Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's the greatest Jewish hockey player?

Israel Who's the greatest Jewish hockey player?

Following the recent threads of 'who's the greatest' for each country, I thought I'd add this thread here. I put 'Jewish' instead of 'Israeli' since the Israeli hockey program is relatively very young, and doesn't have a large pool of players to choose from.

If I had to pick an Israeli player, I'd pick Max Birbraer.

Opening it up to all Jewish players (any of whom would have a right to Israeli citizenship if they want to take it under Israel's 'Law of Return'), I'd have to say my pick is Mathieu Schneider, who still is an excellent NHL defenseman into his late thirties.

I heard that former Soviet great Vladimir Myshkin is Jewish, and if so, he certainly would merit consideration.

Anyone else?

Definetly Nikolai Epshtein of Khimik Voskresensk.

As for Israeli players, I would put an argument for Oren and Alon Eizenman and Sergei Zak.

Not to forget Victor Zinger, goalie for Spartak Moscow in the 60s and 70s

IHF Member
    Jeff Halpern (Dallas Stars)

IHF Prospect
    I'm going to put in a vote for Michael Cammalleri (jewish mother) of the Los Angeles Kings.

He just finished the NHL season with 80 points, good for 27th in the league, which as far as I can tell is more points than any jewish player has ever collected in a season.

In 2004-05, the NHL lock-out season, he played in the AHL and finished first in the league in goals, and second in scoring (109 points) behind Jason Spezza.

He's only 24 years old. If he stays healthy, he'll be the all-time jewish scoring leader in the NHL.

Cammalleri is a great player. I'd put him up there as among the best Jewish players ever, but Schneider has been an elite NHL defenseman for the better part of a decade already. Mike has only what - 2 or 3 NHL seasons? Still, he's a great, great player.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

IHF Prospect
    Yes, I would agree that as of the present date, Schneider has had the best career of any (acknowledged) jewish hockey player. But I think that if Cammalleri keeps up his current pace for a few more years, he'll be the new top jew.

FWIW, I have at times heard rumors that Sergei Fedorov has jewish roots. Unconfirmed at this point, obviously.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

I never heard about Fedorov, but it has been rumored that Valeri Kamensky is Jewish. If that's true, he'd have to be considered.

Marc they are not Jewish even by a loooooooooooong shot !!!

What about Myshkin?

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    What about Myshkin?
    Its a big possibility still to be investigated

Other Jews who have played in the NHL -

David Nemirovsky, Ronnie Stern, Steve Richmond, Mike Hartman, Peter Ing,
    Mike Veisor.

I have heard rumors that Bobby Nystrom converted to Judaism, but I do not know if that is true.

SM-Liiga: Ladislav Kohn is Jewish.

IHF Member
    I've done a fair bit of research on the topic of Jewish hockey.

Bob Nystrom is not Jewish - he did however raise his family in the Jewish faith.
    Ladislav Khon is not Jewish
    As far as I can determine, none of the elite Soviet players were Jewish.

A publication called the JEWISH SPORTS REVIEW does an excellent job at verifying Jewish athletes. Their data and research are solid. They have reviewed hockey for the past 10-15 years and have covered all significant hockey leagues and have cited those players that will admit a connection to the Jewish faith.

I would have to say that Schneider would have to be the greatest of all Jewish players. Other players that deserve some consideration are Hy Buller and Max Kaminsky who were both outstanding players, but did not have the longevity that Schnieder's impressive NHL career has had. Cammalleri is also a great player. He has already established Jewish scoring records in his brief time with the Kings.

There are several Jews who had long minor league careers. Scott Drevitch has been playing for years and has played exceptionally well in the minors.

Larry Zeidel (Played with NHL Detroit and Philly), Porky Levine and the Labovitch
    brothers Max had a cup of coffee with the Rangers) had long productive minor league careers

Chick Zamick set all kinds of hockey records in England in the early 1950s and is still called the Gordie Howe of England.

Rudi Ball was one of the best players in Europe in the 1930s and won an Olympic bronze medal as Germany's finest skater at the Lake Placid olympics.

There are many other Jewish players - and many interesting Jewish hockey stories.

Welcome to the board, and thanks for a great first post!

I think there is some debate about Myshkin and Kohn - according to nhl.com, both are Jewish. http://www.nhl.com/features/pond/israel072806.html

IHF Member

Nyet Nyet Soviet

thanks for the welcome

According to Shel Walman at the Jewish Sports Review - Kohn is not Jewish. I was pretty sure he was at first - but it turns out he is not.

According to a variety of Russian Jewish hockey sources I have contacted and spoken to over the past several years, Myshkin is not Jewish.

Neither are Yuri Moisenev, Alexei Davydov, Yuri Liapkin, Pittsburgh rookie sensation Yevgeni Malkin, Yevgeni Zimin or Victor Zinger.

