Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Club World Cup

Junior Club World Cup

I haven´t found a thread about this competition in IHF. So I have created it.

MHL, russian junior league including Dinamo Riga, Dinamo and Yunost Minsk, suggest to create World cup in junior hockey clubs -champions of national junior leagues. IIHF should confirm it on 1st december in Zurich.
    They suggest:

1. Omsk as a city where this tourney wil take place in august/september 2011.

2. 8 participants, champions of MHL, Memorial Cup (Canada), USA (I dont know which league), Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Germany and Czech junior league. Of course, champions of this season.

3. Age limit is 21 years.

look
    What do you think about this World cup?
    http://webhokej24.sk/index.php twitter: @vorkywh24

Very interesting idea. I wonder if Hockey Canada and the CHL are on board? I assume that the USA team will be from the USHL since that is the top tier junior league. I had always wanted to see the Memorial Cup champion take on the USHL champion.

I have already mentioned it over at a Slovak website, but I´l write it here too- I don´t agree with Germany being one of the particpants, with all respect to them they don´t currently have a top tier junior league and I can hardly see the 16-17 years old from the DNL competing with 19-20 year old Swedes or Russians, many with experience from SEL or KHL.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

I feel that it'd be a cool idea in principle, just that the details need to be worked out. For the CHL and presumably the USHL, would the teams from each of those respective leagues that would play in this be the champions from the previous season?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

yes, it should be champions from previous season, so 2010/11 season.

This would be so awesome.

I'm just affraid at least some of the countries mentioned are will see their junior champions lose bigtime.

Perhaps the NCAA champion also, allthough many players would be to old I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    Perhaps the NCAA champion also, allthough many players would be to old I guess.
    The thing about NCAA teams is that they'd have to get permission; I think a team is allowed an out of country trip something like once every 3 or so years, correct me if I'm wrong there. It'd be great though to see them play other teams around the world, yeah.

NCAA D.I teams, if they competed, would likely win the tournament every year, or close to it. NCAA D.I teams have played - and sometimes beaten - teams that are now in the KHL, NLA teams, DEL teams, etc. It is very, very high level hockey. Players on NCAA D.I teams range in age from 18 to 25 years old, and the average age of NCAA D.I teams is about 22. That alone disqualifies them.

The USA would be represented by the USHL champion; the USHL is the USA's highest caliber junior league, and its level of play is not far off from Canada's Major Junior. In fact, USHL teams have occasionally beaten Canadian Major Junior teams in exhibitions in the past.

Canadian Major Junior and the USHL each have players ranging from 16-20 years old. On occasion, there are players of exceptional skill who play Canadian Major Junior at 15. Most Canadian Major Junior teams, on average, are about 18-19 years of age.

The other thing to mention is that many USA players play in the Canadian Major Junior leagues (i.e., the Ontario, Western and Quebec leagues, which come under the 'Canadian Hockey League' umbrella). In fact, each of the Canadian Major Junior leagues has teams located in U.S. cities! Likewise, there are plenty of Canadians playing in the USHL.

I don't know whether many foreigners play in the various European junior leagues, but I suspect that the numbers are very low.

Given that NCAA D.I teams are not an option, I see this tournament being won by the Memorial Cup winner, with a chance for the MHL winner and the USHL winner to pull an upset from time to time. Metallurg Magnitogorsk's MHL juniors actually beat the KHL team in a pre-season game this year, for example.

As for the other leagues (and correct me if I am wrong), I am under the impression that their cailber is not as high as the CHL, MHL or USHL, as the best juniors from those countries play in either the men's elite leagues, or the levels just underneath them (i.e., Allsvenskan, Mestis, etc.). If that is true, then the junior clubs from those countries competing in this event would not have the very best juniors available to them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I don't know whether many foreigners play in the various European junior leagues, but I suspect that the numbers are very low.
    I don't know about all leagues, but my impression is that the swedish junior league would have about as high a number of foreign players as the CHL. While there are americans and europeans in the CHL, the wast majority are canadiens. CHL teams are only allowed to have 2 foreigners/imports in their squad (americans not counting as imports).

Swedish youth teams have a fair amount of danes, norwegians, finns and eastern europeans.

