'd be happy about that) but as far as I can see both goals not counted for Japan should have counted, right? If I'm not wrong the first was disallowed for the one JAP forward supposedly standing in the crease when the shot came in which I think he wasn't and the would be equalizer imho hit the post at the back of the net and just bounced out again quickly....that is really hard for Nippon and as a consequence there should be video reviews.
    Thanx mate. Yes, the first was disallowed because player was standing in the crease with both skates. We scored a similar one against Estonia, that one was disallowed too. I think it was right decision. Shame on the stupid system for the second disallowed goal of team Japan.

Imagine how great it would be: the 3 EBEL countries (SLO,AUT,HUN) playing in the 2009 WC Relegation Round. :D

Ukraine-Japan videos:

http://www.dailymotion.com/kalina_ukr/hockey
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Teerrible result and terrible a game for Estonia. We outshot Team Lithuania, but our boys can not score... Too bad.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information