Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Challenge Cup of Asia

IHF Prospect

Czech Republic 2013 Challenge Cup of Asia

Does anyone know which countries will be competing in the 2013 CCOA mens and womens?

IHF Member
    According to iihf.com, only men's senior and U20 tournaments will be organized this season. There is no women's CCOA due to olympic qualifications with Japan and China playing it next february. The men's will take place in Bangkok on 16-24 march however the list of participants is yet to be annonced. For the U20, no information is yet available.

IHF Member
    I've read reports that India, UAE and Hong Kong intend playing in the Senior Men's event. Thailand, the hosts will be there also.
    Hopefully there'll be plenty more ( maybe 10 in total ).

Geoff H
    Quote Originally Posted by Czech Mate View Post
    Does anyone know which countries will be competing in the 2013 CCOA mens and womens?

IHF Member
    This report from HK suggests 10 teams competing ( although 11 are listed as potential participants ).

http://www.hkahc.com/news/article/543/

Geoff H

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    This report from HK suggests 10 teams competing ( although 11 are listed as potential participants ).

http://www.hkahc.com/news/article/543/

Geoff H
    I like the idea of Kyrgyzstan and Singapore being proposed teams, it would be good for all eligible teams to participate.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I've not had any success finding out the entries and structure for this event.

Last year, with 7 teams, the preliminary round was split 4 and 3 with the strongest teams in the top group.

If there are 10 teams would it be split 5 and 5, or would there be more groups ?

Difficult to rank teams this year, especially if Kyrgyz enter and Hong Kong return. Taipei would probably end up in the second tier based on last year's very weak performance.

Anyone got any information.

Geoff

I'm amazed at the lack of updates and info on this tournament.. it's supposed to start in about a month and there are zero news anywhere...

I'm aware it's not the most important event in ice-hockey, especially for us living far, but still, some poeple might be actually interested...

I'm with Geoff on this : Anyone got any informations ?
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

IHF Prospect
    I'm with you guys about wanting more information. Is there anyone at the IIHF HQ's that we can try to contact and/or let them know that we are really interested in wanting more information about this tournament. On a side note did you guys see that Uzbekistan is restarting up their national ice hockey team? Looks like there is potential for another country to start playing in the CCOA in the near future. More countries playing can't hurt it can only make it help.

Quote Originally Posted by Czech Mate View Post
    I'm with you guys about wanting more information. Is there anyone at the IIHF HQ's that we can try to contact and/or let them know that we are really interested in wanting more information about this tournament. On a side note did you guys see that Uzbekistan is restarting up their national ice hockey team? Looks like there is potential for another country to start playing in the CCOA in the near future. More countries playing can't hurt it can only make it help.
    Before we get ahead of ourselves, Uzbekistan needs to be a member of the IIHF. We thought the same thing about Turkmenistan and there hasn't been much since that news came out.

IHF Member
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Te...landIceHockey/

Another possible source of information about the forthcoming tournament in Bangkok.

IHF Member
    Groupings and match schedule now available ;

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....p_of_asia.html

Seedings are based purely on last year's placings so Hong Kong and Mongolia , who didn't play last year , are in Group B.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Great to see so many teams again at the competition.
    But sadly there are no new teams. Possible new teams are Kyrgyzstan and Qatar, they are also members of IIHF.

IHF Member

Qalification tournament canceled

Quote Originally Posted by maits View Post
    But sadly there are no new teams. Possible new teams are Kyrgyzstan and Qatar, they are also members of IIHF.

I got this from the Federation of Kyrgyzstan.

No, unfortunately, we we couldn't afford financially to play Qualification
    Round in Kuwait. There should be only 10 teams, but 11 teams applied for
    CCOA in Thailand. That's why IIHF decided to play Qualification Tournament
    between Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Taipei in Kuwait. The team which
    will lose all games will not participate in CCOA in Thailand.
    Kyrgyzstan couldnt afford to go to Kuwait. And the Qualification
    Tournament was cancelled.

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    Would have been good to see one or two new teams but there aren't many candidates.

The suspicion is that Kyrgyzstan might struggle with meeting IIHF player eligibility regulations. They played in the AWG in 2011 under the much more liberal Olympic regulations but have never played in an IIHF event.
    Qatar are an enigma as they are IIHF Associate Members but have not played in either of the GCC events. Saudi Arabia, Oman and Bahrain are not IIHF members but have played in the GCC. Very strange.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by maits View Post

IHF Member
    Great information, well done Rowan. I can't make out how they came up with that selection of countries for the Qualification Round.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    I got this from the Federation of Kyrgyzstan.

No, unfortunately, we we couldn't afford financially to play Qualification
    Round in Kuwait. There should be only 10 teams, but 11 teams applied for
    CCOA in Thailand. That's why IIHF decided to play Qualification Tournament
    between Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Taipei in Kuwait. The team which
    will lose all games will not participate in CCOA in Thailand.
    Kyrgyzstan couldnt afford to go to Kuwait. And the Qualification
    Tournament was cancelled.