Luleå for example has 2 czechs, 1 norwegian, 1 austrian and 1 finn :
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=461

Malmö has 2 danes :
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=462

Rögle has 2 danes :
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=465

As for the other leagues (and correct me if I am wrong), I am under the impression that their cailber is not as high as the CHL, MHL or USHL, as the best juniors from those countries play in either the men's elite leagues, or the levels just underneath them (i.e., Allsvenskan, Mestis, etc.). If that is true, then the junior clubs from those countries competing in this event would not have the very best juniors available to them, right?
    I agree, although hopefully teams traveling to the tournament would send their best players, regardless of whether they usually represent the senior squad. That might not be the case though, as the national league probably means more to the clubs - but if the tournament was played at the end of the season, this could maybe work.

Good post, and thanks for it.

One clarification - I count Americans as 'foreigners' in terms of discussing the CHL, and Canadians as 'foreigners' in terms of discussing the USHL, because......well, they are. :)

One clarification - I count Americans as 'foreigners' in terms of discussing the CHL, and Canadians as 'foreigners' in terms of discussing the USHL, because......well, they are. :)
    Me to :-)

My point by bringing up the limit was just to clarify, that (americans not counting) CHL clubs are limited with regards to the number of foreign players they can play.

Point noted. There are a lot more Americans playing in the CHL than you might think, though.

Point noted. There are a lot more Americans playing in the CHL than you might think, though.
    I've actually been googling a bit for a list of nationalities in the CHL, but can't seem to find one. Would be interesting to know the exact percentage of foreign players in the league so we could compare better.

Marc thx for your post. I agree with you about NCAA. Age limit is 21 year because of age limit in MHL. There are players from 16/17 to 21 years.

Ambition is participated teams to sent their best juniors regardless of whether they usually represent the senior squad. Therefore the date of tourney should be 29.8 to 3-4.9. 2011. You can read original article in russian here
    Imagine that Skellefteå will win junior league in Sweden, so they will sent Adam Larsson to this tourney, although he plays for seniors. All depands on age. If you have junior age, you can go to tourney. Of course, your team must be junior champion of country.

About NCAA, team University of Notre Dame should visit Moscow, St.Petersbourg and Omsk in august 2011 to play some games against MHL teams. Look the same article.

Есть еще один интересный
    проект, конечно, гораздо меньшего масштаба, но тем не менее в рамках нашей
    международной деятельности, мы общаемся с Американской хоккейной ассоциацией
    университетов, объединяющей университеты, в которых есть хоккейные команды. В
    августе этого года к нам приедет команда Университета «Ноттердам»,
    это очень сильный частный колледж, одна из лучших университетских команд
    Америки. Эта команда планирует посетить Санкт-Петербург, Москву, Омск, то есть
    в районе 18-20 августа есть предварительная договоренность о том, что
    «Омские ястребы» сыграют здесь с ними. Вот такие у нас
    Наполеоновские планы, надеюсь, что все они будут реализованы, и вы станете их
    свидетелями.

My questions for you guys:
    1 Do you think that IIHF will confirm it?
    2 Why is Germany patricipating and Slovakia not? You opinions?
    3 What do you think about TV? Will be some Canadian/US/ other TV interesting in broadcasting that?

Vorky -

Thanks for your post! Very, very interesting to see Notre Dame traveling to Russia for what I hope end up being great games! Hopefully they will lead to more MHL-NCAA D.I games; that would be fantastic.

Also, since the European junior squads can use junior players registered to their club even if they are playing in a men's pro league and not with the junior club in the junior league, that should make the tournament a lot more competitive - meaning that there should be, in my opinion, no real favorites to win the tournament.......which of course, from the viewpoint of having a competitively balanced tournament, is a great thing!

I will be interested to see how the CHL and USHL clubs (as well as Notre Dame later on) adjust to the larger ice surface, as many of these young players may be completely unfamiliar with it.

Oh, and I wouldn't be shocked if the MHL teams win the tournament or even the games against Notre Dame - the MHL looks to be a very high level of play in its own right, judging by how well Metallurg Magnitogorsk's MHL juniors did against not only Metallurg itself, but also two other KHL clubs in the pre-season.

Have other MHL junior teams played competitive games against KHL and/or Vyshaya clubs?

Marc, thx for reply.

Notre Dame, my russian is not great, but this NCAA team should travel to Russia. Just read russian text. Could you type something about this NCAA team? its quality, etc. I know, that they won NCAA in 08/09.

Basic question is my first (see upper). Will IIHF confirm this tourney in this format?

Could someone answer my Questions? thx

I've actually been googling a bit for a list of nationalities in the CHL, but can't seem to find one. Would be interesting to know the exact percentage of foreign players in the league so we could compare better.
    as per eliteprospects.com

OHL: Canada 376. United States 69. Europeans 34.
    WHL: Canada 462. United States 31. Europeans 39.
    QMJHL: Canada 422. United States 6. Europeans 35.

