Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice hockey in East Germany (ie GDR (DDR)) 1949-1990

Ice hockey in East Germany (ie GDR (DDR)) 1949-1990

I didn't find any thread about this, so out of personal interest I though I start one and hopefully people with more knowledge will fill in some interesting stories. Additionally, if any moderator got the correct flag to represent this thread, please change it.

I was always amazed by how GDR could be fairly competitive during their history despite the fact that only two teams competed in their 'Oberliga'. Infact, the Oberliga was the only state-sponsored ice hockey league whatsoever. The two teams, the 'Dynamic-duo', Dynamo Berlin and Dynamo Weißwasser played eachother year after year, and one would asume they got pretty tired of eachother aswell...*Which team will we meet tomorrow again?...aah, yes Dynamo, I forgot...* :101:

Anyway, recently I discovered that pre-1970 there were other cities with ice hockey in GDR. Erfurt, Dresden, Rostock, Crimmitschau and Karl-Marx-Stadt (now Chemnitz) all had artificial rinks and teams. 1970 the GDR communist leadership decided enough is enough and stopped financing any other teams than the 'Dynamic-duo'. Apparently they didn't think it was financially viable with the artificial rinks and the teams that got kicked out in the cold, so to speak, had to finance their own activities as best as they could.
    TSC Berlin, Empor Rostock, Turbine Erfurt, ASK Crimmitschau, Einheit Dresden and SC Karl-Marx-Stadt went into amateur-state and had to play on outdoor rinks with no artificial ice, but they arranged the DDR-Bestenermittlungen, which was the unofficial championship in GDR from 1970 and through to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

List of Oberliga winners
    1949 SG Frankenhausen
    1950 SG Frankenhausen
    1951 Ostgls. Weißwasser
    1952 Chem. Weißwasser
    1953 Chem. Weißwasser
    1954 DynamoWeißwasser
    1955 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1956 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1957 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1958 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1959 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1960 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1961 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1962 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1963 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1964 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1965 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1966 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1967 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1968 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1969 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1970 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1971 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1972 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1973 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1974 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1975 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1976 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1977 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1978 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1979 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1980 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1981 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1982 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1983 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1984 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1985 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1986 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1987 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1988 SC Dynamo Berlin
    1989 Dynamo Weißwasser
    1990 Dynamo Weißwasser

List of DDR-Bestenermittlungen winners
    1971 Einh. Crimmitschau
    1972 Einh. Crimmitschau
    1973 Motor Optima Erfurt
    1974 Einh. Crimmitschau
    1975 Monsator Berlin
    1976 Motor Bad Muskau
    1977 Monsator Berlin
    1978 Monsator Berlin
    1979 Monsator Berlin
    1980 Einh. Crimmitschau
    1981 Monsator Berlin
    1982 Monsator Berlin
    1983 Monsator Berlin
    1984 Monsator Berlin
    1985 Monsator Berlin
    1986 Monsator Berlin
    1987 Monsator Berlin
    1988 Einheit Weißwasser
    1989 Dyn. F. Lesch Berlin
    1990 Dyn. F. Lesch Berlin

The strong Berlin dominance during the 80's was stopped 1988 when Weißwasser's second team 'Einheit' got beefed up with players from the first team 'Dynamo'.

More info and cool historical pictures at this excellent site: http://www.lotok.de/ost-eishockey/index.htm

Get out of my head, Stefan! The strange thing for me, seeing this thread here, is that I myself was trying to find some old DDR hockey information for the past few days, why I don't know. Maybe that had something to do with my high school German classes, even in 2003 our books had the DDR.

Thanks man!
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Staff
    As far as I know Icehockey was scratched from the list of the massively funded sports due to the low chance of winning medals (and overall the low number of medals, namely only one) which was the primary goal of the administration. Furthermor the officials decided that icehockey is too expansive (most equipment had to be imported) and that further rinks were necessary to be competitive which was economically not feasible. Only the two Dynamo clubs survived as supported hockey centers to be able to run a national team. I think the reason for this was that Stasi (the inner sate intellegence service) leader Erich Mielke, an avid icehockey supporter, intervened and saved hockey under the umbrella of the Dynamo sports clubs which were controlled by the ministry of the interior. Actually in many communist countries the stately institutions had their own range of sports clubs under one name. For example in Czechoslovakia the Dukla clubs were affiliated to the army (same for Vorwärts in GDR) and I think also for Honved in Hungary).
    For all those who read German there is a Wikipedia article on that matter.

