Thread: China Sharks

China Sharks

Just read The Hockey News' fascinating behind the scenes look at the ill-fated partnership between the NHL's Sharks and the Chinese Federation. Not surprisingly, there was a lot of bureaucracy that derailed the potential for Chinese hockey.
    http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...e-shock-on-ice
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Just read The Hockey News' fascinating behind the scenes look at the ill-fated partnership between the NHL's Sharks and the Chinese Federation. Not surprisingly, there was a lot of bureaucracy that derailed the potential for Chinese hockey.
    http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...e-shock-on-ice
    Amazing stuff, yet very believable, sadly. I always wondered what had happened to Wang Zhiqiang. Such 'management' probably explains why I couldn't get tickets for a game I tried to attend in Beijing years later where nobody in the area knew it was on.

No wonder the women's team qualified for Vancouver 2010...
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Amazing stuff, yet very believable, sadly. I always wondered what had happened to Wang Zhiqiang. Such 'management' probably explains why I couldn't get tickets for a game I tried to attend in Beijing years later where nobody in the area knew it was on.

No wonder the women's team qualified for Vancouver 2010...
    Yeah, it's a shame when stuff like that happens. Lord knows they've got the potential, yet it all gets mucked up.

Yeah, it's a shame when stuff like that happens. Lord knows they've got the potential, yet it all gets mucked up.
    I don't think they actually have the potential. The population numbers might be high in Manchuria (let's be realistic here, most of the country has never seen ice, let alone a hockey stick), and sure the toupee-wearing guy in charge has claimed to be a hockey fan (yet this winter, PassionHockey was slapped on the prohibited list by the Great Firewall), but the youth numbers are up for a different reason. In Beijing, there are plenty of youth (American) football camps but the main reason parents sign their kids up is to expose them to English so they can more easily move abroad.

I don't think they actually have the potential. The population numbers might be high in Manchuria (let's be realistic here, most of the country has never seen ice, let alone a hockey stick), and sure the toupee-wearing guy in charge has claimed to be a hockey fan (yet this winter, PassionHockey was slapped on the prohibited list by the Great Firewall), but the youth numbers are up for a different reason. In Beijing, there are plenty of youth (American) football camps but the main reason parents sign their kids up is to expose them to English so they can more easily move abroad.
    Didn't know that, thanks. Speaking, do you think that Kunlun could last in the KHL based on what you've seen and know?

Didn't know that, thanks. Speaking, do you think that Kunlun could last in the KHL based on what you've seen and know?
    Much like China Dragon before them, their website isn't in Chinese. Not only that, but it's a Russian-registered site so that doesn't bode well for maintaining the team. At the home game against Barys last year, they had next-to-nothing regarding merchandise and scalpers sold tickets for as few as 40 yuan (less than 7 USD). The premium level seats didn't have any food or drink, which the guy I met assured me that the basketball team in Beijing did, with waitresses bringing your refreshments. During the one Barys powerplay, the road team section and the few Barys fans scattered elsewhere made more noise than the home fans did at any point of the game - despite some guy on the PA trying to ramp them up. Even the video board, which apparently was lit up with stats for the basketball games, didn't show anything other than the TV feed with intermissions replaying the same league promo over and over (Kunlun apparently never filmed one).

Their only sponsor last year, Vanke, is owned by Ying Rudi's father - hence why he was the only Chinese player on the roster all of last year. With Ying playing in the VHL - the livestreams of which are also blocked in China - I could see that sponsorship evaporating. Now, that together with the China Sharks topic and what those involved said about that program, are why I don't see the team going into the future. China very much has a culture of "who you know and who you blow" and if they are structuring their roster to win at the expense of playing the Chosen Son, literally, I don't see it lasting.

Hell, given how few of the Chinese players are getting ice time in the VHL, I think it's safe to say these programs, including the MHL and CWHL teams, will cease as soon as enough players are handed obligation-free passports.

Their only sponsor last year, Vanke, is owned by Ying Rudi's father - hence why he was the only Chinese player on the roster all of last year. With Ying playing in the VHL - the livestreams of which are also blocked in China - I could see that sponsorship evaporating. Now, that together with the China Sharks topic and what those involved said about that program, are why I don't see the team going into the future. China very much has a culture of "who you know and who you blow" and if they are structuring their roster to win at the expense of playing the Chosen Son, literally, I don't see it lasting.
    I recall reading somewhere that on the Chinese side of things, the KHL had to accept Rudi Ying's father as an owner or something similar. So yeah, it seems rather tumultuous and especially unsustainable in the nearest future.

Ah sorry, here is the excerpt in question from The Globe and Mail article:
    "The Kunlun Red Star hockey club was born of a deal struck between Chinese oil and gas investor Billy Ngok Yan-yu and Gennady Timchenko, the Russian energy-trading billionaire who chairs the board of the KHL in addition to owning its top team, SKA Saint Petersburg.

Yu wanted to do business with Timchenko, says Ying Da, a Chinese director and actor whose son Rudi plays for Red Star. The Russian oligarch said, "Fine. But I want you to set up a hockey club there in China."

Yu "at the time didn't know what hockey was. But he said, 'Yes, definitely,'" says Ying, who watches games from a VIP area with the team's top management.

Thread Information