Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 IIHF World Championship in Finland/Sweden - news/discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    I guess its a "nice" tournament, but you cant put too much stock in it. Since so many/the best players are missing from most countries . Everybody knows that Canada/USA dont take this tourney seriously.
    And? it´s no reason not to be excited....being excited doesn´t mean that I´m putting too much stock into it....even though I think that some people are putting too little stock into it- for example the recent results of team Slovakia in this tourney are much more reflective of the state of hockey in this country than the 2010 OGs were...obviously OGs are the best international hockey tourney there is when it comes to level of play, but there´s gotta be something for us international hockey junkies asides from the OGs as well..

I see no reason why it should bother us that most Canadians/American (I´d think that this forums is proof enough that some Canadians/Americans do actually care about the tourney) don´t care about it?...just looking at the Canadian line-up shaping up, the offense is pretty incredible and looks to be better than the one on the teams in SC POs have (still that doesn´t mean that I won´t be excited for and won´t watch the SC play-offs just because of that either). The No. 1 reason for disappointing results for the USA in the tourney is tied more to the lack of depth than "not caring". Also I would say that the Canadian federation at least does take the tourney seriously- for building the team for Sochi 2014.

Also, there´s the other factor of the tourney´s history and tradition. In Slovakia the tourney has basically become a part of our culture and I think most of us can´t imagine spring without the IHWC (well, okay if are gonna continue to suck as we did in recent years, chances are that the popularity among non-hockey fans is gonna drop). During those few weeks in April/May pretty much everyone here becomes a hockey fan. For me the IHWC was the first contact with hockey and it will always have a special place in my heart. (even though it doesn´t prevent me from enjoying all other kinds of hockey too)
    Slovak hockey... just won´t die :D :D :D
    The spirit of Petersburg 2000 lived in Helsinki 2012...found in the last possible moment in Helsinki 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    the top 7
    no such thing :)
    there is the top 6 and then a few teams that can play as the 7th and 8th in the quaterfinals :)
    Per aspera ad Astra. [42]

Its confirmed that Lindy Ruff has declined the invite to be the head coach for Canada. Hockey Canada now going to plan "B" for a new coach. Also, although I did not see anything on the thread, Stamkos has also officially declined due to a bad shoulder. Last, regarding some comments that Canada / USA don't take this tourney seriously, for sure, Hockey Canada is. Reason? Canada currently ranks 4th in IIHF rankings and Hockey Canada wants badly to improve the rank as after WC, new rankings will be used to seed teams for Sochi 2014. Hence, the push for a stronger team this year.

IHF Member
    Regardless of what Hockey Canada or the casual fan in NA thinks, as a hockey fan this is a great tournament. The WCH is generally the first chance to see the new upcoming stars in mens International play and to me that is a huge part of the appeal. I'm bored with the best-on-best argument. Who medals is determined by what team plays the best - regardless of what they have done elsewhere. Stamkos, Giroux, Eberle, RNH, Kane, Benn, Tavaras, etc. -- none of these guys have every represented Canada at the Olympics and some of them never will. Chances are we'll find out of they can adapt to the pressure and strategy at the International at the WCH. (same argument for other nations).

IHF Member
    Kaberle and Pavelec wouldn't play for Czech republic.

IHF Member
    I take it seriously.the only iihf event I don't take seriously is the U18s

Ex-NY Islanders coach Scott Gordon will coach the USA nats for the 3rd straight year.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=14c6c0a8ae

Here are the first 17 players named by the USA:

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/...-041012_ED.pdf

A few good names (Paul Stastny, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, Kyle Okposo), but on the whole, mostly NHL fourth liners.

We do have Ryan Lasch of the Pelicans from SM-Liiga.....I love the Pelicans, so that's pretty cool.

They will need to add quite a number of additional strong players if they hope to compete for a medal....this will not cut it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post

A few good names (Paul Stastny, Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, Kyle Okposo), but on the whole, mostly NHL fourth liners.

We do have Ryan Lasch of the Pelicans from SM-Liiga.....I love the Pelicans, so that's pretty cool.