Hockey in GDR

Norrland (the northern province of Sweden)
    Are there any league tables from the GDR-championships to be found anywhere? :confused0

As for the GDR-icehockey, I'm old enough to remember that they had a rather good team in the mid-sixties where they actually did sometimes end up better in the final standings of the A-pool than Finland and USA.

I also remember that they won against Sweden, 4-1 in Ljubljana 1966. Sweden had 74 shots on goal but the incredible goalie Peter Kolbe saved all except one. GDR had two excellent goalies in te 60:s Klaus Hirche and Peter Kolbe (the black mask and the white mask as they often were referred to as) plus some good defensemen and forwards too, like Berndt Karrenbauer, Dietmar Peters, Helmut Novy, Dieter Kratsch, Rüdiger Noack, Bernt Hiller and Joachim Ziesche.

IHF Member
    "Anyway, recently I discovered that pre-1970 there were other cities with ice hockey in GDR. Erfurt, Dresden, Rostock, Crimmitschau and Karl-Marx-Stadt (now Chemnitz) all had artificial rinks and teams"

Yes !

Weisswasser:

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...weiss&arID=592

Dresden Rink: http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...esden&arID=812

Chemnitz: http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...hemni&arID=295

Erfurt: http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...rfurt&arID=945

Crimmitschau: http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...rimm&arID=1041

Now I search information and photos about old Rostock Rink !

There were even more teams before 1970 (Apolda, Schierke, Frankenhausen). However I don't know which of them had cooled ice rinks. Here are two links.

All championships of the GDR including tables from 1949 to 1970:

http://www.geocities.com/ht40699/Meister49-90ost1.txt

And 1971 to 1990:

http://www.geocities.com/ht40699/Meister49-90ost2c.txt

Unfortunately both in German. Okay, no issue for the tables, but there are also some comments.

There is also an ineresting documentary movie about Dynamo Berlin / Eisbären Berlin ("Heimspiel" = home game). This is also in German and it is not available any more.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/imag...301050&s=video

Is says on the cover: "Our life, our pride, our movie", "The ice hockey movie - not just for fans -", "Home game and you feel the east"

Bye, Silvio
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    - www.anne-emscher.net -

IHF Member
    Ah yes, Schierke I have picture:)

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...Search=schierk

Frankenhausen and Apolda I hove no informaion:(

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    Get out of my head, Stefan! The strange thing for me, seeing this thread here, is that I myself was trying to find some old DDR hockey information for the past few days, why I don't know. Maybe that had something to do with my high school German classes, even in 2003 our books had the DDR.

Thanks man!
    Glad I could help then. :)

I was born during the Cold War era and I'm used to the DDR and BRD since I was brought up with that fact. Actually, I'm still not quite adjusted to the united Germany, but I must stress that I'm nevertheless happy for the Germans that they got rid of the despised wall in a peaceful and relatively smooth way.

tux96, thanks for the links, been searching for those tables too! :023:

As tux96 says, there were hockey in other places than those I mentioned. Also hockey programs in Halle, Leipzig, Bad Muskau, Oberschöneweide and Schöneweide (last two Berlin suburbs?). When 're-organised' in 1970 there were 7 teams in the first division (Oberliga) and 16 in two groups in the second tier.

Dan, I had a link to a site with pics of the old Rostock rink, now I can't find it, when (if) I do, I'll let you know.

RexKramer, Interesting fact that it was Erich Mielke that saved the hockey, although a bit perplexing that they only allowed it to live on in two places. I think DDR had probably been a bigger player internationally if, lets say, at least the 8 best had been allowed to continue.

Yardbird, You're even older than me if you remember 1966, great. :smart: Joachim Ziesche, was he that 'eternal' player that was always in their NT? Still playing? :D In a more recent past I also remember Bielke, Hantschke, Radant, Gebauer etc.

No, Ziesche did stop playing in the early seventies as I remember. But he had a long career in the national team, he was playing there almost all of the 60:s.

They also had a defenceman named Dietmar Peters who did about 315 appearances for the national team. He played for the GDR in the Stockholm WC 1970 and 15 years later he was still a member of the national team, at least he was still playing for Dynamo Berlin. I remember seeing him in a game against Brynäs in Gävle in 1985.

In the national team he had a jersey with no. 1 which was unusual for a defenceman. (The goalies Hirsche and Kolbe had no. 17 and 16).