Quote Originally Posted by vorky View Post
    Marc, thx for reply.

Notre Dame, my russian is not great, but this NCAA team should travel to Russia. Just read russian text. Could you type something about this NCAA team? its quality, etc. I know, that they won NCAA in 08/09.

Basic question is my first (see upper). Will IIHF confirm this tourney in this format?

Could someone answer my Questions? thx
    Not to nitpick, but Boston College beat Notre Dame in the finals that year, 4-1. But second place isn't too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post

Thanks for the info :-)

So, if my math is correct :

OHL :
    21,5% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    7,1% foreign players (if Americans are considered non-foreign)

WHL :
    13,2% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    7,3% foreign players (if Americans are considered non-foreign)

QMJHL :
    8,9% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    7,6% foreign players (if Americans are considered non-foreign)

Canadian Hockey League total :
    14,5% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)

USHL :
    10,1% foreign players (if Canadians are considered foreign)
    5,9% foreign players (if Canadians are considered non-foreign)

NCAA Div I :
    33,3% foreign players (if Canadians are considered foreign)
    2,4% foreign players (if Canadians are considered non-foreign)

Swedish J20 SuperElit :
    3,8% foreign players

MHL :
    18,1% foreign players (if Latvians, Belarusians, Ukrainians and Kazakhs are considered foreign)
    1,1% foreign players (if Latvians, Belarusians, Ukrainians and Kazakhs are considered non-foreign)

Finnish Jr. A SM-liiga :
    2,5% foreign players

Czech U20 :
    11,1% foreign players

Swiss Junioren Elite A :
    6,3% foreign players

Interestingly, there is one American citizen playing in the MHL - although judging by his name he is of Russian descent :
    Michael Vishnevetsky

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Not to nitpick, but Boston College beat Notre Dame in the finals that year, 4-1. But second place isn't too shabby.
    I dont know... I dont follow NCAA.. my info´s are from this webpage and there is Notre Dame as champion...
    thx for correction

Michael Vishnevetsky
    Yes, he is russian native, he lived in NA some period of life.

There are two Swedes in Yunost Minsk and one Czech (other one was fired) in Orenburg in MHL.

Martin SImon (Czech) and two Swedes: Karlsson and Signal Bergius

Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post

Looking at these numbers, we see that:

- In the OHL, the number of American players would just fill out the rosters of the three American teams in the league (assuming the teams carry a few extra players for injury-replacement purposes, as most do)
    - In the WHL, there are an average of just over 6 Americans in the league for each of the 5 American teams.
    - In the QMJHL, there are 6 Americans and one single American club.

In other words, while there are more Americans than one might think in these leagues, they are still proportionally very few compared to the number of US-based teams.

IHF Member
    looking forward to this, hope it's televised.

Quote Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
    looking forward to this, hope it's televised.
    me too, but first I hope IIHF will confirm it

I dont know... I dont follow NCAA.. my info´s are from this webpage and there is Notre Dame as champion...
    thx for correction
    Hello,
    the 'Champion' EliteProspects is refering to is a conference Championship. That year Notre Dame won the CCHA (Central Collegiate Hockey Association) which is kind of like winning their league when refering to NCAA hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Hello,
    the 'Champion' EliteProspects is refering to is a conference Championship. That year Notre Dame won the CCHA (Central Collegiate Hockey Association) which is kind of like winning their league when refering to NCAA hockey.
    thx, I did not know

According to this IIHF confirmed this World Cup and participants

IHF Member
    As far as Notre Dame goes, NCAA teams are allowed by a little utilized provision to go overseas once every four years. Michigan State did this in August, so I assume Notre Dame is simply doing the same thing here. I don't anticipate the NCAA participating in this tournament, but that doesn't mean we might not see more NCAA teams come over to play European clubs.

We'll see if the CHL gets on board with this. If not, it's possible it could be the Jr. A champion from the CJAHL that participates.

IHF Member
    Thanks for the info :-)

So, if my math is correct :

OHL :
    21,5% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    7,1% foreign players (if Americans are considered non-foreign)

WHL :
    13,2% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)

QMJHL :
    8,9% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    7,6% foreign players (if Americans are considered non-foreign)

Canadian Hockey League total :
    14,5% foreign players (if Americans are considered foreign)
    Of course, it should be noted that there are 5 American teams in the WHL out of 22 teams being American (22.7%), 3 out of 20 OHL teams are American (15%), and 1 out of 16 QMJHL teams are American (6.3%). So overall, the percentages are about right.