They will need to add quite a number of additional strong players if they hope to compete for a medal....this will not cut it.
    It's already a better group then the past few years. It'd be nice to get a starting goaltender, a second line center and another top two line winger but I actually have a bit of faith in this group. It's not like too many other teams can boast two NHL 30 goal scorers at this point and the defense looks about as deep as any recent US world championship team. I've heard some talk that Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien are strongly considering coming as well so things seem fairly bright and we haven't even gotten to the discussion of who might be available after the first few rounds of the NHL play-offs are done. At this stage I wouldn't be absolutely shocked to see a chance at a medal, which I haven't considered realistic in years.

As a Lightning fan, I'm glad to see Thompson get the call. I love his game. It's also nice to see J.T. Brown get some experience and play a few more games this season.

IHF Member

Pacioretty is a pretty good player too, he should be figure strongly for 2014. Would like to see Stafford and Pominville in there too.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - Újpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Member
    Mark Streit and Nino Niederreiter will play for team Switzerland.

We all are icehockey fans

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    It's not like too many other teams can boast two NHL 30 goal scorers at this point
    No but few other teams can boast 4 solid lines, and two people... are two people. It's not Team Canada at the Olympics. Slovenia with Anze Kopitar is still Slovenia, so's Belarus with one Kostitsyn and one Grabovski (see last year)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    No but few other teams can boast 4 solid lines, and two people... are two people. It's not Team Canada at the Olympics. Slovenia with Anze Kopitar is still Slovenia, so's Belarus with one Kostitsyn and one Grabovski (see last year)
    Yes but you'd have to agree that any country faces better odds of success with a few elite players rather than none. Also, I don't think the depth of this US team is too bad either. They've got the makings of two solid scoring lines and then the typical role players you'd find on a third or fourth line. It'll all come down to chemistry and the ability to adjust to the European style of game which have certainly been issues for US teams recently but the bottom line is that there's more to be positive about than there's been the past few years.

Finns will have some NHL players in the roster, the rest from Finnish, Swedish, and Russian leagues. Hopefully they all make up a TEAM to defence the championship. How many years has it gone the host nation not to win the title?

Quote Originally Posted by amaeela View Post
    Finns will have some NHL players in the roster, the rest from Finnish, Swedish, and Russian leagues. Hopefully they all make up a TEAM to defence the championship. How many years has it gone the host nation not to win the title?
    If they did it last year with a similar roster, can't see why can't they repeat that. Of course, Canada will be strong, Russia as always, Swedes, Czechs... the usual suspects. But still, WC is good in the sense that upsets do happen a lot.

And I wouldn't necessarily call WC a ''second rate'' tournament. Yeah it's a stage for young players a lot of times but if we look back at Riga 2006 that's probably one my teen years' best memories, we had Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby in the same tournament + Kopitar. Now... where else you could take autographs of these four players now, in a tournament. Olympics? But Kopitar won't be there Plus we had Marian Hossa, Shanahan in his last interntional tournament.

I remember people in Latvia then talking that we've got a ''second rate'' WC, it was Olympic season and the WC came a few months after the Olympics and we had, as some said at the time, almost ''zero'' stars playing there. Teah, Ovechkin and Crosby took the league with storm but people still were only getting used to these names... People wanted Thornton, Jagr, Heatley, Selanne, Alfredsson etc. Now if we look back it's still the only WC that had three the most influential and best known names of post 2006 Olympics NHL...

The same about this year, I feel... if we have RNH, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Landeskog, Granlund... All of them can rock the NHL in few years or already next year. Yeah they're still young and not in their prime but when will you see them all together again? Sochi 2014 perhaps and even then maybe sb will be injured or sth else...
    Last edited by rusher; 13-04-2012 at 03:09.

I hope ppl dont think that Finland is the #1 team at men's level because they won WC last year? Canada is number since they won OG in Vancouver, before that Sweden was number since we won in Torino.
    Last edited by Stolpskott; 13-04-2012 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    I hope ppl dont think that Finland is the #1 team at men's level because they won WC last year? Canada is number since they won OG in Vancouver, past that Sweden was number since we won in Torino.
    Yes, and Slovakia will now be the better team than Sweden until Sochi 2014, right?

Obviously, ranking the teams just based on IHWC results is stupid, but ranking them just based on OG is just as stupid. Especially 3-4 years later when chances are that some players could be already retired).

The WC winner is the best team at this tourney. The OG winner is the winner of the best of best tournament and therefore should be considered the best team with all the players available at the moment of the tourney.
    Slovak hockey... just won´t die :D :D :D
    The spirit of Petersburg 2000 lived in Helsinki 2012...found in the last possible moment in Helsinki 2013...