Great information everyone! Thanks for the links tux and Dan! Dan I've been to your site many times. It's fantastic!

Also thanks to Stefan for your post and info getting this started!
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

IHF Member
    Wonderful memories of a great player from the past, Joachim Ziesche. My all-time favourite GDR player. Definitely one of the best players in GDR hockey history.

Played centre and captained the East German national team. Played at the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble (no points, 6 pim in 7 gp) and also at 9 World Championships (8 times in Pool A and once in Pool B). Appeared in 200 games for the GDR national team. Wore jersey #9 for the nat'l team.

Ziesche worked as the assistant coach of GDR national team from 1978 to 1980 and was the head coach from 1981 to 1990. He also played 12 seasons with Dynamo Berlin (1958 to 1970). After retiring, coached Dynamo Berlin from 1970 to 1989. And in 1992-93 he coached SC Riessersee.

Yardbird, do you recall what other GDR defencemen wore #1 before Dietmar Peters?
    Do you remember the names Wilfried Sock and Dieter Voigt?

Sock originally wore jersey #1 at the 1968 Olympics while Dietmar wore #5.

And at the 1967 World Championship in Vienna, Voigt wore #1.

It may very well have been the GDR national team that began allowing non-goalies to wear jersey #1. Perhaps someone else may have better knowledge of this subject.

Team picture of DDR from the IHWC in Ljubljana, 1966 (the picture is historic in the sense that DDR won its only medal (a European Championship bronze) that year.

Above from Left: Wolfgang Plotka, Lothar Fuchs, Dieter Kratzsch, Erhard Braun, Joachim Ziesche, Rainer Tudyka, Joachim Franke, Dieter Voigt, Horst Schildan and Manfred Byder.
    Below from left: Peter Kolbe, Bernd Poindl, Erich Novy, Bernd Karrenbauer, Rüdiger Noack, Helmut Novy and Klaus Hirsche.

1956 11th Olympics
    1957 5th Pool A
    1958 DNP
    1959 9th Pool B
    1960 DNP Olympics
    1961 5th Pool A
    1962 DNP
    1963 6th Pool A
    1964 17th Pool B
    1965 5th Pool A
    1966 5th Pool A
    1967 7th Pool A
    1968 8th Olympics
    1969 7th Pool B
    1970 5th Pool A
    1971 9th Pool B
    1972 DNP Olympics
    1972 9th Pool B
    1973 7th Pool B
    1974 6th Pool A
    1975 7th Pool B
    1976 DNP Olympics
    1976 8th Pool A
    1977 9th Pool B
    1978 8th Pool A
    1979 10th Pool B
    1980 DNP Olympics
    1981 12th Pool B
    1982 9th Pool B
    1983 6th Pool A
    1984 DNP Olympics
    1985 8th Pool A
    1986 11th Pool B
    1987 13th Pool B
    1988 DNP Olympics
    1989 13th Pool B
    1990 13th Pool B

Does anyone know if any of the GDR players made the german team in 1991 or later?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Does anyone know if any of the GDR players made the german team in 1991 or later?
    Mirko Lüdemann (Weißwasser), a classy defensman did it in the U20 team. Don't know about seniors.

I think there must be others but I did not find the historic rosters.

Don't have the rosters either but during the last season (89-90) the 6-top scoring list looked like this:

1. Ralf Hantschke (Weißwasser) 11+11
    2. Hubert Hahn (Weißwasser) 10+5
    3. Harald Kuhnke (Berlin) 7+6
    4. Detlef Radant (Berlin) 6+6
    5. Jan Schertz (Berlin) 6+4
    6. Henry Domke (Weißwasser) 5+5

Sidenote: the closing stage of the championship lured 9,000 spectators to the 'semi-covered' ice stadium in Weißwasser.

1. SG Dynamo Weißwasser..12 9 0 3 54-41 18
    2. Berliner SC Dynamo.........12 3 0 9 41-54 6

Other players that were mentioned during the last B-pool of the World Champs (90) were goalie Rene Bielke and forward Frank Proske.