Greetings,
    Rowan

I am teh disapointment :(

Is it too crazy to think they made this qualification round in Kuweit, to see who would do the trip or not ? :P
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

Makes sense for Kuwait to host since they have a standard ice rink that can host such a tournament where other nations might. Its a shame to see the Kyrgyz are not be able to compete at a tournament this year. Mongolia didn't play in the CCoA for a few years and wasn't Taipei last in '12? Still, Singapore hasn't played since the first CCoA but maybe they were placed in the tournament proper because of location?

IHF Member
    IIHF webpage now set up.

http://www.iihf.com/channels1213/ccoa/schedule.html

The news about Kyrgyz not getting the chance to compete is frustrating especially as the event won't be held in 2014. Perhaps they will go for the IHWC Division IIIQ in 2014.

Seems odd that UAE and Mongolia who compete in the IHWC get to play in the CCoA when Kyrgyz doesn't. How are new national teams meant to get into IIHF organised competition ?

Geoff

IHF Member
    I think the IIHF need to set up some sort of relegation system between the IHWC Division III tournament and regional tournaments, such as the CCOA. Also hopefully we see a Challenge Cup for Europe soon.

IHF Member
    I don't think automatic promotion from the CCoA would work at the moment but I do think Kyrgyz should have had a place in Bangkok rather than UAE ( who will be playing in the IHWC Division III ). With the IIHF having staged a very successful Division IIIQ this season I'm hoping that this will be expanded in 2014 and become Division IIIB. There are spaces available, as Georgia showed this year, but most national teams need to play at a lower regional level beforehand. A Challenge Cup of Europe would be great. Certainly Georgia and Bosnia could play and maybe Macedonia ( it might help Ireland and Greece if they played as well, using development squads ). Perhaps the West and Central Asian countries should have their own combined event separate from the CCoA. This could provide opportunities for Kyrgyz and maybe Qatar and longer term the other Gulf and Central Asian countries.

Hopeful as ever.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    I think the IIHF need to set up some sort of relegation system between the IHWC Division III tournament and regional tournaments, such as the CCOA. Also hopefully we see a Challenge Cup for Europe soon.

IHF Member
    Nice video report on Malaysia preparations. They have a favourable draw but will probably need to beat Kuwait to make last 4. Unlikely to make top 3.

http://switchup.tv/View.aspx?vid=983...88381481237582

Only 10 days to go !!!!

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Only a couple days until the tournament, I could only find one roster so far, Hong Kong. http://thehockeyhouse.net/2012-world...f-asia-roster/. Looking forward to more getting named.

IHF Member
    IIHF website all set up and ready to go !!

http://www.iihf.com/channels1213/ccoa/statistics.html

Looks as though all 10 national teams are still expected.

Don't like the specifics of the way the 2 tier format has been used. Can understand why Hong Kong and Mongolia who didn't play last time are in the lower tier but when it comes to the quarter finals the bottom teams from the higher tier ( probably Malaysia and Kuwait ) will play each other for a place in the last four. No games directly between the bottom of Group A and the top of Group B. How will the final rankings be decided and the seedings for 2015 ?

Geoff

nice... no central asia = not as much fun, for me at least...

Does anyone know if there will be some footage, or better, full game recap somewhere ? :P

IHF Member
    Hoping for lots of close games, here's my best guess at the outcome of the group stages ;

Group A

Thailand
    Chinese Taipei
    UAE
    Malaysia
    Kuwait

Group B

Hong Kong
    Mongolia
    Singapore
    Macau
    India

Good luck to all teams.

Geoff H

IHF Member
    With Mongolia taking the team that played in the WC qualifiers, im expecting them to win Group B. UAE will be strong in Group A, Taipai depends which version turns up. Im interested to see how Thailand and Malaysia get on, if there has been any development there.

India showed well at the last CCA, again be interesting to see how they match up against Group B.

Good luck to all teams and lets remember this competition is about developing the game in Asia, lets hope this tournament continues the good work already carried out.

IHF Prospect
    Anyone know any sites that will stream the games?

IHF Member
    HIGHLY doubtful this will be streamed ..

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    HIGHLY doubtful this will be streamed ..
    You're probably right, but I've seen a Saudi Arabia game online, so who knows.

Anyone know what's up with the Kuwait-Thailand game. IIHF.com has been saying 10-0 Thailand in the 3rd for hours now.

So... Mongolia iwth their roster is definitely a Group A team IMO. All games I think went as expected today.
    Will be interesting to see how it all shapes up though.

IHF Member
    Big wins for UAE and Thailand who both confirm they are contenders for the overall win. I'll be interested to see if Hong Kong and Taipei ( both former winners ) are as impressive on day 2, which would give us four title contenders.

Congratulations to Macau who got their fourth ever win in international competition, the first three were all against India. Nice to see Singapore back after a three year absence. Macau's 'reward' may well be a QF against the winners of Group A !!

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 17-03-2013 at 10:48.

IHF Member
    It did finish 10-0, all the player stats and standings have been updated on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Anyone know what's up with the Kuwait-Thailand game. IIHF.com has been saying 10-0 Thailand in the 3rd for hours now.

