Thread: Tracking Daniel Spivak

Tracking Daniel Spivak

Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak

It's an amateur try out. He played today and finished a -1 in a 4-2 loss.
    Last edited by Geoff; 01-11-2012 at 23:25.

So far he has played in 4 games, with zero points, a -2 plus/minus rating, 3 shots on goal and zero penalty minutes.

He is coming to Sofia, I just found out

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?da5xwx

IHF Prospect
    Developing Story: Daniel Spivak
    Friday, January 27, 2012
    As RIT co-captain built strength his role grew, becoming a top-pair defenseman

Daniel Spivak's +10 rating leads the Tigers. .In Developing Story, a regular feature planned for collegehockeyinc.com, we will highlight current college hockey players who have developed their skills during their careers – either on the ice or in the weight room – and in turn made a bigger impact on their team’s success.

Daniel Spivak came to RIT one of four defensemen in his freshman class, joining a team that had four blueliners returning. Simple math made it clear that he might not always get the ice time he wanted.

If playing time was out of his hands, he focused on what he could control – specifically how hard he worked off the ice. And as he spent more and more time in the weight room, he noticed something.

The upperclassmen who were working the hardest were also getting ice time.

Spivak followed their lead, becoming one of the Tigers’ leaders in the weight room, and his role has increased each year. As a senior, the Thornhill, Ontario, native is one of three RIT captains, plays on the first defense pair and leads the team at +10 entering this weekend’s big series with Mercyhurst.

“You have the opportunity here to put in that off-ice work; we have the time and great facilities,” said Spivak. “It’s sort of an individual thing. No one is going to stand there and drill you, especially during the season. I just try to make sure I’m focused and work hard.”

Increased strength can help any player, particularly a physical, defensive defenseman like Spivak. He’s totaled six assists in 107 career games, but offensive numbers don’t define him. His coaches asked him to be a hard-nosed blueliner, and that’s what he focused on.

“I decided, I’m going to work hard to be the best defender I could be,” he said. “I wanted to be stronger and impose my will on the other team. I knew working hard off the ice could help solidify my role.”

Spivak’s work has also solidified RIT’s team performance and chances of making a return to the NCAA Tournament (the Tigers reached the Frozen Four his sophomore season). They are one point off the Atlantic Hockey lead entering this weekend’s series with first-place Mercyhurst, carrying the best goals-against average in the conference and third-best nationally.

Spivak, who represented Israel in the 2009 Division II World Championship, has added 15 pounds to his 6-foot-0 frame since arriving on campus, now weighing 210. He’ll have the opportunity to take his physical, stay-at-home style to the professional ranks either this spring on next fall, thanks in part to the effort he has put forth off the ice.

IHF Prospect
    Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak
    March 18, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Reading Royals

Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League and the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Daniel Spivak ["SPEE vack"] to an Amateur Tryout Agreement. In separate transactions, the Royals (i) activated forward John Scrymgeour from the 21-Day Injured Reserve; and (ii) placed defenseman Colten Hayes on the 3-Day Injured Reserve.
    Spivak (6'0/206) (23), who hails from Thornhill, Ontario, just completed his senior season with the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers, where he registered three assists and thirty-six penalty minutes in thirty-eight games, while serving as a team captain. A three-time selection to the Atlantic Hockey Association's All-Academic Team, Spivak received the Greg Moss Hard Hat Award for performing at a high level with little fanfare in his junior season at R.I.T. In 122 total games with the Tigers, Spivak recorded seven assists and 148 penalty minutes. Scrymgeour sustained an injury on February 18 and missed thirteen games. He has nine points (3g-6a) and twenty penalty minutes in thirty games with Reading this season. Hayes sustained an injury in last night's 4-3 overtime win against the Wheeling Nailers.