Quote Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
    We'll see if the CHL gets on board with this. If not, it's possible it could be the Jr. A champion from the CJAHL that participates.
    All sources (all are russian) say that Memorial champion will participate.. Guys, when you read confirmation from CHL, sent a link here pls.

Quote Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
    As far as Notre Dame goes, NCAA teams are allowed by a little utilized provision to go overseas once every four years. Michigan State did this in August, so I assume Notre Dame is simply doing the same thing here. I don't anticipate the NCAA participating in this tournament, but that doesn't mean we might not see more NCAA teams come over to play European clubs.

Not to nitpick again, but it was Michigan Tech, not State; I'd have bet that MSU would have won the tournament if they went over, instead of Tech. It's also worth noting that Michigan Tech was only allowed to use players that had already played one season there, so the incoming freshmen weren't allowed to make the trip. IMO, that might limit the participation/success of any NCAA teams, as they may want to bring their whole team(s) over, not missing several freshmen players.

IHF Member
    Correct on it being Michigan Tech.

Anyways, got an email from the IIHF about the MHL report and they claim it is incorrect, that the IIHF has not made a decision on their involvement, and that the participating nations have yet to sign off on it. That's the official word on the matter for the time being.

That being said, they did describe the discussions as 'in progress'.

Interview of Efimov (MHL)

No decision about participants, National federations will or not send a confirmation to IIHF.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    "И все же какой Кубок мира без канадцев?
    Их реакция не стала для нас неожиданной. Любой хоккейный проект, придуманный не в Канаде, не вызывает там энтузиазма"

LOL same old, same old
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Why would Finland refuse and the US hesitate?

Why would Finland refuse and the US hesitate?
    sorry, I dont know... only my info is that russian text written above... try to translate it ... I hope my translation is ok

EDIT:
    Maybe US has not replied?? I dont know.. my russian and google arent ideal

My guess the US would hesitate is because well.. They don't want to get embarrassed by the Soviets? :P I reading this post.. NCAA teams are the best and all.. I have only ever watched 1 NCAA game and it must have been a bad one because it didn't see all that impressive! But Didn't Russian Juniors win the World Champs? So how come people automatically suspect that the USA (Especially these) and Canada would be dominant int such a tournament?

Plus the Canadian's and US would probably not take such a tournament seriously like usual. 'Its not our league so why bother'

Thanks

Gazz
    p.s all good mannered ofcourse :D
    Dinamo Riga | Manchester Phoenix | Boston Bruins | Lokomotiv 7th September 2011

If this is played:

Likely winner- Memorial Cup Champion (CHL)

Likely candidates for an upset- USHL Champion and Swedish Superelit
    Less likely but still a contender- MHL

Others.... I doubt if they could do damage...

who is junior champion of Latvia and Belarus? or will they send MHL team (Riga or one of Minsk´s teams)? Many Questions..

I know that junior champions of

Slovakia– HC Košice
    Czech rep – HC Znojemští Orli
    Sweden– HC Frölunda
    Russia (MHL) – Red Army CSKA

I believe its safe to assume that Latvia will just send HK Riga, otherwise, I rather we not even send a club.

Gazz, NCAA D.I teams have beaten clubs from the KHL (CSKA & Spartak), SEL, DEL, the French and Italian Olympic teams......average NCAA D.I teams and above are very, very strong, easily able to play competitively against any pro club in the world. A couple of NCAA D.I teams have played in the Spengler Cup as well, winning a few games here and there.

Michigan Tech - which has gone something like 5-30 the past two seasons in a row in NCAA D.I play, beat EBEL and German Bundesliga teams this past preseason, and played a very close game against DEL's Augsburger..............and they are a bad NCAA D.I team.

I'm not saying an NCAA D.I team couldn't or wouldn't lose here, but they'd be the favorites for sure, along with the Memorial Cup winners. Windsor, a Canadian Major Jr. team, beat the Czech U-20 National Team this past season right before the World Juniors.

But we've seen the MHL team for Metallurg Magnitogorsk beat VHL and even KHL teams in exhibitions.....an MHL team would be a strong contender, and I would not be at all surprised for them to win the tournament on home ice. Plus, as has been mentioned, the other junior clubs would be using guys who qualify as being young enough, even if they don't play for that junior team in its junior league, but rather play pro with the main (men's) club affiliated with that junior team, so that will equalize things, or perhaps even tip the scales in favor of the European clubs in certain cases.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 01-05-2011 at 16:52.

