Thread: Israel First League 2012-2013

Israel First League 2012-2013

Use this thread for rosters, scores and statistics.

Discussion about this league can go here or in the Israeli hockey news 2012-2013 thread.

Teams:

BAT YAM (ICEBERGS)

HAIFA (HAWKS)

KFAR SABA

MAALOT (MONFORT)

MACCABI METULA

HC METULA

RISHON (ICE DEVILS)
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 10-12-2012 at 02:19.

IHF Member
    Any Results for Fridays games???

Any chance to have teams' rosters?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Any chance to have teams' rosters?
    If the Israel Hockey site will get updated, you'll have rosters. I can speak with Viktor and anyone else that knows him try to as well.

IHF Member
    Last Friday's games:

Rishon Devils 1 - Haifa Hawks 0

IHF Member
    games this week appear to be cancelled

Hopefully each team will play its full 12 game season now that quiet has returned to Israel.

No games have taken place since the first game mentioned above.

I have not seen rosters yet, so I am unaware of player movement this season to and from the various clubs.

Assuming that no major transfers have taken place, then I would predict the standings as follows:

Maccabi Metula
    Bat Yam
    Maalot
    Rishon
    Haifa
    HC Metula
    Kfar Saba

Anybody else have predictions?

IHF Member
    We'll see after the December final roster deadline. Although I like that prediction, with 1-2 possibly switching and Haifa and HC Metula switching 5-6.

IHF Member
    Only game tonight, Bat-Yam vs Haifa Hawks. Game starts in 90 minutes. Still working on rosters

IHF Member
    Haifa 3, Bat Yam 1
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 01-12-2012 at 05:27.

And our very own Hckeyguy25 scored the lone Bat Yam goal.

Was Amromin in net for Haifa? And how on Earth did you guys lose to them.....their average age has got to be mid forties by now.....

IHF Member
    We just weren't ready for the game. Pretty lame excuse

Bat Yam 4, HC Metula 1

IHF Member
    Looks like it will be a 6 game season, which is freakin terrible. The middle teams will play games in The holon rink i.e Bat Yam, Rishon, and Kfar Saba.

Really? A six game season?

I'm sorry, but that is a giant step backwards, and is a terrible failure on the part of the Ice Hockey Federation of Israel.

There was so much promise after the old, long entrenched leadership was replaced......and good things did happen. Players who had been blacklisted returned to the national team. Jean Perron came back as coach of the men's nats. New clubs were admitted to the national championship league. The number of games played by each team expanded. It became easier to find rosters and statistics (the information for which is now mandated by the IIHF to be available on the federation's website, by the way).

Now this? What a disgrace. It is a major disservice to all of the guys who work hard in Israel to keep the sport alive and to attempt to grow it, as well as play it.

I thought Gussin was now in control of the federation? Apparently not.

I have no idea who Shklar and Ihilov are, but they are the names listed on the federation website as seemingly being in control. Perhaps it is time for them to resign as well.

The federation's board owes the Israeli hockey community both an explanation for this, as well as a concrete plan for how they plan to fix it.

A six game season cannot possibly prepare the men's nats or the U18's for IIHF competition. Likewise, such a short season will weaken the sport in Israel. It will stifle skills and player development, but even more importantly will cause enthusiasm for the sport to weaken.

IHF Member
    The concentration of the federation right now is the youth system. With the under 16 year old division and under 13 year old division, plus a second league which will offer younger players a chance to even play more games, that's the focus. I don't know the exact total for all the leagues, but every league but the top division is playing over 10 games.

The new rink in Holon is a big factor in that. Here's my question, why can't the teams from the north come down to play the teams in the center in Holon? That seems to be the problem with the top division, I believe.

Also, starting the league in end of November was a bit of a problem with the amount of games, I believe partially to blame was the uncertainty of the holon rink opening up. I know that the chahmpionship is scheduled for April 5. and Passover Break takes two fridays out of the picture in March. Also, world championships and preperation for it will take April 15-30.

I know for next season, with Holon rink already in place, and don't froget bat yam rink coming soon within 2 years, the league should start earlier and have more games

In that context, it's a tiny bit more acceptable. The emphasis must be on grassroots, youth development.....in both skill development and game experience......for Israeli hockey to survive and eventually grow.