1. Switzerland....7 5 2 0 30-14 12 (promoted)
    2. Italy...............7 5 1 1 41-18 11
    3. Austria...........7 4 2 1 30-14 10
    4. France............7 4 1 2 19-20 9
    5. DDR...............7 2 2 3 22-19 6
    6. Poland............7 2 2 3 25-25 6
    7. Japan.............7 0 1 6 13-41 1
    8. Holland...........7 0 1 6 14-43 1 (relegated)

DDR games: vs SUI 2-2, vs France 2-3, vs Italy 3-6, vs Poland 1-1, vs Holland 6-3, vs Japan 6-1, vs Austria 2-3

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer
    Mirko Lüdemann (Weißwasser), a classy defensman did it in the U20 team. Don't know about seniors.

I think there must be others but I did not find the historic rosters.
    I am fairly certain Lüdemann eventually went on and played in the senior team as well. I couldn't find any record of a DDR junior team playing in IIHF tournaments, which is possibly one of the various reasons the senior team may have not been as successful as the Bundesrepublik, although there are many more obvious reasons, such as a two team top league and of course political and economical circumstances.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by svetovy pohar
    Wonderful memories of a great player from the past, Joachim Ziesche. My all-time favourite GDR player. Definitely one of the best players in GDR hockey history.

Played centre and captained the East German national team. Played at the 1968 Olympics in Grenoble (no points, 6 pim in 7 gp) and also at 9 World Championships (8 times in Pool A and once in Pool B). Appeared in 200 games for the GDR national team. Wore jersey #9 for the nat'l team.

Ziesche worked as the assistant coach of GDR national team from 1978 to 1980 and was the head coach from 1981 to 1990. He also played 12 seasons with Dynamo Berlin (1958 to 1970). After retiring, coached Dynamo Berlin from 1970 to 1989. And in 1992-93 he coached SC Riessersee.

Yardbird, do you recall what other GDR defencemen wore #1 before Dietmar Peters?
    Do you remember the names Wilfried Sock and Dieter Voigt?

Sock originally wore jersey #1 at the 1968 Olympics while Dietmar wore #5.

And at the 1967 World Championship in Vienna, Voigt wore #1.

It may very well have been the GDR national team that began allowing non-goalies to wear jersey #1. Perhaps someone else may have better knowledge of this subject.
    I remember both Sock and Voigt but I didn't remember that Sock had jersey no.1 in the 1968 Olympics, however I remember that both he and Peters were in the team (or at least I have the team rosters). I do remember that there were a player wearing no.1 in Vienna too, obviously Voigt and I do think that BRD (West Germany) had a no.1 defenceman too. I also have a picture in an old book from the game Sweden-BRD in Vienna where BRD goalie Günther Knauss wears a jersey with a "T" instead of a number.

So it's obvious that both German teams did have other players than goalies with no.1 but I don't know which of the teams that started that tradition.

As for the GDR goalies, in the Olympics 1968 Peter Kolbe was replaced by Dieter Pürschel (the red mask) who had no.16. In WC 1070 in Sweden Klaus Hirsche had no.17, Dieter Pürschel no.16 and Peter Kolbe (third goalie) no.21.

IHF Member
    Interesting information, thanks yardbird.

5 players from the last DDR nat'l team went on to play for the unified Team Germany at world championships and Olympics (Goalie Rene Bielke, defenceman Torsten Kienass, and forwards Jorg Handrick, Mario Naster and Jan Schertz).

Someone had asked about the final DDR national team roster from the B-WM in 1990 (Megeve, France).

Here's the player statistics from the last appearance of the DDR national team at 1990 B-Pool (5th place):

F -- Ralf Hantschke...............7 gp -- 3 + 4 = 7 pts -- 6 pim
    F -- Frank Proske...................6 gp -- 2 + 3 = 5 pts -- 2 pim
    D -- Dirk Perschau................5 gp -- 2 + 2 = 4 pts -- 0 pim
    F -- Harald Kuhnke...............7 gp -- 2 + 2 = 4 pts -- 10 pim
    F -- Jorg Handrick.................7 gp -- 2 + 1 = 3 pts -- 6 pim
    F -- Thomas Graul.................5 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 0 pim
    D -- Olaf Engelmann.............7 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 9 pim
    F -- Detlef Radant.................7 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 0 pim
    F -- Andreas Ludwig............7 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 2 pim
    F -- Hubert Hahn...................7 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 0 pim
    F -- Mario Naster...................6 gp -- 1 + 2 = 3 pts -- 4 pim
    F -- Jan Schertz......................7 gp -- 2 + 0 = 2 pts -- 2 pim
    D -- Tom Gobel......................7 gp -- 1 + 1 = 2 pts -- 6 pim
    F -- Andreas Gebauer...........4 gp -- 1 + 1 = 2 pts -- 0 pim
    D -- Gerd Vogel......................7 gp -- 1 + 0 = 1 pts -- 4 pim
    F -- Henry Domke..................4 gp -- 0 + 1 = 1 pts -- 6 pim
    D -- Thorsten Deutscher......5 gp -- 0 + 1 = 1 pts -- 10 pim
    G -- Rene Bielke......................7 gp -- 0 + 1 = 1 pts -- 2 pim
    D -- Frank Liebert...................5 gp -- 0 + 0 = 0 pts -- 0 pim
    D -- Torsten Kienass.............6 gp -- 0 + 0 = 0 pts -- 0 pim
    D -- Joachim Lempio..............6 gp -- 0 + 0 = 0 pts -- 2 pim
    G -- Thomas Bresagk.............0 gp -- 0 + 0 = 0 pts -- 0 pim