I dont think that NCAA team will compete here... age limit is 21 years. I prefer champion of USHL. Maybe some lower junior league in US. We discussed it above.

Is there any discussion about this tourney in US/CAN? Is there any statements of directors (or so) of CHL/USHL or hockey federations of Canada/ USA?

who is junior champion of Latvia and Belarus? or will they send MHL team
    If it's U21 tournament, I'd say we should probably send our MHL team. At least in that way the games will be more interesting and competitive as our MHL team is sort of (not entirely though, as Liepājas Metalurgs has a strong hockey school and some of their players remain there) the compilation of best Latvian talent (not playing abroad already).

IHF Member
    This is old news, but appears to not have been mentioned here. Canada will be represented by the Alberta Junior Hockey League team, the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

http://www.ajhl.ca/news.html?newsID=335

Oil Barons to Represent Canada at World Junior Club Cup in Russia
    2011 April 7th

The Fort McMurray Oil Barons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League will represent Canada at the inaugural World Junior Club Cup (WJCC) from August 30 to September 4, 2011 in Omsk, Russia.

Eight clubs from Canada, the USA, Russia, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, and Czech Republic, all champions of national junior championships under 21, will take part in the World Cup. This event is sanctioned by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF).

"The Oil Barons are thrilled to be chosen by Hockey Canada out of 135 Canadian Junior "A" teams to compete in this tournament. Fort McMurray and the Oil Barons made history with the Northern Classic less than a year ago, and we hope to go to Omsk and come back with the Cup," said Andrew Boutilier, President of the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

"It's going to be a once in a lifetime experience for the players on and off the ice. Not only will they play against teams that play different styles, but learn a new culture as well," stated Gord Thibodeau, General Manager and Head Coach of the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

"This international club team tournament hosted by the Russian Hockey Federation is a very special and unique honour and responsibility," said Scott Smith, Chief Operating Officer of Hockey Canada. "Hockey Canada would like to thank the CJHL and the Fort McMurray Oil Barons for accepting this challenge - we have no doubt that this fine hockey organization will represent Hockey Canada with pride and passion in Russia this summer."

"The Alberta Junior Hockey League is thrilled that these players will have the opportunity to experience international competition and travel as participants in the first ever World Junior Club Cup," stated Craig T. Cripps, President of the AJHL. "This will be one of the most memorable experiences of their careers and lives."

"The CJHL is proud to support the Fort McMurray Oil Barons and the first ever World Junior Club Cup. We look forward to working with Hockey Canada, the Russian Hockey Federation and the IIHF on this inaugural event," said Kirk Lamb, Chairman of the CJHL. "The Oil Barons are one of the premier Junior 'A' organizations in the country and we have no doubt that they will represent Canada, the CJHL and Canadian Junior 'A' hockey with class."

In 2000, Fort McMurray hosted and won the Royal Bank Cup National Junior "A" Championship. The Oil Barons were AJHL champions in 1997, 2000 and 2006. They have gone to the AJHL Final five of the past eight seasons.

Fort McMurray, a city of over 78,000, is young, vibrant and full of excitement for the players and fans alike. On November 26th, 2010, the Fort McMurray Oil Barons hosted the Drayton Valley Thunder in Canada's first outdoor junior hockey game in front of an AJHL record attendance of 5,726 fans.

Oil Baron Alumni includes:

Chris Phillips, Ottawa Senators
    Scottie Upshall, Columbus Blue Jackets
    Paul Dainton, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
    Branden Gracel, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
    Brad Stebner, Michigan Technological University
    Looks like Hockey Canada decided that a team from the Canadian Junior Hockey League would represent Canada. I imagine that the CHL decided not to become involved with this. I am slightly surprised that the CJHL wouldn't send the Royal Bank Cup champion.

IHF Member
    Maybe CHL scared to get their champ "whipped" on big ice surface and lose some prestige?

If they participate, they should at least send the Royal Bank Cup winner.

Dissapointing IMHO, when every other participant is a "champion".

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realcloutier View Post
    Maybe CHL scared to get their champ "whipped" on big ice surface and lose some prestige?
    I see no other explanation
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

If it is true, I am just sad... Hockey Canada it is tourney of junior CHAMPIONS!! Send winner of CHL or dont participate. It is offence of european junior hockey!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information