There have been a few good Russian players —*but none at the elite level. Sergei Zak, Evgeni Gussin, and the late Alexander Golubovitch (1961-2005) come to mind as the best of the recent Russians.

I am still trying to verify if Russian Mikhail Kravetz who played briefly for San Jose is Jewish, so if anyone knows for sure - post something!

Most of the existing websites and chatlines about Jewish hockey players are filled with information that has been furnished by well meaning people - but a lot of it is not accurate.

My article on Jewish NHLers can be found on the Hockey News website at
    http://www.thn.com/en/newsroom/news.asp?idNews=20396
    Last edited by Jazz; 06-05-2007 at 11:51. Reason: Ottawa Senator post idon had nothing to do with post

OK Victo Zinger is Jewish so is Nikolai Epshtein. The suspicion that Victo Myshkin is Jewish was started by me Bill Meltzer of the NHL told me that he might be Jewis. As for the others I do not know. Malkin sounds very suspicious.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    OK Victo Zinger is Jewish so is Nikolai Epshtein. The suspicion that Victo Myshkin is Jewish was started by me Bill Meltzer of the NHL told me that he might be Jewis. As for the others I do not know. Malkin sounds very suspicious.
    According to Igor Kuperman-- just about the ultimate authority -- Myshkin in not Jewish.

I thought he was because he's listed as Jewish in numerous places. There was an article in one of the Canadian newspapers, which I can't find online now unfortunately, that mentioned he was Jewish and succeeded in overcoming anti-Semitism because of his skill in net. He has also been listed among Jewish athletes in the Olympics in the Jewish Almanac.

Other (less authoritative) sources:

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-jews-in-sports
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Myshkin

But, like I said, Igor is a more reliable source than any of the above.

aren't steve yzerman and rj umberger jewish? they have jewish/american sounding name.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Algerian_hockey_playa View Post
    aren't steve yzerman and rj umberger jewish? they have jewish/american sounding name.
    Steve Yzerman is of Dutch descent and is not Jewish.

R.J. isn't Jewish, either. I'm not sure of his family's origin, but there are plenty of names with "berg" (or "berger") that are Germanic or Scandic.

IHF Member
    FLYBEAR in Philly is correct on both counts. Myshkin is not Jewish. Yzerman is from Ottawa and is deffinitely not Jewish. Surnames are only a partial clue to determining if a player is Jewish or not. Minor leaguer Jon ZION is not Jewish nor was Detroit HOFer Sid ABEL in spite of having old testament surnames. (come to think of it, Babe RUTH wasn't Jewish either!) But Maurice (Moe) Roberts was one of the tribe!

The Jewish Sports Review is the most reliable source of current Jewish sports information. The editors go to great lengths to check facts and will not publish until they are certain of the player in concern and his connection to Judaism. Most of the time, they contact the player himself. So for that reason ... in my humble opinion, the JSR is the most reliable source of Jewish sports information.

Vladislav Tretyak has jewish roots, so what ? Can any1 who possibly has jewish roots be considered "jewish greatest hockey player" ? What are you talking about ? Nationality or citizenship ?

Israel

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBear View Post
    Steve Yzerman is of Dutch descent and is not Jewish.

R.J. isn't Jewish, either. I'm not sure of his family's origin, but there are plenty of names with "berg" (or "berger") that are Germanic or Scandic.
    Flybear, you yourself told me about Myshkin, Tretiak however is ridiculous...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Flybear, you yourself told me about Myshkin, Tretiak however is ridiculous...
    Yes, at the time I told you-- based on everything I'd read, I believed that Myshkin was Jewish (it's mentioned numerous places).

However, Igor Kuperman (former Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes director of hockey information, assistant GM for the 2002 Russian Olympic team, an official with the Russian team at this year's Super Series) is pretty much the ultimate reliable authority.

Igor told me that Myshkin is not and I'll defer to him on it.

Actually, TonyTwist, we're talking about neither nationality or citizenship - this is not a thread about the greatest Israeli hockey player, or which players may have Jewish ancestors.

We are talking about who is the greatest hockey player who happens to be of Jewish religion.

I still say at the moment that the title belongs to Mathieu Schneider.

IHF Prospect

Israel

Alfred Kuchevsky, who won the gold medal in the 1956 Olympics and WC in 1954, is listed as the only famous Jewish Soviet hockey player in a book published in Russia recently.

Not sure where those numerous references to Myshkin, Moiseev, Davydov, Lyapkin, Zinger, etc. originated, but none of those players was/is Jewish.

There was also a player, Mikhail Shostak, who played for Dynamo Riga and Moscow in the late 70s, early 80s (even played a few games for the USSR national team and in a couple of junior world championships) who was rumored to be Jewish. Certainly a Jewish-sounding last name. My father claimed that he knew his uncle who happened to be a cantor in the Riga synagogue. Still don't know if my father was kidding or not.