It's an interesting tournament

if anybody has articles, videos and streams about it, don't hesitate to share

IHF Member
    Big day 2 wins for Hong Kong and Taipei who could contend right to the end

Taipei lost 12-2 to Kuwait last year. Their real team turned up this year.

TPE v UAE tomorrow will give a good indication of who might win overall. Winner of Group A gets an easy passage through to the final.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 17-03-2013 at 18:53.

IHF Member
    Important 2-1 OT victory for TPE over UAE in the most significant match so far in the Group games. Next big game is THA v TPE on Wednesday.

Geoff

I'm rooting for Kuwait! Although they are 0-2... The scores aren't reflecting the true talent of the team. Al saffar the starting goalie is playing HORENDOUS. The back up goalie has seen some time and is not doing any better. They both have around 75% save pct. Al Sarraf has a 13.00 GAA. Kuwait has no chance to win with such terrible goaltending. They get so far behind so early that they just give up. Anybody know a good goaltending coach? haha. Hopefully they can beat Malaysia. I'm not getting my hopes up for them to beat the UAE. UAE is playing pretty well this tournament.

Not sure if this was already shared
    http://iihf.com/channels1213/ccoa

Kuwait games streamed on abu dhabi tv. adtv.ae.

Site is completely in arabic. Game is streamed live. I haven't gotten to watch one yet, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I also imagine UAE would be streamed if it is on Abu Dhabi Tv. I imagine the kuwait games are only shown in Kuwait.

I'm looking around and not finding the livestream. Perhaps the players meant abu dhabi tv in kuwait. My arabic is not great so maybe I'm missing something. I'll ask again.

IHF Member
    Plenty of time for them to improve. Kuwait will play in the QF even if they lose all their group matches. They will probably play Malaysia. If they win, their chances of making the Final or finishing 3rd are close to zero, the way they are playing.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by eelliott View Post
    I'm rooting for Kuwait! Although they are 0-2... The scores aren't reflecting the true talent of the team. Al saffar the starting goalie is playing HORENDOUS. The back up goalie has seen some time and is not doing any better. They both have around 75% save pct. Al Sarraf has a 13.00 GAA. Kuwait has no chance to win with such terrible goaltending. They get so far behind so early that they just give up. Anybody know a good goaltending coach? haha. Hopefully they can beat Malaysia. I'm not getting my hopes up for them to beat the UAE. UAE is playing pretty well this tournament.

Not sure if this was already shared
    http://iihf.com/channels1213/ccoa

IHF Member

Surprisingly easy 7-2 win for TPE ( who thus win Group A ) over THA ( who had major defensive problems, with their No 1 goalie conceding 7 goals on 17 SoG ).

Line up for the knock-out stages is now pretty well decided ;

TPE v MAC
    KUW v MAS

The winners meeting in the SF

MGL or HKG v THA or UAE
    MGL or HKG v THA or UAE

A much more competitive half of the draw.

Geoff

IHF Member

QFs next and UAE v HKG looks to be the key match. I think HKG are slight favourites.

TPE have an easy passage through to the Final as their reward for winning Group A.

Good event so far which has hopefully helped develop the national team programs in all countries competing.

Geoff

IHF Member

Biggest surprise of the event so far as Mongolia eliminate hosts Thailand, 5-4.

SFs tomorrow, TPE v KUW and HKG v MGL.

With so many games in quick succession fatigue could be a big factor in deciding who wins overall.

Geoff

I, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, would love to see some of these nations get some more funding take part in the World Championship program in 2014.

I've been wondering, how are the eligibility rules for this tournament for dual nationals, same as for other IIHF international tournaments?

of the teams participating in this year's CCoA, Mongolia and UAE take part in the World Championship program, and Taipei could if they wanted to. I'm not sure anyone else has the numbers, rink, league and financial ability to do so.

To be honest, i'm not that surprised to see Mongolia win their game. I figured on HKG, TPE and KUW, but that game was a total crapshoot, but I did for some reason expect the upset to be Mongolia or nobody.

IHF Member
    Same eligibility rules as for the IHWC.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    I've been wondering, how are the eligibility rules for this tournament for dual nationals, same as for other IIHF international tournaments?

Mongolia made a game of it, three third-period goals, but Hong Kong gutted it out. By the shot count it was a lot closer than some other games Mongolia has played in. I expect Taipei to lay a beatdown on Kuweit, and Mongolia to finish with the bronze.
    That's something when you consider that the United Arab Emirates, who beat Mongolia in DivIII qualification earlier this year, will finish sixth in the final ranking after their QF loss.

Very interesting tournament so far. Surprised to see India is still so far behind everyone, especially since their guys are used to playing in high altitude, thin air conditions.

IHF Member
    From my point of view, thanks to experiences from other tournaments where match time is 3x20 mins, with 5+1 players and each day games (Asian Winter Games, Chinese Winter Games, World Championships) played TPE, HKG and MGL on the top. KUW had huge good luck to met poor MAS. UAE had bad luck but I think, there must play more younger players. THA - they felt winner before game against MGL. It is very danger everytime.
    And keep in mind, that for HKG play in each tournament the players who have time and money to play for national team. Maybe there are better players there, who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information