Thread: Germany`s forgotten German Hockey Country Ostpreussen(Eastprussia)

IHF Member

Germany Germany`s forgotten German Hockey Country Ostpreussen(Eastprussia)

Until 1944 Eastprussia presented by far the most youth players and youth teams in the German ice hockey.

In the season 1940/1941 there were even WHILE the war, 70 youth teams and 60 student teams.

1939, 1942.1943 and, most recently in Prague in 1944 was the selection of German East Prussia Youth Hockey Champion.

Best-known teams were the SV Rastenburg and VfK Konigsberg.

After the lost war in 1945 Prussia was separated from Germany and sold the inhabitants.

Registered youth players of that time were still later in West Germany and East Germany national team:

Dieter Niess (SV Rastenburg, later Bad Nauheim and Dusseldorf), Hans Frenzel (SV Rastenburg, later Berlin), Rainer Kossmann (Ortelsburg, later Berlin / Kefeld) or Günther Schischewski (VfK Königsberg, later Weiswasser)

A year before the end of the German history of East Prussia the province Idol Götze(Tilsiter SC), Kuhn (Allensteiner SV), Wagner, Niess and Kohn (all SV Rastenburg) and 1944, the most players at the last performances of the last German national youth team in Amsterdam.

Since 1945, most youth players come from Bavaria-East Prussia is now unfortunately forgotten .........
    Last edited by hoeppel; 15-03-2011 at 20:52.

IHF Member
    First German Youth Titel 1939 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen(Bavaria):

The Games from Ostpreußen/Eastprussia (called from the Nazi-Sport "Ostland", Bavaria was called "Hochland" etc...)

- Mitteland 16:0 (4:0/6:0/6:0)
    - Berlin B 9:0 (2:0/4:0/3:0)
    - Sachsen 4:1 (0:1/0:0/4:0)
    - Düsseldorf 3:1 (0:0/1:1/2:0)
    - Westfalen 8:0
    - Wien 2:1 (Final)

Later German Youth Nationalplayers from the winner Team:

Queda(SV Rastenburg), Friedrich(VfK Königsberg) and Dühring(VfK Königsberg)

IHF Member
    What became of these young hockey players after the war?

Good forgotten Players:

Kowalleck(SV Rastenburg)
    -------------------------------------------
    Many goals in the German youth championship in 1942, including in the final against Bayern in the same year at the senior citizens of the SV-Rastenburg ,at the same year with SV Rastenburg Youth Champion in Eastprussia (Final against VfK Königsberg 1:1 and 1:0)-in the games to the Finale with 4-6 Goals on a game, German-Courses of Talents in Köln, never in the Newspapers named at 1943.....

Steinert(SV Allenstein)
    -------------------------------------------
    German students master (Pimpfe) with East Prussia in 1941, with many courses in the Reich-then no longer mentioned in the press

Widder(VfK Königsberg)
    -----------------------------------------------
    Strong goalkeeper, German Youth Champion 1941 and 1942, the Club is VfK Konigsberg

Götze(Tilsiter SC)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Great talent, enlightened German East Prussia in 1941("Pimpfe") and 1942("Youth"), students master the German youth champion in 1944 in the youth national team in the midst of the chaos war.He falls in Stettin-Altdamm in March 1945 in the fight against the Red Army

und many more good Players.....

IHF Member
    Hey neighbour,

perfect infos....... never heard about that, before you've posted here......

thanks for the infos
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Hello Franco,

Good, i can write with you in German, where is your home Kanton ???

