Thread: Amsterdam

IHF Prospect

Amsterdam Tigers

Are their any English speaking Amsterdam Tigers fan as I am interested in watching the Dutch Cup in Amsterdam later this year and would like general information like good hotels to stop at ,where to eat,where to drink etc. Also interested in swapping/buying Tigers merchandise. I support Telford Tigers in the English Premier League Thanks
    Last edited by Steigs; 21-07-2007 at 17:18. Reason: Post icons

In the future, please pay attention to the rule regarding post icons. It's in the board rules (#10).
    Post icons should represent the content of the thread (in this case, you were asking about the Amsterdam Tigers, who are Dutch, not British, so the British icon had little to do with the post.)
    Last edited by Karsten; 21-07-2007 at 22:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    Are their any English speaking Amsterdam Tigers fan as I am interested in watching the Dutch Cup in Amsterdam later this year and would like general information like good hotels to stop at ,where to eat,where to drink etc. Also interested in swapping/buying Tigers merchandise. I support Telford Tigers in the English Premier League Thanks
    I am not a fan of the Tigers in particular, but I am from The Netherlands :)

The schedules for the Cup and Regular Competitions have not yet been released. Traditionally they are finalised a few days before the actual start of the season... What period are you looking to come over?

The Amstel Tigers have a merchandise stand at the rink, so you will be able to buy some goodies there. I am not too familiar with local hotels, but if you like I can try and find out some more info for you on the hotels. I assume you would be looking to stay somewhere in or near the center? There are definitely loads of places to eat in the city centre.
    IJshockey.com for all your Dutch hockey news. 9PM Media for hockey photography.

IHF Prospect
    Steigs,

Apoligies mate, didn't quite get the relevance of the icon.Repremand accepted!!!

Rinkrat

IHF Prospect
    fintan74,

Thanks for the info! I can get hotel info from the net but a bit of local knowledge is always good as locals know which are good and which are bad. Ideally a hotel near to the rink would be good. Is the rink in the centre ?

Cheers

Rinkrat

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkrat View Post
    fintan74,

Thanks for the info! I can get hotel info from the net but a bit of local knowledge is always good as locals know which are good and which are bad. Ideally a hotel near to the rink would be good. Is the rink in the centre ?

Cheers

Rinkrat
    The rink is outside the center, but you can use public transport to get there. I would definitely recommend staying in or near the center, as the area around the rink is not particularly interesting :)

The rink is actually quite small and for a regular game you will only see somewhere between 200 and 400 people there. Here is a picture of the inside of the rink:

If you are planning on using local transport from the city center to the rink, you can use the GVB trams with number 9, GVB busses 15, 40, 41 or 136 and Connexion bus 101 or 152. Bus 40 GVB is the best option, as it stops close to the rink. Otherwise ask the driver to drop you off at Middenweg/Kruislaan or Radioweg/Archimedesplantsoen.

PS: I got the public transport info from the Amsterdam-website, as I have no experience getting there by tram or bus :) I would recommend taking the street address of the rink (Radioweg 64) with you, as well as the phone number (+31 (0)20-6949652 ).
    IJshockey.com for all your Dutch hockey news. 9PM Media for hockey photography.

IHF Member
    I have been to the ice rink in Amsterdam and it worked just fine with tram 9. Tram 9 goes past Dam which is the central square and passes a number of hotels and has a stop a few hundred metres from the rink. Then turn left and you will see it on your right side after about three minutes. It's a can't miss really. I don't know where bus 40 departs from so it may be the better choice if it stops just outside the rink. However, if you are staying in the city centre I believe the tram is good enough.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there is a skating oval next to the icehockey rink. Jaap Eden should be a familiar name in the neighbourhood.

Mods,

Can we move this to the tourist section?

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Prospect
    fintan74 & Fredrik ...Thanks for the info guys

Cheers

Rinkrat

IHF Prospect
    As a UK hockey fan with regular business visits to Amsterdam I often take in a game at the Jaap Eden Barn. Tram 9 is the best mode of transport from the city, it starts at central station and passes through rembrandtplein and dam square on route. buy a stripenkaart for transport on busue and trams (available widely). Plenty of hotels and eateries in the city to suit most budgets as you would expect in any capital. Not a lot near the rink though buts it's only 20 mins from the city centre.
    The rink however has an excellant bar/restaurent for pre match munchies and does a great hot chocolate.
    Amstel don't get many to watch with attendances around3-400.
    take the time to arrive a bit earlier and watch the speed skaters on the outside oval, some of those guys really go.......
    Amsterdam is probably one of the finest cities to visit.

Thread Information