GK:
    Rene Bielke.............7 gp - 7 gd, 2.72 gaa, 90.4 sv%
    Thomas Bresagk....0 gp - 7 gd, 0.00 gaa, 00.0 sv%

Trainers: Hartmut Nickel, Rudiger Noack, Roland Herzig
    Team doctor: Dr. Langer
    Team masseur: Dewitz
    Team Leader: Ortmann

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    I am fairly certain Lüdemann eventually went on and played in the senior team as well.
    A little bit... 132 games, 13 goals including a very important one, which took the team to the Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002. It was the game winning goal against Italy just a few seconds before end of the game. Germany needed a win while Italy would haved been fine with a tie. Consequently the German fans chanted "Lüdemann ist schuld! Lüdemann ist schuld!" ("It's Lüdemann's fault! It's Lüdemann's fault!"). He is still playing in Cologne, one of the top teams in Germany, however he retired from the national team after Gregg Poss became coach. I don't think he will come back even though now Uwe Krupp is coaching.
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    - www.anne-emscher.net -

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yardbird

I also remember that they won against Sweden, 4-1 in Ljubljana 1966. Sweden had 74 shots on goal but the incredible goalie Peter Kolbe saved all except one. GDR had two excellent goalies in te 60:s Klaus Hirche and Peter Kolbe (the black mask and the white mask as they often were referred to as)

Yardbird or to anyone else on the IHF gang, do you happen to recall which Swedish goaltender (Leif Holmqvist or Ingemar Caris) was in net for that 4-1 DDR win over Sweden ?

Upon further research, I believe it was Holmqvist in net. According to information on Vastra Frolunda (Caris' team), Caris appeared in a total of 16 landskamper (internationals) during 1965-66, debuting 9/9/1965 in Berlin against DDR (4-1 SWE win). It indicated that Caris was the back-up for all 7 games at the 1966 WC but did not mention he saw any game action. So I guess that answers my original question and that Holmqvist played in all 7 games.

I have found the summary of that particular game but it does not list the name of the Swedish goaltender.

5 March 1966 -- Ljubljana
    SWE : DDR 1:4 (0:0, 0:2, 1:2)
    Referees: Starovoitov (CCCP), Seglin (CCCP)

1st Period:
    No scoring.

Penalties:
    DDR -- Plotka (2-minor) 2:00
    DDR -- Braun (2-minor) 15:07

2nd Period:
    0:1, DDR -- Kratzsch (unassisted) 25:43
    0:2, DDR -- Kratzsch (Braun) 32:27

Penalties:
    None.

3rd Period:
    1:2, SWE -- Sven "Tumba" Johansson (Svedberg) 52:38
    1:3, DDR -- Braun (Plotka) 54:12
    1:4, DDR -- Karrenbauer (unassisted) 55:20

Penalties:
    None.

Shots At Goal Totals:
    SWE -- 74 (22 + 25 + 27)
    DDR -- 27 (9 + 8 + 10)

Shots On Goal Totals:
    SWE -- 43 (13 + 16 + 14)
    DDR -- 14 (4 + 4 + 6)

Goalie Saves:
    SWE -- 10 (4 + 2 + 4) Goal: ??????
    DDR -- 42 (13 + 15 + 14) Goal: Kolbe

Penalty Minute Totals:
    SWE -- 0 PIM
    DDR -- 4 PIM (Plotka, Braun)
    Last edited by svetovy pohar; 02-12-2006 at 23:02.