Brent Sutter has accepted the job as head coach for Canada roughly 24 hours after leaving the Calgary Flames

Denmark - Latvia 1:4

Nolan is a great coach, up until this moment at least... He's left a few ''will be at WC" players at home and puts young guys in PP, penalty kill, gives them last minutes of the game to play (and score, Koba Jass), constantly in-game changing lines and creating unimaginable lines :D and it all works, at least in these two games...

My excitement level for this year's WC has risen so much, not only because I think we can play very well there but cause I want to see what Nolan will do next. As Irbe said in an interview recently, truly a profesional.

I like Rautakallio but now I want Nolan to coach Dinamo Riga too :D Maybe it will turn into disaster at the end but at the moment you can just feel the enthusiasm of players seeping through the screen. Man, they're enjoying every minute on ice...

IHF Member
    Goddamnit! Luke schenn! Are you kidding me! Is canada trying to lose!?

IHF Member
    What a bunch of bums on d...

IHF Member
    And as always, I have no clue who the USA is considering, or what kind of pre-tournament preparations USA Hockey will undertake.

I wonder if the USA will ever win another gold, or even a silver, at this tournament, and if USA Hockey even cares. It seems they only care about the Olympics, the World Juniors, the World U18's, and the women, but not this tournament.
    I'm sure USA Hockey does care about the WC, but it's a situation that differs greatly from the other tournaments you mentioned.
    The Worlds is the only tourney in which the US can't send its best team, so expectations have to be realistic.
    It would be nice if the US could medal at this event but given the circumstances, the best that can be hoped
    for is that the team representing America be as competitive as it possibly can.
    It's the same situation Canada is in, but Canada does have a larger pool of talent to draw from.

IHF Member
    The Sochi seedings will be heavily influenced by this tournament. Group A (1,6,7,12) will likely have Russia (1) and the US (6). Tough draw for #7. Also Group C, has Sweden (3) and Canada (4). Canada & the US were 1/2 in the last Olympics, now, pending the results this year, are 4/6.

Belarusian forward Sergei Demagin (shoulder injury) and Kazakh defender Aleksei Vasilchenko (not specified injury) won't travel to Sweden

With the way the Rangers are choking against the Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I had better start getting more excited to cheer for the American nats.......

IHF Member
    With the way the Rangers are choking against the Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs, I had better start getting more excited to cheer for the American nats.......
    As a Lightning fan, I'm already excited! Well, as excited as I can be to watch us lose.

Any word on TV coverage in the States yet? I'm not expecting anything, but they did show a few games a year or two ago on Versus didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    Goddamnit! Luke schenn! Are you kidding me! Is canada trying to lose!?
    Completely agree with you. Schenn shows a habit of getting beaten to the outside one-one-one on NHL size rinks. That weakness will be exposed even more on the wider ice surface. Not sure what Hockey Canada staff was thinking there. Very weak choice.

Marc, don't panic............................................. ......yet :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    Completely agree with you. Schenn shows a habit of getting beaten to the outside one-one-one on NHL size rinks. That weakness will be exposed even more on the wider ice surface. Not sure what Hockey Canada staff was thinking there. Very weak choice.
    16 games played at the World Championships, +6

IHF Member

Team Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Baechis View Post
    And also Luca Sbisa

We all are icehockey fans

This tourney just got a little more exciting now that the Detroit-swedes are available.

IHF Member
    Hudler and Kindl for Czech team

Also from Detroit, Finland adds Valtteri Filppula.

Their total amount of NHL additions stands now as:

Kari Lehtonen, G (Dallas)
    Mikko Koivu, F (Minnesota)
    Jussi Jokinen, F (Carolina)
    Petteri Nokelainen, F (Montreal)
    Lennart Petrell, F (Edmonton)
    Valtteri Filppula, F (Detroit)

A rather meager amount compared to other top countries, but already more than what they had last year.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Lehtonen, Koivu, Jokinen and Filppula are formidable players, though.

Sweden have added defenseman Jonathan Ericsson. Henrik Zetterberg is also close to join. Johan Franzen and Nik Kronwall havent decided yet. Douglas Murray will be contacted also.