Once of this Youth-Hockey-Mekka are today in the German Hall of Fame

Dieter Nieß(SV Rastenburg)

1941 Students(Schüler/Pimpfe) Champion of Eastprussia with the Club SV Rastenburg
    1941 in the Students Selection of Eastprussia by the German Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    1942 Youth(Jugend) Champion of Eastprussia with the Club SV Rastenburg
    1942 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1943 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1944 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1944 Played with the Rastenburg/Königsberg Selction(Senior) at the German Hockey Championships in Prague and Berlin(high lost Games)

after the war

In West-Germany

Clubs: VfL Bad Nauheim, Düsseldorfer EG

1947/1948 In Final with VfL Bad Nauheim in the German Ice Hockey Championships(lost agains SC Riessersee)

More than 20 International Matches for Germany as Forward:

WC 1953 (Captain of Germany) with 1 Goal and 1 Assist
    Olympia 1952 in Oslo
    Last edited by hoeppel; 11-03-2011 at 17:36.

IHF Member
    Time and again the amazing talent out youth players bring. In the Junior Championships in 1940, the Hockey Club of East Prussia is from Tilsit, the birthplace of Armin Mueller Stahl, senstionell finals - the VfK Konigsberg is sensationally beaten 0-3 after a 5-3 behind to a Stümer with the names Ballandat shoots 4 goals . He plays from 1941 in the professional team of Tilsiter SC. What would have become of him if the terrible war did not where ???
    Last edited by hoeppel; 14-03-2011 at 20:01.

IHF Member
    With 6.73 meters in 1957 Siegfried Stuttmann is German police chief in the long jump for the TV Siegburg.

Stuttmann who was born on 10/13/1926 in Tilsit was then East Prussia choice goalkeeper of German students in 1941 was hockey champions.

For many it was to be continued for the new beginning after the expulsion probably not always be the beloved Hockey

IHF Member
    Sorry for my English

The time at the School ist 10 years ago, and now i`m sorry to say that i must use the Translator (and ther had manny errors i think !!!)

Good Week for all Hockey Fans

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoeppel View Post
    Time and again the amazing talent out youth players bring. In the Junior Championships in 1940, the Hockey Club of East Prussia is from Tilsit, the birthplace of Armin Mueller Stahl, senstionell finals - the VfK Konigsberg is sensationally beaten 0-3 after a 5-3 behind to a Stümer with the names Ballandat shoots 4 goals . He plays from 1941 in the professional team of Tilsiter SC. What would have become of him if the terrible war did not where ???
    One Year Later - 1941 - The Young Center Ballandat plays explosive in First Team of the Tilsiter SC:

Tilsiter SC - EV Gumbinnen 6:0
    (Ballandat 3 Goals)

Tilsiter SC - EG Insterburg 2:1 (0:0/2:1/0:0)
    (Ballandat scores the 2 Goals)

Tilsiter SC - Memeler SV 8:0 (2:0/3:0/3:0)
    (Ballandat scores 4 Goals)

Its war, never been Knows this player, maybe he had can an internatinal Player for West-or DDR Germany !!!!

IHF Member
    East Prussia Victory on the German Students Championships 1941 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    (Reichs-Schülermeisterschaften im Eishockey 1941 - Pimpfe)

in the Final enough a 0:0 against Bavaria ("Hochland")

The Semi-Final was spectaculare:

Ostpreußen - Wien 7:0 (0:0/2:0/5:0)
    (Eastland-Vienna)

Vienna at that time belonged to Germany and Bavaria, the best young player......

The young Center Dieter Nieß(today Hall of Fame Germany) is the best player....

The Goals For the Winnerteam
    in this Game:

Dieter Nieß(2) - SV Rastenburg
    Döbler (1) - VfK Königsberg
    Kuhn(1) - SV Allenstein 1910
    Wagner(2) - SV Rastenburg
    and One Goal Unknown

Wagner had with his Goal against Schwaben 1:0 (0:0/0:0/1:0) for a Good Start in the Tornemant provided. Wagner survived the war and plays later in Bad Nauheim in the First german Division, at this Time !!!

(This Stats from the Newspaper "Memelwacht" in the Year 1941)

IHF Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZbQL8g7yE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGCk4...eature=related

Here old Pictures from Königsberg, the Capital of Eastprussia, Kant is Born there- totally destroyed in teh last war. Before 1939 more Germans live there as in the other Northern Citys like Bremen,Stettin or Kiel !!!!