However, while youth development is the number one concern, as it should be, the federation should not ignore the current group of men who comprise the Israeli (top) league. Even 12 games per club is not really enough for a true top league, but it would have been acceptable. The top league also ultimately needs to be strong if the sport is to survive and grow in Israel.

6 games per team is simply not enough, and doesn't meet the IIHF requirements of 15 games per team (which you could get to with a 12 game season plus playoffs, and/or a small, single knock-out format tournament or cup of some kind).

Some scores:

Maccabi Metulla 4, Bat Yam 1

Maalot 8, HC Metulla 1

Kfar Saba 5, Haifa 2

I really wish I had rosters.......but the Israeli federation site has not yet implemented the new IIHF requirement that each member federation's website keep current rosters, standings and statistics for each league. Plus, Ben (TheSwoosh101) hasn't posted here in quite some time, and the Haifa Hawks' website is a mess, so I can't really comment on the results in any detail.

I can say that Kfar Saba won comfortably against Haifa in its first ever game, so I'd love to know who the club's key players are.

I also wonder what HC Metulla's roster looks like this season, as they have gotten pounded in both of their games so far.

I'll post standings after every team has played at least two games.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Some scores:

Maccabi Metulla 4, Bat Yam 1

Maalot 8, HC Metulla 1

Kfar Saba 5, Haifa 2

I really wish I had rosters.......but the Israeli federation site has not yet implemented the new IIHF requirement that each member federation's website keep current rosters, standings and statistics for each league. Plus, Ben (TheSwoosh101) hasn't posted here in quite some time, and the Haifa Hawks' website is a mess, so I can't really comment on the results in any detail.

I can say that Kfar Saba won comfortably against Haifa in its first ever game, so I'd love to know who the club's key players are.

I also wonder what HC Metulla's roster looks like this season, as they have gotten pounded in both of their games so far.

I'll post standings after every team has played at least two games.

Contact with Viktor for the rosters hasn't been successful. I'll keep trying, if you go to the main federation site, at has out of date rosters. But for the most part, the rosters are pretty much the same.

Haifa is a really physical team, and likes to keep games very defensive and not a lot of scoring. Kfar Saba's forwards are fast, defense is shaky, and goalie is average. But they had their way with Haifa. Kfar Saba could make the top 4...6th and 7th place teams will be Haifa and HC Metula. HC metula and Maccabi Metula merged their players. Maccabi Metula is the stronger team and HC Metula the weaker ones.

Bat-Yam could be in trouble, needing at least 2/3 wins. And they play Maalot (tough game) and Rishon (lost 5-2 last year). Kfar Saba could be a test, but i look at the two goalies of the team and that will be the difference.

Kfar Saba 12, HC Metula 1

Maalot 6, Kfar Saba 2

Obviously the combining of HC Metula (a traditional Israeli club dating back to the dawn of Israeli hockey) with Maccabi Metula (a club that arose in, I believe, 2007 or 2008, with the creation of the Canada-Israel Hockey School), and giving Maccabi all of the top players from both clubs, has decimated HC Metula.

Kfar Saba has been pretty decent so far. Again, would love to know who is playing for them.

Haven't been able to find Rishon's scores yet, but I believe they have played a couple of times already.

IHF Member
    Kfar Saba 12, HC Metula 1

Maalot 6, Kfar Saba 2

Obviously the combining of HC Metula (a traditional Israeli club dating back to the dawn of Israeli hockey) with Maccabi Metula (a club that arose in, I believe, 2007 or 2008, with the creation of the Canada-Israel Hockey School), and giving Maccabi all of the top players from both clubs, has decimated HC Metula.

Kfar Saba has been pretty decent so far. Again, would love to know who is playing for them.

Haven't been able to find Rishon's scores yet, but I believe they have played a couple of times already.

Rishon beat Haifa 1-0. Lost to Maccabi metula in SO. 1-1 in regulation.

Kfar Saba roster is on the israhockey.co.il site. Only team with a full correct roser. Young team, lots of roller hockey players.

Big games will be at the rink in Holon. Ma'aalot and Maccabi Metula on their way to final 4.

IHF Member
    http://israhockey.co.il/index.php?op...mid=74&lang=en

Updated Standings.

Going to be interesting, especially cause only 6 game season.