Lehtonen, Koivu, Jokinen and Filppula are formidable players, though.
    That they are. And with technically all the top-level talent from Europe such as Immonen, Kapanen, Granlund, Niskala and so on already committed, the reigning world champion should again have a team able to challenge just about anyone.

Perhaps it's not the most impressive on paper, but hey, when does Finland have such a team anyway?
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pejcha View Post
    Hudler and Kindl for Czech team
    I thought Hudler said no since he dosnt have a contract?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHKStarkovs View Post
    I thought Hudler said no since he dosnt have a contract?
    Yea, it was posted on idnes that he'll join the team, but they fixed it later. I was too optimistic

Sadly, Henrik Lundqvist and Carl Hagelin may be available for Sweden very soon. :(

Could be a very interesting year with Zetterström/Franzén/Lidström/Kronwall/Ericsson etc available from Detroit and Sedin x 2/Edler/Påhlsson available from Vancouver. Top that off with Lundqvist in goal and... A pretty good selection I'd think.
    Cum bibam cervisia gaudeo.

Quote Originally Posted by bekayne View Post
    plus / minus rating is over-rated in my view. Its more a reflection of the team totals then individual play. I based my observation on Schenn on what I saw this season....plus minus stats don't reflect that reality

Quote Originally Posted by Baechis View Post
    Streit has been confirmed ? i couldn't get the infos anywhere... This is awesome
    http://www.thepetrochemist.info == Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk english blog. Fun times !

IHF Member
    Yes, he's already in Switzerland and will join the team on Tuesday (as Sbisa).

Roster for the final exhibition games vs. Canada

Goalies (3): Reto Berra (Biel), Lukas Flüeler (ZSC Lions), Tobias Stephan (Genf-Servette).

Defenders (10): Goran Bezina (Genf-Servette), Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Félicien Du Bois (Kloten), Philippe Furrer (Bern), Robin Grossmann (Davos), Luca Sbisa (Anaheim/USA), Mathias Seger (ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (NY Islanders/USA), Julien Vauclair (Lugano), Patrick von Gunten (Västra Frölunda/SWE).

Forwards (15): Andres Ambühl (ZSC Lions), Matthias Bieber (Kloten), Damien Brunner (Zug), Denis Hollenstein (Kloten), Michael Liniger (Kloten), Thibaut Monnet (ZSC Lions), Simon Moser (Langnau), Nino Niederreiter (NY Islanders/USA), Benjamin Plüss (Fribourg), Kevin Romy (Lugano), Daniel Rubin (Genf-Servette), Ivo Rüthemann (Bern), Julien Sprunger (Fribourg), Morris Trachsler (Genf-Servette), Roman Wick (Kloten).

Cut: Genoni (by his own will, he didn't feel good enough to battle for a space), Chiesa, Kukan, Loeffel

Declined: Martin Plüss

Still playing in NA: Josi and Sven Bärtschi, both would have a spot but both probably won't be out the time the IHWC starts.

Any reason why Jonas Hiller isn't participating for Switzerland?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Frans Nielsen and Philip Larsen all confirmed for Denmark.

And with Frederik Andersen as goalie i see us as a QF contender this year. Maybe we will even beat Slovakia 3rd time his year :-)

@Jaa

I was also quite surpriced about that we managed to beat you 2 times in Slovakia with that team roster. I am as always hoping for Slovakia - so i hope to see the team improve - how is situation with Panik? I dreamed about seeing him at the WC for several years.

Has Canucks also confirmed Jannik Hansen? Just saw he said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptajnen22 View Post
    how is situation with Panik? I dreamed about seeing him at the WC for several years.
    panik still plays in ahl play-offs for norfolk - but i don't know if he will be invited if they are eliminated - and i doubt they will be eliminated, but anything can happen - "any given sunday" if i can borrow a quote from another sport :)

panik played at the wc two years ago or so...

btw:
    i dream about tatar-panik-viedensky line :)
    Per aspera ad Astra. [42]

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Any reason why Jonas Hiller isn't participating for Switzerland?
    He played a lot this season (73 games, only Rinne played the same amount) and back from his Vertigo last year he didn't want to play more.

Not a big problem for Switzerland, Berra and Stephan are in great shape and have the potential to step up.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bekayne View Post
    At one time Luke Schenn was good...not anymore...Im a huge Leaf fan I should say so its not the usual anti-Leaf homerism either...he just is playing awful and was brutal all year

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information