Was Dietmar Peters a defenseman or foward or both? I see stats of him beong foward, and one being defenseman.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

Holmqvist was the Swedish goalie in the game against GDR in Ljubljana. I have some pictures in an old book which clearly shows Holmqvist in goal and I remember that he played that game too.

What I know, Holmqvist played all the seven games for Sweden while Caris was only back-up.

As for Dietmar Peters, I remember him only as a defenseman but I'm not 100% sure that he was a defenseman al the time. However, there was also a forward named Roland Peters in the GDR team in the 70:s. I do believe they were brothers.

IHF Member
    Thanks for the answer, yardbird. By any chance, does your book on the 1966 WC at Ljubljana list the goaltenders for the 12 March 1966 DDR - Finland game ?

This was also an important victory at this tournament for the DDR national team in helping them win the European championship bronze medal.

12 March 1966 -- Ljubljana
    DDR - FIN 4:3 (2:3, 1:0, 1:0)
    Referees: Wiking (SWE), Dahlberg (SWE)

1st Period:

0:1, FIN -- Jorma Peltonen (unassisted) 1:29
    0:2, FIN -- Mesikammen (Hakanen) 4:56
    1:2, DDR -- Noack (Erich Novy) 13:46
    1:3, FIN -- Kilpio (unassisted) 16:41
    2:3, DDR -- Franke (Erich Novy) 18:32

Penalties:

DDR -- Plotka (5-major) 6:41
    FIN -- Mesikammen (2-minor) 19:07 (ppg)

2nd Period:

3:3, DDR -- Erich Novy (Karrenbauer) 20:48 *power-play goal

Penalties:

FIN -- Rantasila (2-minor) 21:22
    DDR -- Voigt (2-minor) 31:12
    FIN -- Mesikammen (2-minor) 35:18

3rd Period:

4:3, DDR -- Karrenbauer (unassisted) 52:20 *power-play goal

Penalties:

FIN -- Reunamaki (2-minor) 48:23
    FIN -- Partinen (2-minor) 51:29 (ppg)

Shots At Goal Totals:
    DDR -- 50 (17 + 16 + 17)
    FIN -- 55 (26 + 12 + 17)

Shots On Goal Totals:
    DDR -- 28 (10 + 9 + 9)
    FIN -- 31 (15 + 5 + 11)

Goalie Saves:
    DDR -- 28 (12 + 5 + 11) Goal: Kolbe or Hirche ????
    FIN -- 24 (8 + 8 + 8) Goal: Lahtinen or Kaitala ????

Penalty Minute Totals:
    DDR -- 7 PIM (Plotka - 5, Voigt)
    FIN -- 10 PIM (Mesikammen - 4, Rantasila, Reunamaki, Partinen)
    Last edited by svetovy pohar; 03-12-2006 at 20:13.

According to the book "Årets Ishockey 1966" (which can be translated as Icehockey Yearbook 1966) published by Strömbergs Idrottsböcker, the goalies in the game GDR-Finland were Kolbe for GDR and Lahtinen for Finland.

I do think that information is the correct one but I'm not 100% sure because I've found some errors in those yearbooks when it comes to goalies.

IHF Member
    Thank you for your help, yardbird.

I hope this isn't too far removed from the topic of discussion.

May I ask a few questions regarding the Årets Ishockey Strömberg annual books and the Brunnhage Ishockey annual books ? Are these two books similar in coverage of hockey events ? Do they both cover the World Championship and Olympic tournaments in extensive detail, such as boxscores, statistics and game stories for each team ? How many years have they have been published ? I did see a copy of the Årets Ishockey Strömberg dated 1954, do they go back even further in time than 1954 ?

I have observed quite a few copies for sale of both annual books on the online auction sites but the prices are a bit on the expensive side considering they each contain approximately 330 to 400 pages of material. However I noticed each book is hard-covered prompting a higher value.

I apologize for the many questions but I have been interested in learning more about these annual books and was hoping some of the Swedish IHF members might be able to provide better knowledge and expert opinions on Årets Ishockey Strömberg and Brunnhage Ishockey annuals.

svetovy pohar,

I think the 1954 issue of 'Årets Ishockey' was the very first one indeed. (Edit: it actually says 1957 was the first one on the site..) the Strömbergs was the pioneers in regards to having a year-book about ice hockey. Brunnhages followed suit during the 1970's and up to somewhere in the 1980's when the both merged to become one.