Hockey played In Following Clubs in Königsberg :

VfB Königsberg
    VfK Königsberg
    VdS Königsberg
    Wacker Königsberg(only Youth)
    ASCO Königsberg
    Last edited by hoeppel; 16-03-2011 at 08:44.

IHF Member
    Hello Franco,

Good, i can write with you in German, where is your home Kanton ???

Once of this Youth-Hockey-Mekka are today in the German Hall of Fame

Dieter Nieß(SV Rastenburg)

1941 Students(Schüler/Pimpfe) Champion of Eastprussia with the Club SV Rastenburg
    1941 in the Students Selection of Eastprussia by the German Championships in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
    1942 Youth(Jugend) Champion of Eastprussia with the Club SV Rastenburg
    1942 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1943 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1944 Youth Champion of Germany with Eastprussia
    1944 Played with the Rastenburg/Königsberg Selction(Senior) at the German Hockey Championships in Prague and Berlin(high lost Games)

after the war

In West-Germany

Clubs: VfL Bad Nauheim, Düsseldorfer EG

1947/1948 In Final with VfL Bad Nauheim in the German Ice Hockey Championships(lost agains SC Riessersee)

More than 20 International Matches for Germany as Forward:

WC 1953 (Captain of Germany) with 1 Goal and 1 Assist
    Olympia 1952 in Oslo
    Hi there,

well, I'm close to you....... Kanton Aargau. Yes, we speak the same language
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    One Year Later - 1941 - The Young Center Ballandat plays explosive in First Team of the Tilsiter SC:

Tilsiter SC - EV Gumbinnen 6:0
    (Ballandat 3 Goals)

Tilsiter SC - EG Insterburg 2:1 (0:0/2:1/0:0)
    (Ballandat scores the 2 Goals)

Tilsiter SC - Memeler SV 8:0 (2:0/3:0/3:0)
    (Ballandat scores 4 Goals)

Its war, never been Knows this player, maybe he had can an internatinal Player for West-or DDR Germany !!!!
    Tilsiter = Swiss cheese......
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    from where you've all this infos? Is there a new book on the market??
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    In the last 5 Years i write this information from old newspapers, i visit many archives etc. !!! I hope my book ist on May ready, you can wish me luck

IHF Member
    In the last 5 Years i write this information from old newspapers, i visit many archives etc. !!! I hope my book ist on May ready, you can wish me luck
    oh, there will be a book in the future????? This sounds PERFECT!!! Ein Buch hast Du bereits verkauft.... an mich...... and back to english...... indeed, perfect news!!!
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Franco, Thanks - I will write you ne PN !!! (Tilsit gehörte übrigens bis 1945 zu Deutschland also unser Käse)

Have a Good Week !!!

IHF Member
    Youth Player Defender Rehberg(VfK Königsberg) win with Eastprussia the German Youth Championships in Hockey in Prague/Prag 1942(Goal u.a athe Game against Wien/Vienna 3:3)

Few month lather in the Summer he will Eastprussia-Youth Champion in javelin throw(Speerwerfen) with 44,87 Meters !!! A true sportsman

IHF Member
    The Last German Hockey Champion at the war, in the year 1944, is the Berliner SC/Brandenburg !!!

Eastprussia makes a team, too-but everyclub in Germany becames problems to send Players !!!

High looses against Düsseldorfer EG and Berlin/Brandeburg, Only in Prague/against the NSTG Prag wins Eastprussia(Ostpreussen) 1:0 !!!

The Team is almost made by young players.

become now just have to play the German Youth Masters are helping out.

Götze(Tilsiter SC), Nieß, Wagner, Kohn or Grahl(all SV Rastenburg) played for the Ostpreussenteam at the German Hockey Championship 1944.

Kohn, later with the German Youth Team 1944 in Amsterdam, can scored a goal against the Düsseldorfer EG at the 2:8 losses. The young player had to learn.......