The Royals return to action this afternoon (Sunday, March 18, 2012 @ 4:05 pm) when Florida Everblades make their final regular season appearance at the Sovereign Center. It's a Family Day with the first 1000 kids twelve and under receiving a Royals' cereal bowl. There will also be a post-game skate with the players presented by Body Zone Sports & Wellness Complex. Sunday's game day broadcast will start at 3:35 pm with the Red Robin Gourmet Burger Pre-Game Warm-up Show on ESPN Radio 1240 am in Reading. Streaming audio is available free of charge courtesy of America One through the Royals' website, www.royalshockey.com.

IHF Prospect
    Final
    March 17, 2012 W Wheeling Nailers 3 at Reading Royals 4 (OT) Final
    March 18, 2012 L Florida Everblades 4 at Reading Royals 2 Final
    March 23, 2012 W Trenton Titans 2 at Reading Royals 3 (SO) Final
    March 24, 2012 W Reading Royals 7 at Trenton Titans 0 Final
    March 25, 2012 W Trenton Titans 3 at Reading Royals 5 Final
    March 28, 2012 Wheeling Nailers at Reading Royals 7:05 p.m.
    March 30, 2012 Reading Royals at Elmira Jackals 7:35 p.m.
    March 31, 2012 Trenton Titans at Reading Royals 7:05 p.m

An update: Spivak was in camp with the Cincinnati Cyclones but was cut yesterday.

Hopefully he latches on with another ECHL, or perhaps a Central League, club.

He's landed with the Fort Worth Brahmas. I won't be able to make the home opener Friday as I'm going to a Halloween party but I might make the Saturday night game.

EDIT: And I just found out my roommate RSVP'd me for a party on the 27th too so I won't make a game this weekend but I'll definitely post weekly updates if you guys want. Spivak's defensive style should suit Coach Wildfong's style perfectly as he runs a defense first system.
    Last edited by Geoff; 23-10-2012 at 06:42.

IHF Member
    Any News?

Sorry, I meant to get on here Monday but I've been pretty busy the past few days. The Brahmas went 1-1-1 last weekend with Spivak playing all three games. He finished the weekend +1 with 2 penalty minutes for holding the stick and 1 shot.

The Brahmas play tonight at Arizona before heading to Denver for games Friday and Saturday.

The Brahmas are struggling mightily right now and are now 1-4-1, dead last in the CHL. Over the three games this week Spivak had an assist, seven shots, and was a -5 to make him a -4 so far on the season.

Last night's game was one where the refs must have left their whistles at home. A ton of physical play but no penalties to either team. And either the defense isn't picking up the system, there's no communication with the goalies, or the goalies forgot how to play all of a sudden. Last four games: L 4-2, L 4-0, L 5-3, L 7-1

IHF Member
    seems like he's fitting in? any updates?

I managed to get out to one game last weekend and he played well in that game. Played the angles great, threw some nice timely hits, didn't get beat bad (or at least noticeably) the only reason he got hit with -1s was when his partner messed up. He was a -3 in the game I went to but all the goals were on the opposite side of the ice.

Last weekend in three games the Brahmas won 5-4, lost 1-0, and lost 6-2. Spivak was a -5 in those games with 2 PIM and 3 shots.

They play Friday night at the Rapid City Rush then travel to take on the Denver Cutthroats on Saturday in Denver. Tuesday they'll be taking on the Tulsa Oilers at Tulsa before returning home to Texas and taking on the Quad City Mallards on Wednesday.

The Brahmas may have actually started turning things around, winning both road games this past weekend (including a solid defeat of Denver up in the mountains).

Dan had 1 assists, was a +2, and fired 2 shots in the two games.

IHF Member
    Nice!

The Bramhas would push their win streak to 4 games before dropping a couple this weekend. In the last for games Dan is a +1 with only one shot but he made it count with a goal in yesterday's 5-4 loss at Wichita.

15 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 4 PIM, -6

Hope to see him get the +/- to a more respectable number soon.