I think both books offered aproximately the same coverage, but if my memory doesn't serve me wrong, I remember Brunnhages had more international hockey whilst Strömbergs concentrated more on the domestic side. Both, however, had good coverage of the Olympics and World Champs.

I'm in possesion of the issues 1988-1996, but I have fond memories of the old ones as these were our only way to know the final standings from the more 'unknown' leagues around the World. I think 1977 was the first one I saw, borrowed it at the local library, which was indeed the only way then as the books were really expensive.

Here's the official site: http://www.stromberg.se/

Sorry for ot, back to the thread: Does anyone have high resolution images of the Dynamo Berlin resp. Dynamo Weißwasser club logo's? Perhaps our chief collector Rowan? :)

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Sidenote: the closing stage of the championship lured 9,000 spectators to the 'semi-covered' ice stadium in Weißwasser.
    The last game in Weißwasser was visit by more than 12,000 spectators in the Wilhelm-Pieck-Eisstadion!

Many young and strong players from Weißwasser had to go to Berlin, the could vote between playing hockey for Dynamo Berlin or join the army!

In Weißwasser the fans said during the domination of Berlin: "Weißwasser ist Vizemeister, Berlin ist nur Vorletzter!" ('Weißwasser is vice champion, Berlin is only second to the last!')

IHF Member
    Hello Icecrack!

Here comes an old-national-team-photo-freak again;

Any photos of the 1957 DDR-national team?

All the best
    Jukka

(An edited PS: the very first national league games too!)

IHF Member
    I need information about the Ice Rink from Frankenhausen.

I know it was Locatet under Highway Bridge.

IHF Prospect
    Does anyone have any player statistics for Dynamo Weisswasser teams? Specifically from the '70s? The Eisbaren Berlin site does a terrific job of showing their history all the way to their Dynamo Berlin roots ... but finding stats on Weisswasser is much more difficult!

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Found some league leaders for East Berlin 1968/69 season In Finland Yearbook.

Hartmut Nickel 23+18=41
    Joachim Ziesche 25+14-39
    Helmut Novy 22+13=35
    Peter Prusa 22+11=33
    ? Domke 18+8=26
    Erhard Braun 18+6=24
    Wilfried Rohrbach 15+9=24
    Bernd Hiller 16+6=22
    Wolfgang Mucha 16+6=22
    Dietmar Peters 15+7=22

IHF Prospect
    So, usausa, you asked about Dietmar Peters, right? From what I can tell, he was a defenceman primarily, but sometimes played forward.

Hello ! Look at facebook.com/DDREishockey (and "like it" *g*) - it's a new fansite about the hockey history in the GDR

In the season 1999/2000 Dietmar Peters played in Halle in the 5th or 6th league ("Landesliga") and scored 26 points (6 goals, 20 assists) as defensman in 11 games.

I hope to get 1000 Likes ;-)

IHF Member
    in the meantime I could manage to find 90% of all official gamesheet's from the former GDR-National Championship, starting with the season 1950/51... (six binders full with gamesheet's...). Unfortunately I do not have scanned this....
    Cheers, Franco

Great !! PLEASE contact me ;-)

IHF Prospect
    There were even more teams before 1970 (Apolda, Schierke, Frankenhausen). However I don't know which of them had cooled ice rinks.

IHF Prospect
    There were even more teams before 1970 (Apolda, Schierke, Frankenhausen). However I don't know which of them had cooled ice rinks.

IHF Member
    In Schierke there was no artificial ice.

The Stadium still exist:

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...hierke&apcID=9

Frankenhasuen was playing under the Higwaybridge without artificial ice.

I search pictures from this Icerink.

From Apolda I have no informations :-(

Does anyone have the gamesheets or stats from the 78/79 and 79/80 seasons?
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

IHF Member
    Can anyone help me with this site ? It looks like it has newspapers from the DDR but I cannot understand German or figure out how to view papers.

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin...highlight=DELV

IHF Member
    https://my.xlogon.net/accounts/signup/
    You may log in for free with that link

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin...se/?no_cache=1
    This is the side about the 3 Newspapers of the GDR (not much about hockey after 1970)

http://zefys.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/en/
    Some info in English

If you have any problems, contact me

Golo

IHF Member
    Thank you.

Jeff

I can help too - i have a log-in ;-)

IHF Member
    Thank you Junky.

If I could just find someone that has Weißwasser stats for the 1970/71-1979/80 it would save me a lot of time and headaches.

Jeff, there is a lot of information on DDR championships here Or you interest on individual stats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information