IHF Member
    Kurt Ruddigkeit alive today, he is the last surviving player of Ostpreussenauswahl at the last German Youth Championships in Prague 1944th East Prussia became a student and youth champion.

East Prussia in the final against Bayern won 2-1, goals: Götze (Tilsiter SC) and Kohn (SV Rastenburg)

for Bayern in the final time by the way Xaver Unsinn

Kurt Ruddigkeit, then Tilist played successfully in Hanover Germany in the Second Class and 1961 Ice Hockey

(Googele Translator, sorry for this Translation, my Englisch ist not so Good)

IHF Member
    i have found More Hockey Players from Eastprussia in West and Eastgermany after the War:

Heinz Borbe (VfK Königsberg, German Youth Champion 1939 with Ostland) played from 1950 to ??? for EV Passau
    Witt II (VfK Königsberg, German Youth Champion 1939 with Ostland) played from 1950 to ??? for EV Passau and Havervstehude
    Jansen (VdS Königsberg, on The Ostland Students Team in Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1943) for Straubing in the 50th
    Günter Kuhn (Allenstein, German Youth Champion with Ostland 1944) Played in Hannover (Germann II), and Crimmitschau (German/DDR I)

Borbe scored at the German Championship 1941 in the Game:
    Berliner Sportpalast: Wiener EV - VfK Königsberg 2:1

I've always found it amazing how you guys find out all this information. Interesting read so far thanks/danke!
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

IHF Member

IHF Member
    Hockey played In Following Clubs in Königsberg :

VfB Königsberg
    VfK Königsberg
    VdS Königsberg
    Wacker Königsberg(only Youth)
    ASCO Königsberg

There was also another Team called SV Prussia-Samland

IHF Member
    Ostland (Ostpreussen) and Vienna (Wien) dominate at the German Youth and Students Championships 1939-1944:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1939: Finale in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Youth/Jugend) Ostpreußen - Wien 2:1
    1940: Finale in Garmisch Partenkirchen (Youth/Jugend) Wien - Ostpreußen 3:2 n. V.
    (Wien won for the Finale against Hochland (Bayern) or Düsseldorf. Ostpreußen won against Schwaben (3:1), Berlin (7:2) and Kärnten (1:0 /Semifinale)
    1941: Champion Hochland (Bayern), Ostpreußen - Wien 2:0
    1941: Semi - Finale in Garmische Partenkirchen (Studetens / Schüler) Ostpreußen - Wien 7:0
    1942: Semi-Finale in Prague (Youth/Jugend) Ostpreußen - Wien 3:3 and 2:1
    1943: A Fame at the German Youth Championships in Wien/Garmisch Partenkirchen: Ostpreußen - Wien 2:1 (Grahl 1-0, Specht 1-1, Götze 2-1)
    1944: Finale in Prague (Students/Schüler): Ostpreußen - Wien, Wien did not Play.......

IHF Member
    2. edition of the booklet "Hockey in East Prussia and Danzig to 1945", 96 pages in German, can be ordered be intress, for 11 euro (Shipping charges included):
    oliver.bot@gmx.de

IHF Member
    This Clubs plays Hockey after 1919 in the Eastprussia Capital Königsberg (population 1939: ca. 380 000):
    i found:

VfK Königsberg 1922-1944
    ASCO Königsberg 1922-1943
    VdS Königsberg 1938-1944
    Wacker Königsberg 1941-1942
    VfB Königsberg 1922-1944
    Königsberger Hockey Club 1927-1930
    Prussia Samland Königsberg 1922-1939
    Hansa Königsberg 1931 (?) - 1941 (?)
    SV Prussia 1927-1931
    Königsberger STV 1931 (?) - 1935
    VfL Königsberg 1933-1937(?)
    Blau-Weiss Königsberg 1930-1942
    Universität Königsberg 1927
    Rasensport Preussen Königsberg 1927
    Königsberger Stadtgymnasium 1929-1936(?)

Thread Information