IHF Member
    I have never been able to verify if Alfred Kuchevsky is Jewish. And like you, I followed leads on all the Soviet era players and found no evidence that any of them were Jewish — the only Russian that may be Jewish was Mikhail Kravets who played a bit for San Jose. Again, a Jewish sounding name is not proof of anything. I've also corresponded with Cooperman and talked with Sergei Matin, Ed Ravniaga and Boris Mindel when the Israel Jr Nats come through Ottawa and they say collectively that none of the elite Soviet players were Jewish.
    I did get a lead from a fellow researcher of a player by the name of FRIEDMAN that played in the 60s and may have been Jewish, but again, I have not found any info about him (perhaps I have the spelling wrong).
    I will try to follow leads on Kuchevsky and Shostak to see what I can find.
    Thanks for the post.

IHF Member
    One of Jewish hockey's most famous alumnus - Winnipeg's "Chick" Zamick - the Gordie Howe of British Hockey passed away recently. Zamick had a brilliant career in England. There are a few obits published about him on the internet. He even has one scarce hockey card - with the Nottingham team.
    Last edited by Ottawa national; 16-12-2007 at 06:33.

IHF Prospect
    Here is the link to the web page that has the name and the author of the book I mentioned: http://www.usfamily.net/web/joseph/v...sportsmeny.htm

It's in Russian, let me know if you need help with translation.

IHF Member
    In what must be a Jewish hockey first, 3 Jewish players will play in the 2008 ECHL All Star Game:

Representing the Fresno Falcon will be OREN EIZENMAN
    Representing the Utah Grizzlies will be TREVOR SMITH
    Representing the host Stockton Thunder will be JACOB MICFLIKIER

Dan Erlich
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Quote Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
    Dan Erlich
    Mathieu Schneider?
    We'll see how Erlich develops, he's still young.

IHF Member
    it's gotta be Cammalleri as a offensive player.
    Schneider has played a long time though.

another Jewish minor league pro that played for a long time was Larry Zeidel who got a few NHL years in and a ring with Detroit in the early 50s.

Scott Drevitch played forever in the minors and was a significant player everywhere he laced 'em up.

have you all lost your mind?!?!??! Evgeni Malkin is definitely between the top 3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yuval rosenthal View Post
    have you all lost your mind?!?!??! Evgeni Malkin is definitely between the top 3!!!
    is Malkin jewish?

yep ^^

yep ^^
    actually i know i childhood friend of his too...
    Last edited by Davide; 23-03-2009 at 17:44. Reason: inappropriate Tampa Bay logo

actually i know i childhood friend of his too...
    a*

sorry :-)
    Last edited by Davide; 23-03-2009 at 17:45. Reason: inappropriate Tampa Bay logo

Malkin is not Jewish as far as I know. If he is, he has never publicly said so.

im pretty sure he is... O_o

Proof? Has he ever publicly acknowledged being Jewish?

I don't believe that he is.

In fact, I've heard that he crosses himself before games, which obviously would mark him as Christian rather than Jewish.

My understanding is that the name Malkin is of Jewish origin, but that he himself isn't.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

I've heard he has a Jewish parent but he is not.

oh maybe that's why...
    KS HORSES:c205:

IHF Member

malkin

The Jewish Sports Review checked out Malkin. He is not Jewish

IHF Prospect

Malkin

There is absolutely no evidence that Malkin is Jewish. Both his parents have very Russian first names and patronymics, and the name "Malkin" is a Russian name . Just because some Russian Jews have had similar sounding names, doesn't mean that Malkin is Jewish.

IHF Prospect

Zinger very much "elite"

I could not leave this alone. Victor Zinger was undoubtedly the second best Soviet goalie ever (yes, much better and much more accomplished than Myshkin). How you leave him off the list of "elite Soviet players" is not easy to see

As far as I can determine, none of the elite Soviet players were Jewish.

IHF Staff
    Couldn't find a better thread than this one but as he was mentioned here, Daniel Erlich has signed for Red Bull Salzburg.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Couldn't find a better thread than this one but as he was mentioned here, Daniel Erlich has signed for Red Bull Salzburg.
    He said he was moving to Austria, red Bulls is a really strong club-nice

Cool news........but wrong thread. :)

Should be in the EBEL 2011-2012 thread, I think.

Victor Zinger apparently is not Jewish, and thus wouldn't qualify in this thread.

In 2011, I'd say the top three Israelis ever, are, in order, Oren Eizenman, Max Birbraer, and Evgeni Gussin.

We'll have to keep an eye on both Ethan Werek and Daniel Erlich to see if they ultimately alter the best-ever Israeli list.

As for overall Jewish players, I still give the nod to Mathieu Schneider with Mike Cammalleri a close second.....again, we'll have to see how Camalleri does in the next few years to see if he overtakes Schneider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information