Josh, thanks for the standings table. We are missing scores for a bunch of games. Can you help us out here?

IHF Member
    8-0 Maccabi Metula over HC Metula
    6-3 Rishon Devils over Ma'aalot

You can see updated standings and all scores here (left side of page):

http://www.hawkshaifa.com/he/ice-standing/

Josh, any playoff format?

IHF Member
    As of now, playoffs are suppose to start February 15. But we still need to get in 2 more games (which shouldn't take too much time, but it's Israel). Once we get the schedule for that, we will know playoffs

IHF Member
    Assuming there is a playoff, and I haven't been told otherwise, Maalot, Maccabi Metula, Rishon are in. Haifa and HC Metula are out. No relegation as far as I know, and makes sense since it was only a 6 game season, but look for league to be 8 teams next season and starting earlier since rink in Holon is in place now. My prediction is that the season wont continue until after world u-18 championships. Look for a game on February 15

IHF Member
    No news on schedule or playoffs

Kfar Saba beat Bat Yam 7-4. Bat Yam was missing several players, including Evgeni Gussin.

With this loss, I believe Bat Yam (shockingly) misses the playoffs.

IHF Member
    Last game of the short 6 game season. Wednesday, Bat-Yam vs Rishon Devils. Playoffs scheduled to begin this Friday

IHF Member
    Playoffs have begun. Here are scores from round robin playoff:
    Rishon 3 - Maalot 2
    Maalot 2- Maccabi Metula 1
    Rishon 6 - Kfar Saba 1
    Kfar Saba 2 - Maccabi Metula 2 (game ended in tie, Maccabi Metula won in OT)

Standings:
    1. Rishon 13 Points
    2. Maalot 9 points
    3. Maccbi Metula 7 Points
    4 Kfar Saba 1 Point

Last Round of games, played April 5:
    Maccabi Metula vs Rishon
    Maalot vs Kfar Saba

It looks like Rishon vs Maalot in the final, April 12

Here's a 6 minute clip of the Maalot vs. Maccabi Metula game from 3-22-13' which ends with a Maalot goal.

It's a good clip that gives a really good look at the pace of the Israeli League.

It's slow in spots, surprisingly quick in others, with some fair skill on offense. It's 'run and gun' hockey.....the defense is, shall we say.....lacking.

Anyway, it's well worth watching the whole (nearly) 6 minutes if you are curious about the pace of the Israeli League.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNr2XLVo-s

IHF Member
    This looks like u-16???

Looks like a mix of adults and teenagers from what I can see, which is consistent with the Israeli League (as you of all people know, LOL).

The video wasn't presented on youtube as a video showing youth hockey.

If it is the youth league as opposed to the main (senior) league, then that is VERY good news for the future of Israeli hockey, because it would mean that the youth league is rapidly - and drastically - improving. I've seen past clips from prior seasons of the youth league, and feared for the future of Israeli hockey. This clip truly shows that the efforts of the federation, and the Canada-Israel Hockey School, are finally starting to pay off.

IHF Member
    I didn't see any of the guys from the main rosters: Schwartzman, Knitter, Sorotzky. I believe it's U-16

Ya, the hockey is coming along

IHF Member
    Final Results of the 2012-2013 season:

Kfar Saba beat Maccabi Metula due to technical loss by Maccabi Metula.

Rishon beats Maalot 4-1 to win the league. 1st championship for Rishon, only 2nd full
    year in the league.

1. Rishon Devils
    2. Maalot
    3. Kfar Saba
    4. Maccabi Metula

IHF Member
    I thought Gussin was now in control of the federation? Apparently not.

I have no idea who Shklar and Ihilov are, but they are the names listed on the federation website as seemingly being in control. Perhaps it is time for them to resign as well.
    I have no idea who Sklar is, but Ihilov was general secretary under Matin as well. He is a Matin guy, and if he's still there it means Matin is still there...

Here is video of most of the championship game where Rishon beat Maalot 4-1.

Camera work isn't great......there are large stretches where the camera is behind the play and you see empty ice, or guys waiting for the play to develop near them. However, there are plenty of opportunities to see parts of the game.

Enjoy!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5pjHePdjPU

IHF Member
    First league information for 2013-2014 season will hopefully be known this week, schedule being finalized today I've been told

Thread Information