The Brahmas had another 3-game win streak (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday) before losing today. Over those four games, Daniel was a +2 with 2 shots. He now stands at 19 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 4 PIM, -4

IHF Member
    Not Bad

After having four games in five days last week the Brahmas only had two games this weekend, a 4-3 SOL and a 1-0 W. Spivak was -2 in the loss and even in the win today. I didn't make it to the game last night but he played well today. He got the start at left D and played a smart game with a few pretty big hits.

Since my last update, the Brahmas have played 5 games. In that time Spivak is a +4 with a goal and an assist.

With that +4, his +/- for the year now stands at -2. Not too shabby when you realize it was as low as -9.

Been a while since the last update. Partially due to the site being down but mostly due to the hectic nature of the holidays.

The Brahmas are 4-3-0 over their last seven and Spivak had 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 PIM, and a +5. He's now managed to get his season +/- up to a +3.

The Brahmas may struggle in the next few games. With the lockout ending and the lack of agreement between the CHL and ECHL preventing poaching player that are under contract, in the past two days three of the team's defensemen have left the team and accepted offers in the ECHL.

This is a good news/bad news type post.

The Brahmas won tonight and have won 10 of the last 12. As you'd imagine they've made the climb up the table and are now just four points out of first place. This is the bad news for Israelis because the Brahmas are most likely going to be in the playoffs, thus likely keeping Spivak from playing for the national team.

Since my last up date, Spivak has played in 8 games with 2 assists (tonight and the team's last game on Saturday), 2 PIM, and +4. For the season he's now at 3 goals, 8 assists, 12 PIM, and +7.

I was only able to make it to one game this past weekend and Spivak looked good. He really only had one mistake with a bad turnover but he immediately got back and broke up the play.
    I'm planning on interviewing Spivak for an article in March as we get closer to the playoffs and IHWC. I'll post that whenever that goes live.

IHF Member
    That would be bad for World Championships. Talk is team will make a big push for Gold this year

Since the last update, he's played in only 5 games. He got boarded in the second of two back-to-back games in Denver and was placed on 14-day Injured Reserve on the 9th.

During those 5 games he had 1 assists and was a +2. That assist came in the game he was injured.

I'll be attending both games this weekend. Spivak is still on IR but he's eligible to come off before this weekend if he's good to go. Either way, I'm going to try to interview him for an article for Pro Hockey News. I'm planning on the scope of my piece being the sacrifice he has to make to be with the Brahmas for the playoffs and potentially miss the World Championships. For reference the CHL season ends on the 24th. With the playoffs likely to start the middle of the next week. Three rounds of best-of-sevens could keep him busy until the end of April or maybe even early May.

If any of you have any questions you want me ask post them and I'll try to remember to ask him.

IHF Member
    Thanks for the Update.

Some funny and some not so good news.

When I talked to Daniel after tonight's game, he jokingly asked if I wanted to interview one of the guys who actually played tonight. When I told him what the piece was on he laughed and said he wasn't surprised because he'd done quite a number of Israel related interviews over the years. I'll transcribe it tomorrow and probably begin the article in the afternoon. It should be up early next week.

The not so good news is that he's likely done for the season. He said he still has to talk to the doctor again, he feels good and could probably play, but it's very likely he'll need surgery that would take him out 6 months. He's going to see the doctor again "soon" but it sounds like he will most likely not play in the playoffs for the Brahmas and will miss the World Championship.

That's what I am hearing as well. Sad news.

Hopefully he has successful surgery and makes a speedy, full recovery.

Looking forward to your article, Geoff.

IHF Member
    Terrible news. Hoping for the best.

Marc, I know wrong thread but any other news related to national team players?

I've heard quite a bit, but all rumors for now. As we get closer to the Worlds, I'll post some stuff.

My editor was going to post it today but he just got back from a long trip and it getting back into the grind of his 9 to 5 so he emailed me to tell me he's holding on to it until tomorrow.

Terrific read, Geoff! Really well done. Love the photos as well.

Thanks. And next time I see Robert, I'll pass on the kind words for the photos.

Thread Information